Prometheus influences in Man of Steel?

Started by bishoop, Jun 20, 2013, 05:32:08 PM

Author
Prometheus influences in Man of Steel? (Read 8,652 times)

Gash

I've been very dubious about the rash of superhero films although I had no preconceptions about a reboot of Superman - in fact I was happy to give it all my good will seeing as Supes is the daddy of them all, but after seeing MoS it only confirmed my suspicions that these films are soulless effects driven affairs where plot and dialogue are well down in the pecking order. I certainly won't bother seeing another if. I've never actually walked out on any film - I've paid my money I might as well see it through - but I came close to walking out on Man of Steel through sheer boredom.

SM

no, it wasn't directly in the Prometheus film, but it seemed to be some boring thing that Lindelof wanted to infer as an idea and well Ridley Scott had a few words to say about it and I hope they don't go any further with it

Be kinda bizarre if they did seeing as how Engineers visited Earth after the time of Christ, as per the film, but never exacted any divine vengeance.

Gilfryd

Quote from: Gash on Jun 21, 2013, 10:28:05 PMthese films are soulless effects driven affairs where plot and dialogue are well down in the pecking order.

Kind of a broad statement.

SM

No one really cares if they are.  They're fun.

Whether they're boring or not is an entirely different matter. 'Cos they're generally not.

Gash

Gash

I was amazed on emerging from the cinema that the film wasn't much over two hours. Too many films drag their showpiece confrontations on and on IMHO. I don't really have any great desire to evoke the presence of Richard Donner over all who follow but there was more heart lifting epic majesty in the 4 minute 'helicopter scene' from 1978 than there was in half an hour of the very noisy destruction of Metropolis. In it's favour I think MoS had a good cast and a very good lead, but it didn't engage me and in fact I was getting restless long before the collateral damage started to play out.

Have to applaud Christopher Nolan and Zack Snyder for somehow making Superman Returns and Supergirl suddenly seem like much better films in the pantheon of Super flicks.

I found the drabness of it visually - design wise - Superman's muted costume for example - a weird and self conscious move away from the positivity of the character and the vague shades of the Gigeresque at odds with Superman being it's own distinct thing.

Maybe there is a good superhero film in the recent trend for them, but the bits I've caught on TV of things like the Hulk, Iron Man, Fantastic Four, Spiderman, X Men whatever... all look much of a muchness. I freely admit that it might well be that my taste has just changed because the vast majority of genre blockbusters - in the modern style (character over plot, effects over dialogue) leave me cold.

Prometheus on the other hand at least feels somewhat like Sci-Fi used to be, and looks amazing in a realistic way.

Seriously I couldn't sit through Man of Steel again and I'm not sure what they could do in promoting a sequel that would get me back.

Darth Vile

Quote from: Gash on Jun 22, 2013, 12:04:21 AM
I was amazed on emerging from the cinema that the film wasn't much over two hours. Too many films drag their showpiece confrontations on and on IMHO. I don't really have any great desire to evoke the presence of Richard Donner over all who follow but there was more heart lifting epic majesty in the 4 minute 'helicopter scene' from 1978 than there was in half an hour of the very noisy destruction of Metropolis. In it's favour I think MoS had a good cast and a very good lead, but it didn't engage me and in fact I was getting restless long before the collateral damage started to play out.

Have to applaud Christopher Nolan and Zack Snyder for somehow making Superman Returns and Supergirl suddenly seem like much better films in the pantheon of Super flicks.

I found the drabness of it visually - design wise - Superman's muted costume for example - a weird and self conscious move away from the positivity of the character and the vague shades of the Gigeresque at odds with Superman being it's own distinct thing.

Maybe there is a good superhero film in the recent trend for them, but the bits I've caught on TV of things like the Hulk, Iron Man, Fantastic Four, Spiderman, X Men whatever... all look much of a muchness. I freely admit that it might well be that my taste has just changed because the vast majority of genre blockbusters - in the modern style (character over plot, effects over dialogue) leave me cold.

Prometheus on the other hand at least feels somewhat like Sci-Fi used to be, and looks amazing in a realistic way.

Seriously I couldn't sit through Man of Steel again and I'm not sure what they could do in promoting a sequel that would get me back.
That's pretty much how I feel. I quite liked Iron Man 3... but I think that's more down to liking Robert DJ than anything else. I felt somewhat out in the cold after The Avengers Assemble movie - being in a minority of people who just thought it was mindless spectacle over anything resembling substance (devoid of design, cinematography, score etc).

SM

Avengers was entirely predictable from the first trailer.  Still great fun.

RoaryUK

Avengers Assemble is 143 minutes of mindless fun that seems to pass by in a fraction of the time.  Somehow Man of Steel, which runs exactly the same length and has bags of action, just doesn't do the same for some reason.

wmmvrrvrrmm

I didn't find Avengers Assemble to be my cup of tea at all. I preferred Man of Steel. I probably have a hard time liking anything that Joss Whedon has any control over

John Doe

Hammerpede:

Steelpede: :cuniao

Spoiler
[close]

SteelHammer:

Spoiler
[close]

bishoop

this MOS prequel comic is very Prometheusy:
http://imgur.com/a/mMCZm

Aspie

Gilfryd

Quote from: Gash on Jun 22, 2013, 12:04:21 AMHave to applaud Christopher Nolan and Zack Snyder for somehow making Superman Returns and Supergirl suddenly seem like much better films in the pantheon of Super flicks.

John Doe

Novak 1334

Quote from: Gilfryd on Jun 25, 2013, 02:34:55 AM
Quote from: Gash on Jun 22, 2013, 12:04:21 AMHave to applaud Christopher Nolan and Zack Snyder for somehow making Superman Returns and Supergirl suddenly seem like much better films in the pantheon of Super flicks.

http://www.dedleg.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/homer_face_melt.gif

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed