Aliens: Colonial Marines Soundtrack [Updated]

Started by Stringer2355, Feb 21, 2013, 03:51:46 PM

Author
Aliens: Colonial Marines Soundtrack [Updated] (Read 20,987 times)

thecaffeinatedone

Some of the bits here and there were pretty good. For a game it's...okay I guess. I hate sounding like a dick but I wasn't super captivated by the music :b I much preferred his Gears of War soundtrack to this one.

szkoki

szkoki

am i the only one or the whole soundtrack is Alien+Aliens+Resurrection+Prometheus?

too bad there is no bits from Alien3, some part of that soundtrack would fit to the Raven part

BTW its an awesome work! Keeping the old bits together but its not just a simple copy and paste!

enex

enex

Quote from: ikarop on Feb 23, 2013, 07:19:27 AM
Not sure if any tracks are missing but you can extract the OST from the game files:

\Aliens Colonial Marines\PecanGame\CookedPCConsole\Audio_Streaming.pckl

To extract the files yourself:

QuoteYou can use "Extractor" from http://www.box.net/shared/0f0hfp8mz2 , and extract all of the .wav files from that package. Download ww2ogg from http://hcs64.com/vgm_ripping.html and put ww2ogg.exe and packed_codebooks_aoTuV_603.bin in the same place that you extracted the wav files.

Open a command prompt and go to wherever you extracted them. The following shell command will convert everything to .ogg:

FOR /F "tokens=*" %G IN ('DIR /B *.wav') DO ww2ogg.exe "%G" --pcb packed_codebooks_aoTuV_603.bin

then download: http://yirkha.fud.cz/progs/foobar2000/revorb.exe

and run: FOR /F "tokens=*" %G IN ('DIR /B *.ogg') DO revorb.exe "%G"

Many thanks for this.I only had to be in directory for program to be able to run the
command line FOR /F "tokens=*" %G IN ('DIR /B *....
So I typed CD game directory egg: CD C:\User\ex\Desktop\

Jay Thomas

@szkoki I noticed the lack of Alien 3 tunes. I have a special place in my heart for Alien 3 and the music.

Slaine

Slaine

Quote from: SiL on Feb 23, 2013, 07:24:38 AM
Quote from: Slaine on Feb 21, 2013, 06:52:45 PM
I consider Bryan Tyler's score for AVP:R, to be superior at homaging the Alien and Predator films music in a very kick-ass way.
All he did was rip motifs straight out of the older films, use some different instruments in some instances, then threw in Holst's Mars, the Bringer of War for good measure. :-\

Pretty much, but I enjoyed listening to it. Added something to the movie, and implemented the film's scores it homages pretty well (which worked in the context of the film as it's pretty much a big fan homage-fest anyway), more so than what A:CM's did.

AVPR's music felt like an Aliens/Predator score, where I feel A:CM's didn't.

Quote from: Neon_Knight on Feb 23, 2013, 10:34:47 AM
I must confess, while the soundtrack was well executed, well recorded, and well placed, I thought it was sub-par music.  Am I the only one who noticed that almost every track was almost entirely derivative of Horner's score and Goldsmith's score? The main titles is just a re-scoring of Goldsmith's principle Alien theme, almost all of the incidental action music is based very closely on Horner's action music from Aliens. Sure, it's well done and it's effective, but it is just re-writing music that already exists. And worst of all, it's *not as good*. It's very similar, but there's no way it matches the quality of composition and orchestration found in the original films. I was kind of hoping for a *new* score that takes elements of existing themes and motives and develops them into new directions. That's just my conclusion here.

I agree with you. It just felt odd to hear the Goldsmith's Alien music in an ALIENS game. Horner didn't use any of Goldsmith's music in the movie, so why is it in this game which is supposed to be based off Aliens? And yes, besides that, it just wasn't very good. A lot of the shoot-outs could have done well with some pulse-pounding music, but I found the score in these parts to just melt into the background and not do anything significant.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Slaine on Feb 23, 2013, 11:43:57 PM
Pretty much, but I enjoyed listening to it. Added something to the movie, and implemented the film's scores it homages pretty well (which worked in the context of the film as it's pretty much a big fan homage-fest anyway), more so than what A:CM's did.

AvPR's music was a "best of" remix. It's not an homage if you're just copying the music directly.

Slaine

Slaine

Quote from: SiL on Feb 24, 2013, 12:26:40 AM
Quote from: Slaine on Feb 23, 2013, 11:43:57 PM

AvPR's music was a "best of" remix. It's not an homage if you're just copying the music directly.

Hehe, for sure. Pretty much a mix of homage and rip-off remix (like the score of Predators). But I enjoyed it.

SiL

SiL

I liked bits of it, but the stuff that wasn't taken from Predator or Alien 3 ended up sounding like a wall of noise half the time.

Arvs_strikke

Not sure if any tracks are missing but you can extract the OST from the game files:

QuoteYou can use "Extractor" from http://www.box.net/shared/0f0hfp8mz2 , and extract all of the .wav files from that package. Download ww2ogg from http://hcs64.com/vgm_ripping.html and put ww2ogg.exe and packed_codebooks_aoTuV_603.bin in the same place that you extracted the wav files.

Open a command prompt and go to wherever you extracted them. The following shell command will convert everything to .ogg:

FOR /F "tokens=*" %G IN ('DIR /B *.wav') DO ww2ogg.exe "%G" --pcb packed_codebooks_aoTuV_603.bin

Hey i'm abit new to this kinda stuff,  can you help me in the Command Prompt part, cuz everytime I typed it, it always says File not found.  :-\

ikarop

ikarop

Quote from: Arvs_strikke on Feb 24, 2013, 06:49:04 AM

Hey i'm abit new to this kinda stuff,  can you help me in the Command Prompt part, cuz everytime I typed it, it always says File not found.  :-\

Check your PMs.

PRJ_since1990

I honestly liked the score from the game. I don't hate the game either. I just feel like they could have done better. My insatiable appetite for all things Alien/Predator was only barely satisfied here. I really liked what they did for the soundtrack. The homages to the original pieces is something I personally watch out for (because that's the kind of fan I am) but I am not opposed to wholly new and original sounds either.

I think the most interesting aspects of the game are the soundtrack and the story. The execution could have been much stronger, and I did not like the generic CoD approach to the control scheme (Xbox user). 

SM

SM

Courtesy Pulser over at the GBX forums, Kevin Riepl's A:CM soundtrack is available for download.

Only for a limited time apparently.

underbound

I couldnt really here the score in the game with family constantly around and saying every game I have is domonic. But from what I could here it sounded like the ALIENS soundtrack brought over and added. Now to me AVP2010 has a better score than this and other games imo. But it felt out of place tons of times so it means nothing to me.

PRJ_since1990

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: SM on Aug 13, 2013, 12:49:31 AM
Courtesy Pulser over at the GBX forums, Kevin Riepl's A:CM soundtrack is available for download.

Only for a limited time apparently.
Thanks so much for the link! 10,000 thanks to those who made it available as well.

*Edit* The link does work, just downloaded via my browser. I would recommend anyone remotely interested in it or know of someone who would want it, download it before it gets pulled. There is no specified time limit that I saw.

predxeno

Does anyone know how I would download these songs?  I have absolutely no technical experience getting my browser to do anything.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed