Jack Palgen to Write the Script

Started by Aspie, Jun 17, 2013, 11:43:47 PM

Author
Jack Palgen to Write the Script (Read 53,788 times)

T Dog

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Jun 19, 2013, 05:31:03 AM
Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 18, 2013, 10:01:21 PM
I would agree that Noomi's character is neither likable or memorable. She weighed the film down with her presence. Vickers had more gravitas and dimension then Shaw. I think I'm still in disbelief at how bad portions of this movie are. I just want to slap Scott upside the head. His mistakes are so P.T. Anderson, so beneath his experiences.
not P.T. Anderson, it's  Paul WS Anderson. Paul Thomas Anderson would never make a sci-fi movie.

I wouldn't rule out PTA doing a sci fi considering how his last two movies seem to have a Kubrick influence. The opening of There Will Be Blood is essentially The Dawn Of Man sequence from 2001.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 18, 2013, 07:06:51 PM
The acting from half the cast is dreadful -- Rafe Spall can't even make up his mind whether to use a stupid southern accent in some scenes or speak normally in others.
I can't really remember any scenes where he spoke with a middle class British accent??? Although saying that I do always wonder why they don't just employ American actors to play Americans or change the character to 'British' to simply make it easier for the actors involved. It's not like Millburn or Janek needed to be American... I'm just glad that they didn't make Ian Holm or John Hurt speak with US accents...

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 18, 2013, 10:25:36 PM
Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Jun 18, 2013, 09:56:39 PM
Ridley Scott is the only person on Earth who is allowed to screw up the series; he pioneered the A L I E N beginning after all!

No-one should be 'allowed' to screw it up. What you've just stated is precisely the problem with the public's perception... He, on his own, was not the one who pioneered it. It was the sum total of a lot of different visionaries. Sometimes, he hired people and didn't even bother to look over their contributions much, if at all. Chris Foss would be very much a case in point.

The problem with this quote is that film making is a business and any film that almost triples its cost in revenue, is just not a screw-up. Also, and Im not trying to start some flame war, but most people liked it enough... Personally, I just felt it was hurt by involving the Alien at all. I wish they would have saved them for the sequel because once they ad that monster element people are shaking their fingers if it doesn't become what Alien was, and Prometheus was interested in telling a different kind of story. If and when it stuck to those aspects, I think it suceeded. But fans wanted it to be an ALIEN film and so the Producers forced the hand to stir in certain things which led to a soup being created that was fine but didn't work as a stand-alone film.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: CainsSon on Jun 19, 2013, 04:39:05 PM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 18, 2013, 10:25:36 PM
Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Jun 18, 2013, 09:56:39 PM
Ridley Scott is the only person on Earth who is allowed to screw up the series; he pioneered the A L I E N beginning after all!

No-one should be 'allowed' to screw it up. What you've just stated is precisely the problem with the public's perception... He, on his own, was not the one who pioneered it. It was the sum total of a lot of different visionaries. Sometimes, he hired people and didn't even bother to look over their contributions much, if at all. Chris Foss would be very much a case in point.

The problem with this quote is that film making is a business and any film that almost triples its cost in revenue, is just not a screw-up. Also, and Im not trying to start some flame war, but most people liked it enough... Personally, I just felt it was hurt by involving the Alien at all. I wish they would have saved them for the sequel because once they ad that monster element people are shaking their fingers if it doesn't become what Alien was, and Prometheus was interested in telling a different kind of story. If and when it stuck to those aspects, I think it suceeded. But fans wanted it to be an ALIEN film and so the Producers forced the hand to stir in certain things which led to a soup being created that was fine but didn't work as a stand-alone film.
I agree... I think it could be deemed a 'screw up' in terms of it attempting to be as original, as ground breaking or as scary as Alien. However, when viewed in context, and objectively, I personally think it's a pretty good sci-fi film (although I'd admit not in the same league as Alien). It also made sheds of money...

Prometheus2 - good luck with that.

The show must go on I guess. Could be ground breaking deep-space sci-fi, in the right hands.

Hoping for a bio-mechanical-psychological thriller 'Forbidden Planet' on steroids this time, a more coherent script and bigger Space Jockies - sorry - Engineers, of course.  :laugh:

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Powerloader on Jun 19, 2013, 05:11:42 AM
I can't wait for Fox to announce the news they are rebooting ALIEN.  :laugh:

"You secure that shit, Hudson!"  :D

I personally can't wait for them to get movin' on Prometheus 2. For all its narrative flaws, the original is still an enjoyable sensory experience, and I find myself watching it a lot. I'll always appreciate sci-fi/horror films with real craftsmanship that are able to avoid having cameras going down peoples' throats, and such...

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jun 19, 2013, 11:37:39 PM
Quote from: Powerloader on Jun 19, 2013, 05:11:42 AM
I can't wait for Fox to announce the news they are rebooting ALIEN.  :laugh:

"You secure that shit, Hudson!"  :D

I personally can't wait for them to get movin' on Prometheus 2. For all its narrative flaws, the original is still an enjoyable sensory experience, and I find myself watching it a lot. I'll always appreciate sci-fi/horror films with real craftsmanship that are able to avoid having cameras going down peoples' throats, and such...

^^THIS^^ ..and definitely NO to any Alien reboot!!

Nightmare Asylum

Prometheus already was pretty much a reboot, albeit an in-continuity one.

Xenomorphine

As I recall, the murmurs were that this was going to be a remake of 'Alien'. Then it got changed to a direct prequel, then changed (again) to what ended up being 'Prometheus.

And, after having just rewatched 'District 9' for the first time in ages, there was something awfully familiar about seeing an alien race of insectoid-looking creatures who had something to do with an urn-like container with black fluid in it, which caused a human being to begin painfully mutating...

Interestingly, the stuff on there was being used as a fuel, not a weapon, even though it had extremely similar properties to what was shown on 'Prometheus'. That it caused genetic mutations was clarified as being incidental.

Good to see the theory I've been favouring for a while has ended up on the big screen somehow. :laugh:

The similarities were very obvious, though. In retrospect, I'm surprised that more hasn't been made of it. Cross 'Alien Versus Predator' with 'District 9' and you basically get the story of 'Prometheus'.

SM

SM

QuoteIn retrospect, I'm surprised that more hasn't been made of it.

People were too busy screaming "X-FILES RIP OFFF!!!!!!1!!" like body snatchers...

Xenomorphine

I stopped watching that show after the first or second series. Couldn't get into that debate, unfortunately.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: SM on Jun 20, 2013, 03:27:46 AM
QuoteIn retrospect, I'm surprised that more hasn't been made of it.

People were too busy screaming "X-FILES RIP OFFF!!!!!!1!!" like body snatchers...
'like body snatchers'

I nearly spilled my morning beverage, man.

Salt The Fries

I hope they'll apply more serious approach to science, fill in the gaps Prometheus left and for example someone will bring an Engineer from for an analysis and we'll learn something more about properties of black goo, how it affects cells, etc. I'm very confident this part will require creating a corporate story arch possibly involving something more than Weyland Corp. I want the movie to tackle the issue of religion vs science more seriously. That'd require more flashbacks into Weyland's past and Elizabeth's youth. No more silly jumps from caves to spaceships with shitty explanations and no depth. More like a lot more narrative vignettes coldly edited to end abruptly and adding layers to the story in various points of time. I can perfectly picture them in my mind.

Salt The Fries

I think they could really juxtapose Weyland's inability to conceive and the creation of David with Elizabeth's infertility. The former leads to the need of opposing human limits with science, "defying gods", wanting to transcend that; the latter is about exploring everything through the prism of faith and finding answers in it. Overall, this is too important of an angle to ignore it, to not develop it and character flashbacks are the only way to retcon it and give the audience more reasons to care about Elizabeth and her quest.

SM

SM

Weyland conceived Vickers.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed