The Game's Development Story Discussion

Started by Salt The Fries, Feb 08, 2013, 08:18:47 PM

Author
The Game's Development Story Discussion (Read 99,942 times)

chupacabras acheronsis

chupacabras acheronsis

dead as hell too, you either join a clan or do skirmish for the rest of your life.

RagingDragon

Another interesting video, got some BIA:HH comparisons and other stuff. I guess I really hadn't seen Randy demo any other games, but his borderline idiotic glee and talk of how cool and new everything he's doing is makes my skin crawl now. Same old Randy, what a motherf**ker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heubQ9pqvCM#ws

How can you do that to your own products? The man must have zero artistic integrity. I'm beginning to think they just got lucky with Borderlands, maybe helped out through using money from other projects!

ShadowPred

Yeah, Gearbox should rot in f**king hell.

Pingu

Hi there!

While searching for news, I came upon this five part series from Machinima - "From the Atari 2600 to Colonial Marines" - wich puts the development story in a wider historical context.

Final episode is yet to be released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8dbZGDOmCA#ws

Bounds34

Hello AvP community, please hear my plea. I just like you, am totally disgusted with how ACM has turned out. I am a HUGE fan of the Alien franchise. I have waited 12 long years for this game, anticipated how utterly awesome this game was going to be. We were all sucked in by Randy's lies and false advertisement for this game. False demos, boasts about the next gen lighting, and a story that was going to blow us all away. All filthy disgusting lies.

I think what has upset me the most is that Randy/Gearbox have made no attempt at all really to try and smooth things over with the fans. I know we'll never realistically get it, but an apology or even just a explanation of what really happened to the making of this game. Something must be done. We must not allow Gearbox and Randy Pukeface to get away with this travesty.

I would like to open the floor of what we as a community (grant it we might be small in number), but what we can do to stick it to "The Company." A petition to demand what really happened to the making of this game. Or hell, even a petition for Fox to throw this out as cannon -ahem example: Alien Resurrection, ahem-  :laugh:

I dont know......sigh.......I guess I fell powerless and taken advantage of. I just want some justice. Sorry for the rant.

YutaniDitch

Quote from: ShadowPred on Mar 06, 2013, 01:58:01 AM
Yeah, Gearbox should rot in f**king hell.

I think it's worse than that, Shadow... SEGA and Gearbox signed a contract and SEGA gave them 50 million to do it... Gearbox dragged it's feet and by 2008, SEGA wanted to pull the plug on it... Gearbox eventually convinced them and at the same time, outsourced the whole SP campaign, a vital piece of the game, to a nobody company, TimeGate, resulting in a game that looks like it didn't cost more than 3 mil...So, my question is: what happened to the remaining 47 million?!?! THAT is what SEGA should scrutinise and I think Randy and crew could be facing criminal charges for embezzlement of funds, false advertising, and also, if it is proven that BORDERLANDS was indeed made with SEGA's money, a share of the profits of both BORDERLANDS 1 and 2 are in order for SEGA! Because without BORDERLANDS, there wouldn't be BORDERLANDS 2!

Unless SEGA is a naive company, a company with so many years of experience, they should be suing Gearbox for all those crimes! Because we can easily SEE in the game where all that money went to! There is no way they spent 50 million on that piece of crap game! No way! :-X

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Quote from: Bounds34 on Mar 13, 2013, 07:08:06 AM
Hello AvP community, please hear my plea. I just like you, am totally disgusted with how ACM has turned out. I am a HUGE fan of the Alien franchise. I have waited 12 long years for this game, anticipated how utterly awesome this game was going to be. We were all sucked in by Randy's lies and false advertisement for this game. False demos, boasts about the next gen lighting, and a story that was going to blow us all away. All filthy disgusting lies.

I think what has upset me the most is that Randy/Gearbox have made no attempt at all really to try and smooth things over with the fans. I know we'll never realistically get it, but an apology or even just a explanation of what really happened to the making of this game. Something must be done. We must not allow Gearbox and Randy Pukeface to get away with this travesty.

I would like to open the floor of what we as a community (grant it we might be small in number), but what we can do to stick it to "The Company." A petition to demand what really happened to the making of this game. Or hell, even a petition for Fox to throw this out as cannon -ahem example: Alien Resurrection, ahem-  :laugh:

I dont know......sigh.......I guess I fell powerless and taken advantage of. I just want some justice. Sorry for the rant.
Eh. I really want a novel or something about the development of this game because it's been such a trainwreck and trainwrecks are entertaining in a macabre way. But other than that, there isn't much we can do other than tell people to not buy this game.

I don't see petitions or anything being of any help, since those that worked on the game are probably under NDAs and cannot talk about it without legal repercussions or losing their jobs. I'd love for Randy to come out and speak, but he's their head PR man and doing that would wind up being a nightmare. I guess one hope is that if he goes into a legal battle with Sega, the court might force documents to be released that could give insight into what happened. I'd sure love those.

And it's pretty easy to write this off as not canon considering that it completely breaks canon.

Aceburster

Quote from: Bounds34 on Mar 13, 2013, 07:08:06 AM

Lotta people feeling the same way. The best way to stick it to GBX is to not let anyone forget about it... Boycott if you feel that passionate or AT LEAST wait a couple weeks whenever a Gearbox game releases to stick it to em. Bout 800,000 people who wait a couple weeks damages a company in an unbelievable way. Thats about how many people got shafted with this one so dont forget about it.

More "official" forums are doing everything possible to prevent people from talking about how awful this game is or how much of a group of bastards GBX and co. are so be clever and subtle about it but dont be quiet. They need you to be quiet and forget about it.

Layoffs will keep coming and eventually people will speak up. Use every opportunity you can to use Sega GBX or anyone else you feel is at fault as an example of whats wrong with games and the franchise. Id sign a joke petition to have Randy Pitchford deported :) Just anything to keep reminding people that the guy is a !@#$%^& tool and doesnt deserve another dime.

The Sega facebook page is a good example of thousands of real people bringin the hate. Keep bringin it.

RagingDragon

^This relieves me, Ace.

The Gearbox forums are just a psychotic shit show of poorly-spelled adoration for the game. It's like a troll invasion, or some heinous nightmare, or both. I don't understand how anyone over there can take themselves seriously after this.

I would hope most forums are a variant of our own, which I think is a nice mix of healthy anger and lots of discussion. I don't see anyone attacked for liking the game, because they explain themselves accordingly and don't try and sugar-coat the entire game through their opinion, but I also don't see people abiding this garbage. I'm very happy that people are staying mad. They definitely should be.

and I agree with you, Bounds. I truly wish there were some consequences for the blatant lies they've spun for so long.

SM

SM

QuoteThe Gearbox forums are just a psychotic shit show of poorly-spelled adoration for the game.

They are?  I've seen a metric shit-tonne of people complaining about it.

ikarop

Just try to keep it respectful when talking about other fans/forums whenever possible please.

RagingDragon

This Kotaku article may have already been posted, from the 25th of last month:

http://kotaku.com/5986694/from-dream-to-disaster-the-story-of-aliens-colonial-marines

...but it's full of interesting bits like this:

QuoteAccording to one source, Sega's producers wanted Colonial Marines to feel like Call of Duty—in other words, more shooting marines, less shooting aliens. Upper staff at both Gearbox and TimeGate disagreed with this mentality, the source said, and there was a tug-of-war between developer and publisher on how the game should be designed.

And this gem here:

Quote"The game feels like it was made in nine months, and that's because it was," said a source.

Sad sad. Are they just never going to say anything to anyone about it?

demonbane

Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 18, 2013, 03:50:46 PM

http://kotaku.com/5986694/from-dream-to-disaster-the-story-of-aliens-colonial-marines

QuoteAccording to one source, Sega's producers wanted Colonial Marines to feel like Call of Duty—in other words, more shooting marines, less shooting aliens. Upper staff at both Gearbox and TimeGate disagreed with this mentality, the source said, and there was a tug-of-war between developer and publisher on how the game should be designed.

And this gem here:

Quote"The game feels like it was made in nine months, and that's because it was," said a source.

I think missed part about Sega forcing COD crap into this game. Well there goes more blame on Sega. This is why I hate COD.
Screw dumb masses that buy the same shit. COD only worsens gaming market, leading the second gaming crash. I wouldn't hate that franchise if it weren't for its shitty influence on other games.

ShadowPred

Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 18, 2013, 03:50:46 PM

And this gem here:

Jesus...

Inverse Effect

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Sega-Wanted-Aliens-Colonial-Marines-More-Like-Call-Duty-Says-Dev-52980.html

Old story. But it still sickens me. Why did Sega think making a COD clone would make the game sell better? or get more people to buy it or play it? Making a aliens game into a COD clone where you shoot humans all the time and stuff isn't playing to the strength of the brand.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed