NECA Aliens

Started by DerelictShip, Jul 07, 2013, 12:50:59 AM

Author
NECA Aliens (Read 815,877 times)

Vark_

Vark_

Yup, I've seen the lips thing on another forum, and some issues too as seen in the video. I've even seen a missing tail spike somewhere, talking about QC...
Yet the most frequent complaints are about the softness of the leg joints and the overall stability, and it's not about weird / action poses, many say it can't even stand staight ! So be advised a 1/6 figure stand is recommended.

After hearing about all this, considering the price this fella costs here in Europe, I'd better save my money for the Cinemachines.

Flexserve

Flexserve

Quote from: Vark_ on Dec 18, 2015, 12:47:13 AM
Yup, I've seen the lips thing on another forum, and some issues too as seen in the video. I've even seen a missing tail spike somewhere, talking about QC...
Yet the most frequent complaints are about the softness of the leg joints and the overall stability, and it's not about weird / action poses, many say it can't even stand staight ! So be advised a 1/6 figure stand is recommended.

After hearing about all this, considering the price this fella costs here in Europe, I'd better save my money for the Cinemachines.

I got mine today and the top lips were not glued in, nor in the box. I have to return it and get another! Waited 8 months and got VERY poor QC'd figure.

windebieste

windebieste

Mine arrived about 2 hours ago.  I don't seem to have the lips issues like others appear to be experiencing.  But yes, you will need a display stand to get the most out of the potential poses this figure is capable of.  Otherwise it will spend a lot of its time lying on its face.

Other than that, it's a nice item, well detailed with a great range of articulation throughout the figure.

-Windebieste.

StayFrosty

StayFrosty

I have my 1/4 Big Chap now and I love it.

There are a few problems, however.

- As said in one of the review videos, it's very hard to get the alien's back spikes in properly, as you have to assemble that yourself. It really hurt my hands. I even had to lubricate one of the parts, with lip gloss which I had handy, to get it in properly.

- The inner jaw is hard to get out all the way. I seemed to have loosened mine a bit now, but at first the only way I could get it out all the way was by using my TEETH to pull it out. I basically had to make out with the figure. Good thing about it is, once you get it out, the jaw extends quite far.

- I turned the left foot too far, and it popped off. I can pop it back in easily, but now it keeps coming off if you apply too much pressure.

- The legs are hard to move, and the clicking sound they make sounds awful, like it's breaking. At first I thought I was indeed breaking it. Not the case though. But when I took it out of the box, they were extremely hard to move and I was quite confused.

- There are marks on the dome you can see from where it's glued together. They're not extremely noticeable, but they're there. One guy mentioned wanted to return his figure because of this, and other reasons, but this issue is going to affect pretty much all of them, as it always has on Neca's Big Chaps. At least my dome is sealed down properly.

Overall, the figure looks great, and the articulation is good. I don't regret buying it at all, but it's depressing to hear about the problems people are having. Neca needs to get their act together. Still, this is great improvement over the original 1/4 Big Chap they released in 2008 or whatever, which also had quality control problems.

I do NOT have problems standing mine upright as long as it's against a wall or something, which I usually do with my figures.

windebieste

windebieste

I think NECA will have to deal with a lot of flak from some very irate fans on this figure.  It's not stable enough to stand up straight on its own, people are reporting issues with its lips.  That's already well documented.  Also, the whole assembling of the figure is poor as well. 

The assembly process is made a LOT easier if you dip the ends of the dorsal appendages into very hot water to soften the piece before you apply it to the figure.  But really, this assembly shouldn't be necessary at all.  NECA should have made sure the box was large enough to accommodate the complete figure in the first place.  I can safely bet that this method was employed so that an additional row of boxes would fit on a shipping pallet more than any other reason.  The truth is, no one cares about how many f**king boxes can fit on a pallet - all they care about is a complete quality product that fulfills expectations. 

Yes.  It is an improvement over the original 1/4 scale figure, but it also feels like a trade-off in some areas.  At least it (almost) stands up when removed from the box.  At least it has its legs attached.  Nonetheless,  this seems to be an item where QA spent their time down at the pub rather than doing their job.  I am not sure how you would get around the top-heavy problems of the figure not standing, but the issues with lips and assembling the thing shouldn't exist.   Instead of being an 'OK figure ...with some caveats' this could easily have been a top item.

-Windebieseste.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: windebieste on Dec 18, 2015, 03:54:59 AM
Mine arrived about 2 hours ago.  I don't seem to have the lips issues like others appear to be experiencing.  But yes, you will need a display stand to get the most out of the potential poses this figure is capable of.  Otherwise it will spend a lot of its time lying on its face.

Other than that, it's a nice item, well detailed with a great range of articulation throughout the figure.

-Windebieste.
Looks like you have the variant with the lips curled back.

windebieste

windebieste

Ah, you mentioned earlier that there was 2 versions.  I was wondering what you meant.   It's the lips, is it?  Well, in that case I prefer this arrangement.  The other set of lips look like the alien is wearing a mouth guard.  The figure I have does look like it's snarling.

-Windebieste.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Apart from the translucent mouth guard-look,this variant also looks like it has the fangs on the end of the tongue in a clenched position.

I have the version with teeth bared and lips curled back-the same as yours.

windebieste

windebieste

Ours are probably part of the same production batch - All of them in Australia might have that curled lip feature.  It will be interesting to see if everyone here who buys one here receives the curled lip variant.  If they are all part of the same batch, then they will possibly have the same level of QA as well.

Aside from some design issues that will be inherent on all samples (It's top heavy and lacks stability, some assembly required.), mine appears to be near flawless.  I'm happy with it; but the inconsistent quality reported so far is a concern.

-Windebieste.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: windebieste on Dec 18, 2015, 08:55:59 PM
Ours are probably part of the same production batch - All of them in Australia might have that curled lip feature.  It will be interesting to see if everyone here who buys one here receives the curled lip variant.  If they are all part of the same batch, then they will possibly have the same level of QA as well.

Aside from some design issues that will be inherent on all samples (It's top heavy and lacks stability, some assembly required.), mine appears to be near flawless.  I'm happy with it; but the inconsistent quality reported so far is a concern.

-Windebieste.
Mine is in good condition too(no issue with the lips or air bubbles with the dome)but i noticed that once removed from the box,the dome has a couple of black line marks(paint)on the middle right hand side.I tried to remove them with some warm water and a couple of drops of dish washing liquid,some of it is gone but its a slow process.Would you recommend a better method of removing paint from such a surface?The heatwave here in Australia is a blessing in disguise,i had no difficulty in attaching the dorsal spines and tubes to the figure as the heat had already softened the plastic.

At the moment i'm looking around for a display stand for this figure,any recommendations?

I noticed a small satchel packed underneath the dorsal tubes.Any idea what purpose this might serve?

Vark_

Vark_

Mate finish black display stands may do the trick with this figure rather than translucent ones. You have a wide variety of them on the web. I'd choose a smooth shaped base if i were you, fits better the design of the Alien than square / angled ones IMO. Besides, some are cheap and yet worthy, no need to buy the 50$ Hot Toys stand for instance.

An example :
http://www.kghobby.com/black-metal-c-shape-stand-for-1-6-action-figure/

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: Vark_ on Dec 18, 2015, 10:41:42 PM
Mate finish black display stands may do the trick with this figure rather than translucent ones. You have a wide variety of them on the web. I'd choose a smooth shaped base if i were you, fits better the design of the Alien than square / angled ones IMO. Besides, some are cheap and yet worthy, no need to buy the 50$ Hot Toys stand for instance.

An example :
http://www.kghobby.com/black-metal-c-shape-stand-for-1-6-action-figure/
Very stylish,should complement the figure nicely.Thanks!

windebieste

windebieste

Yes. Those stands are very good.  I'd recommend it.  I actually have something very similar in use for this figure:

It's height adjustable at the back, too, so finding an ideal position to display the figure is easy.  I need more of these things; but for now, I've packed the new figure back into his box until I get around to buying more of these stands.  He's safer in the box.  I don't like the idea of it falling over and getting damaged.  I've had enough experience with dropping figures to want to avoid that happening again.  I don't think it would be repairable if the head came off.  lol. 

-Windebieste.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: windebieste on Dec 19, 2015, 07:26:57 AM
Yes. Those stands are very good.  I'd recommend it.  I actually have something very similar in use for this figure:

It's height adjustable at the back, too, so finding an ideal position to display the figure is easy.  I need more of these things; but for now, I've packed the new figure back into his box until I get around to buying more of these stands.  He's safer in the box.  I don't like the idea of it falling over and getting damaged.  I've had enough experience with dropping figures to want to avoid that happening again.  I don't think it would be repairable if the head came off.  lol. 

-Windebieste.
The base width is only 13.8cm wide,i'm not sure that a 1/6 scale display is suitable for a 1/4 scale figure?I like that it's metal and not plastic,something larger,but the same style would be perfect.

Sorry to hear about your 35 year old figure taking a dive;that must burn.I'm paranoid about this new figure and want to do the best by him.The little f**ker set me back $200AU.

windebieste

windebieste

I completely understand where your paranoia is coming from.  The stand in the photo above is 15cm diameter -  not much bigger than the one that Vark_ linked to.   I also spent around AU$200 for the NECA item and I'm happy to use that stand for the more valuable Kenner item and keep the NECA secure in a box for now.  I have no qualms about recommending a stand of that nature; and for sure, the wider diameter base is desirable and you should be able to find something more accommodating to your needs.

It's too bad I only have one of those stands.  I gotta buy more of them.

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed