Damon Lindelof is Not Writing the PROMETHEUS Sequel; Explains Why

Started by ace3g, Dec 20, 2012, 04:57:29 AM

Author
Damon Lindelof is Not Writing the PROMETHEUS Sequel; Explains Why (Read 27,028 times)

GQSioux

Just get David Giler and Walter Hill to write it. :)

SiL

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Dec 20, 2012, 11:09:47 PM
dude all a writer does is write a script then send it in and wait to see what they think.
Tried writing a feature length script recently?

Predaker

...and what is acting, anyway? You show up, say a few lines, and that's a wrap. Just as easy as writing the script for a Prometheus sequel.

Gazz

Quote from: SM on Dec 20, 2012, 11:02:21 PM

A couple of months = 24 does it?

dude all a writer does is write a script then send it in and wait to see what they think.

And how many difficult and laborious rewrites do you think they draft before reaching something close to a shootable script?

It's not as easy as quickly scribbling out a draft to hand in so you can spend the rest of production dancing in fields whilst waiting for the pay cheque to arrive. And from what I've heard and read it's these types of films with many different people in varying positions of power to appease, that can prove hardest for a working writer. Hell, it's difficult enough when you're writing for yourself.

echobbase79

Some writers also work on multiple projects at once. Didn't Cameron take on the Rambo: First Blood II job at the same time he got the job to write Aliens? So writing scripts is a process and hopefully each time you do a rewrite it gets better. Or not.

SM

Stallone rewrote a lot of Rambo from memory.

QuoteIt would be awesome if your reply actually put in a little bit of discussion.

Why bother?  You apparently know how it all works.

Not to mention conveniently ignoring Lindelof saying he can only focus on one thing at a time and Prometheus 2 would be a 2 year commitment.

bioweapon

Lindelof u can s**k my b*lls

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: SM on Dec 20, 2012, 11:02:21 PM

A couple of months = 24 does it?

Which is of course, bullshit. Plenty of scripts get sent in that people never even get a response to. If you're lucky, and the script reader passes on your script as one that has to be read, then and only then will it ever even be read by whoever is in charge of the script reader. And if they like it, they might end up responding, because even a producer or whatever who looks at the script is in no way a guarantee that you will ever get a response back.

It's nowhere near as easy as you put it.

There's so much more I didn't add here, like trying to get an agent for one, or how f**king difficult it is to even get in at all in the film business with your first script. There's so god damn much that is blocking the writer from even reaching their goal.

ChrisPachi

The weak screenplay was the one thing that nearly all of the reviews, both positive and negative, commented on. Maybe Fox now sees Lindelof as a liability.

T Dog

Lindelof's statement is classic Lindelof.

I.E. it's his Marketing/Political/Diplomatic abilities swinging strong.

It's all code for, the movie was shit, people hate me and I don't want to take it on again.
He can't say that though so he has to spin some yarn about it being a rewrite and a year of his life (which is true) but ultimately I think he wrote an inferior movie, I think he knows that, maybe the studio think that, majority of the fans think that.

All in all though I'd say the failings of this movie were down to studio interference pushing the writer and director in a certain direction.

Anyway that's how I see it.

zuzuki

Quote from: tmjhur on Dec 21, 2012, 12:49:30 PM

It's all code for, the movie was shit, people hate me and I don't want to take it on again.
He can't say that though so he has to spin some yarn about it being a rewrite and a year of his life (which is true) but ultimately I think he wrote an inferior movie, I think he knows that, maybe the studio think that, majority of the fans think that.

All in all though I'd say the failings of this movie were down to studio interference pushing the writer and director in a certain direction.

Or here is a crazy idea, the movie wasn't shit, it's a commercial success, it has  74 % critic approval rate, and the studio is pleased about the movie, so much that they will make a sequel.
here is another crazy idea, maybe he doesn't give a f**k about what the loud minority does on the internet because of the above reasons. Maybe he is also busy with his new project 1952,writing and producing it. Maybe he is also busy with his new 3 year agreement with Warner Bros to develop new shows and making The Leftovers for HBO

But now that he left, i hope someone will stop mr. Scott and his editor for ever entering the editing room of the sequel. That would be nice

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

Quote from: tmjhur on Dec 21, 2012, 12:49:30 PM

How could it be a terrible script? Ridley Scott went on to direct it either way. You don't see Ridley taking on shit scripts like INdiana Jones and the Crystal Skull into a movie. The majority of Fans loved Pormetheus and thought the ORIGINAL script was terrible. Then some dude fixed it to be a better script to be filmed. 

I think its clear that the majority of Alien fans dislike other casual alien fans who happen to be exaggerating their opinions in their posts.

Predaker

Good, bad, he is the guy named Lindelof. His name would be toxic for a sequel and he knows it. That's why he made his fan boy comment about a "reaction" to the movie.

T Dog

Or here is a crazy idea, the movie wasn't shit, it's a commercial success, it has  74 % critic approval rate, and the studio is pleased about the movie, so much that they will make a sequel.
here is another crazy idea, maybe he doesn't give a f**k about what the loud minority does on the internet because of the above reasons. Maybe he is also busy with his new project 1952,writing and producing it. Maybe he is also busy with his new 3 year agreement with Warner Bros to develop new shows and making The Leftovers for HBO

But now that he left, i hope someone will stop mr. Scott and his editor for ever entering the editing room of the sequel. That would be nice

You're Damon Lindelof right?

How could it be a terrible script? Ridley Scott went on to direct it either way. You don't see Ridley taking on shit scripts like INdiana Jones and the Crystal Skull into a movie. The majority of Fans loved Pormetheus and thought the ORIGINAL script was terrible. Then some dude fixed it to be a better script to be filmed. 

I think its clear that the majority of Alien fans dislike other casual alien fans who happen to be exaggerating their opinions in their posts.

Don't you remember the terrible exposition, CSI going inside the body moments, awful stereotypical characters and horrible pacing?

x-M-x

Yes BEST NEWS EVER....

;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed