Alien Encounters Convention videos

Started by ADC, May 11, 2013, 02:41:40 PM

Author
Alien Encounters Convention videos (Read 2,530 times)

ADC

ADC

(Mods, apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong section).

Panels from the Alien Encounters Convention celebrating the 25th anniversary of Aliens are now up on YouTube, for your viewing pleasure. Foremost of these is the cast panel featuring the more unsung heroes – 'grunts' Ricco Ross, Daniel Kash, Colette Hiller, Trevor Steedman and Cynthia Scott.

As already posted on this site a while back (thanks guys), there are also talks and interviews with Charles de Lauzirika (Alien/Prometheus DVD/Blu Ray filmmaker and producer); Chrissie Overs and Chris Trice (sculptor and model makers on Aliens/AvP/Prometheus); Terry English (Aliens/Alien3 amour costumier); as well as Darren Kemp's Alien War documentary from the mid 90s.

And of course all the AvP Galaxy members who attended that fine weekend. Especially Aaron (Cpl. Hicks) who was one of our esteemed guests. I hope these videos (along with Cpl. Hick's review) go some way to showing people who couldn't attend for reasons of distance, time or finance what sort of things go on at these events and maybe entice you in to going to the next one. When that time comes, we'll try to give people a years notice.

Sorry it's taken so long to get these videos online. It gets harder to find the time (or hard drive space!) to make these around work, life, etc. I wish I had more time to dedicate to this sort of stuff. But better late than never, eh?

All the videos can be seen at the link below. Please subscribe for future vids which we'll be adding as we go. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlienEncountersYT?feature

Darwinsgirl

Thanks for posting this!  8)

Was it AvPGalaxy's Corporal Hicks asking the question about the personalization of the marine armor?

Also I wasn't aware that Hicks character was originally cast with another actor Jim...I couldn't quite catch the last name Remo?

Does anyone know why the first Hicks actor was fired?

I especially liked how relaxed the cast was recalling their experiences. It gave me a sense of their actual personalities.

5 stars!!! * * * * *   ;D

viendammage

Quote from: Darwinsgirl on May 11, 2013, 10:22:08 PM

Thanks for posting this!  8)

Was it AvPGalaxy's Corporal Hicks asking the question about the personalization of the marine armor?

Also I wasn't aware that Hicks character was originally cast with another actor Jim...I couldn't quite catch the last name Remo?

I especially liked how relaxed the cast was recalling their experiences. It gave me a sense of their actual personalities.

5 stars!!! * * * * *   ;D

Hicks was originally played by James Remar, an actor who had worked with writer/producer Walter Hill many times in The Warriors, 48 Hours, etc.  I believe it was a week or two into shooting, Remar and Cameron weren't getting along (there were also rumors of Remar having substance abuse issues) and he was let go. 

Michael Biehn received a call on a Friday night from producer Gale Ann Hurd asking if he could come to the UK and take over the role.  He flew over and started that following Monday or Tuesday.  Biehn has mentioned that he played the role a little looser than Remar was before.

Biehn said he took Remar's billing, salary, wardrobe, etc.  If you Google it you should be able to find a few pictures of Remar in costume on set.

ADC

ADC

Possibly, there's no camera on him so it's hard to tell. Cpl Hicks was on form with his questions that weekend, I can confirm.  :)

Carrying on from what viendammage wrote, you might know James Remar from his current role in Dexter:
http://www.dexterdaily.com/2011/09/james-remar-dexter-is-michael-c-hall.html

There's a good article about Remar's involvement in Aliens over at Strange Shapes:
http://alienseries.wordpress.com/2012/10/19/the-other-hicks-james-remar/
There's a quote from Remar on that page where he comes clean. Well worth a read.

All those particular cast members are happy to talk about their time on the film. If you ever meet them, don't be shy!  :)

Darwinsgirl

Thank you veindammage & ADC for posting the links and the reason for James Remar's departure :)

Regrettably the James Remar interview has been removed.

I thoroughly enjoyed Valaquen's article from his Strange Shapes Blog. I now have even more admiration for the cast of ALIENS & for James Remar (from knowing nothing of him before the AE convention video).

The cast for respecting his privacy and not commenting on another's problems. And for James Remar taking responsibilty for his drug abuse / addiction. Not playing the blame game. I'm a victim...it was such n such that made me turn to drugs. It takes a lot of courage to own your mistakes. Kudos to you Sir for this kind of courage...that many of us lack.

The armor question from the audience sure sounded like Corporal Hicks ;)...I've listened to many of the AvPGalaxy Podcasts.
Not just the voice...but the inflections. If I was a gambler....I'd place a bet on it. :D

Its topics like these that keep that keep me coming back to this a 5 star ALIEN site!

cheers

D

Corporal Hicks

I don't think it was me. I don't remember asking anything during the cast panel - Charles' panel is a different story entirely, but the cast one I'm pretty sure I didn't.

Darwinsgirl

^^^

Good thing there's no waggering here...like the lotto here...I'd have lost! :D

Thanks for letting me know Coporal Hicks. :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed