Full conversation between Engineer and David

Started by Kev Loaf, Oct 30, 2012, 10:18:17 PM

Author
Full conversation between Engineer and David (Read 76,666 times)

SiL

QuoteShow me a piece of 2000-year old human technology which could withstand damage like that and somehow still worked upon being started up. There isn't any.

The Juggernaut was inoperable after the crash, Shaw and David left in a different one.

x-M-x

https://vimeo.com/161357860

Wish we had subtitles... lol

OpenMaw

Why they cut that down, or half the scenes they cut/butchered, I will never know. It's such a beautiful and mysterious scene.

All the little ticks of the engineer. I love the medium angle shot where Weyland is making a gesture with his finger and the engineer is almost pulling an E.T.

It also gives us a fairly good idea of why the engineer(s) feel the way they do. Weyland is f*cking arrogant and get's what he deserves. Now you just expand that to a broader view. Our ancestors probably acted like arrogant dicks to the visiting engineers.

That's somewhat lost in the shorter cut, I think. It just seems like the Engineer wakes up in a bad mood.

Vermillion

Lol weyland's death was lame.

Neirum

Neirum

" wā-norəm, idema ju–gad-ke garasté = you (would be) not a man if you didn't grow old "  This is when the Engineer asks Weyland why he wants to live forever.  Found that quote in the you tube comments of a Engineer speaking vid. I keep thinking Biltoo is floating out there and has already translated it all on some comment someplace, cause the dude worked pretty hard on Proto-Indo European.

The Engineer really showed me he was testing out human philosophy systems to see how their artwork really turned out. I mean, you can see him gesture "what's so great about you ya bag a wrinkled turds on stilts" with his hand moving up and down all sassy like. For real, that Engineer has sass and I hate they cut that out.   Clearly they failed the test and were seen as failed cosmic art that will offer great danger if unchecked. I see it like the Engineers might have been breeding strains of humans on thousands of worlds, for the sake of genetic diversity to harvest stable mutations that push them forward in capability and for psychological data on culture formation at different stages; basically advanced life sciences. And I don't think that means they were evil and gonna GOO all of us into Xenos or somethin. Seemed like they were trying to Imperially culture us into certain psychological behaviors, perhaps it was a massive nature vs nurture experiment to answer some questions about the Engineers themselves. Point being, they put a lot of time and effort into us and are clearly artists and artists don't usually throw away the entire sculpture, they want to save it because it's a part of them and to reject all of it would be to reject themselves; and I see that when the Engineer is in the life boat reading a book and looking at a violin being played by a child of humanity. I think he was going to talk to Shaw before she swung at him and in that scene he was undamaged and probably not so mad after the crash, but rather impressed really and taken aback from the first encounter with the mean greedy Weyland to then see members of our race SACRIFICE themselves to save Earth from an uncertain and violent fate. The entire dynamic is so much more rich and complex with these deleted scenes and is so logical to me that it just enrages me these were ever cut out. It really just makes the movie for me, and it's the only way I can accept Prometheus at all.

I also found another "translation / interpertation" of the Engineer speak on . The engineer says "why should man believe he can rule other men when he cannot rule over a fly?", found this comment on scfi-stackexchange forums. Yeah, I know these are both totally random and possibly not true, but the first comment intrigued me because of the alternation. 

Oh, and figured I'd throw this link out there and let y'all decide if ya wanna dive deeper into the language.  https://www.scribd.com/document/175722452/A-Grammar-of-Modern-Indo-European-Prometheus-Edition    Have fun!

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 02, 2017, 11:36:09 AM
Why they cut that down, or half the scenes they cut/butchered, I will never know. It's such a beautiful and mysterious scene.

All the little ticks of the engineer. I love the medium angle shot where Weyland is making a gesture with his finger and the engineer is almost pulling an E.T.

It also gives us a fairly good idea of why the engineer(s) feel the way they do. Weyland is f*cking arrogant and get's what he deserves. Now you just expand that to a broader view. Our ancestors probably acted like arrogant dicks to the visiting engineers.

That's somewhat lost in the shorter cut, I think. It just seems like the Engineer wakes up in a bad mood.

Yeah, for totes man. If I was gonna wake up our Space Dad I would at least play some nice music and bring them coffee after sawing logs for 2000 years. Have like a big nice ornate oak table set up with some french toast, bacon, get ya a few eggs in there with butter and olives, and a few oranges. I'd be like... "hey man, how's life? Seems like your entire race of people have died in the most horrific of ways, and nobody ever came back to look for you.. that really blows dude. But hey, I got your back man you can hang out with us if ya want."  But then if that dude decided to mess with my crew, I'd blast him with two .460 S&W pistols. Like to see him get up after 10 of those in him; aint no silly space shotty that won't even peel the paint off a barn. -smh- What was with those pathetic space guns!? Need to bring a damn ninja mountaineer to space for once. I digress.... I just agree there are far better ways to start a conversation with our Space Dad, but they should also be ready for some cray cray times and have a hidden gun holster or two. It's just SO RUDE to point a shitty shotty at anybody getting out of bed EVER at any location in space-time; holsters space cowboys, holsters are a thing. 

D88M

Quote from: drawandstrike on Dec 24, 2016, 01:12:56 PM
Just saw this movie.

While we don't know exactly what the Engineer says to David in the deleted scene, it's clear from the tone of his voice and his body language the request from Weyland greatly upsets him.

In the brief moments he observes the humans, what does the Engineer see?

He's seen  them being violent towards one another, then an extremely old human requests eternal or continuing life from him.

From what we know of the Engineers beliefs, dying is a revered part of their religion.  You see this in the 'idol' or 'Big Head' room which contains murals in which Engineers are shown with burst chests, having 'birthed' xenomorphs.

I believe what the Engineer sneers in response to Weyland's request is "In your obviously flawed state, you demand something we don't even grant to ourselves!"

The Engineer finds Weyland's request for 'more life' in his decrepit state to be extremely repulsive.

LOL WTF, does people STILL believe there is no subtitles of the sceen? Jesus, is in youtube, you can all look it up, it shows exactly what is said between David and the Engineer

drawandstrike

drawandstrike

On rewatching an extended fan cut of the film, 1 thing that leaps out at me:

The Engineers revered the concept of dying to create life, death as a part of the natural order. We learn this in the films beginning, with the Engineer who sacrifices himself.

Weyland has dedicated his life to what the Engineers would look at as a corruption or an attempt to thwart the natural order. 

This is most clearly seen in the scene in which Vickers attempts to reconcile with him, talking about how in the natural order of things the king has his reign and dies. 

Weyland completely rejects this - and her. 

This is another aspect of why the request Weyland has David relate to the Engineer would be so abhorrent to him.  Not only does Weyland want to thwart the natural order, he's asking an Engineer who seems to WORSHIP this natural order to help him destroy it.

Weyland spent $1 trillion dollars in an attempt to ask an alien being who revered the natural life and death cycle for a way to circumvent it.  His reward was to get his head bashed in. 

Quote from: D88M on Jan 03, 2017, 10:06:59 AM
Quote from: drawandstrike on Dec 24, 2016, 01:12:56 PM
Just saw this movie.

While we don't know exactly what the Engineer says to David in the deleted scene, it's clear from the tone of his voice and his body language the request from Weyland greatly upsets him.

In the brief moments he observes the humans, what does the Engineer see?

He's seen  them being violent towards one another, then an extremely old human requests eternal or continuing life from him.

From what we know of the Engineers beliefs, dying is a revered part of their religion.  You see this in the 'idol' or 'Big Head' room which contains murals in which Engineers are shown with burst chests, having 'birthed' xenomorphs.

I believe what the Engineer sneers in response to Weyland's request is "In your obviously flawed state, you demand something we don't even grant to ourselves!"

The Engineer finds Weyland's request for 'more life' in his decrepit state to be extremely repulsive.

LOL WTF, does people STILL believe there is no subtitles of the sceen? Jesus, is in youtube, you can all look it up, it shows exactly what is said between David and the Engineer

I've only seen several videos where it was pretty clear English wasn't the subtitler's 1st language.  How about linking the definitive translation then?

I've read several translations of what the Engineer says in different blogs on line.  I have yet to find a captioned video in English that translates, though a poster above says such videos can be found on YouTube. 

The most common translation of what the Engineer says after David tells him Weyland believes the Engineer can 'give more life' or make Weyland immortal, is that the Engineer sneers "If you did not grow old, you would not be a man." which appears to point to the impossibility of Weyland's request.  A change in nature to a being that does not grow old and die would necessitate a change from being human into being.....something else.

By his very nature as a man, Weyland was 'created' to grow old and die.  To change from mortal to immortal would involve a change in nature. 

Here's what we see in the deleted scene at the beginning of the film:

It appears the Engineers, if they ever had the ability to make themselves immortal so they did not age and die, deliberately chose not to utilize such an ability.  The Engineer who reverently hands the 'cup' containing the black goo to the younger, larger Engineer appears to be far older and thinner. 

The awakened Engineer would be, in my theory, absolutely horrified by what Weyland asks of him.  The Cycle of Life and Death, where one is born, reproduces, then ages and dies is sacrosanct to this species, it seems from what we glean about them over the course of the picture leading up to this 'first contact' scene. 

Weyland is deliberately attempting to arrest and stop this natural cycle, rejecting his own daughter, insisting on remaining 'king' forever. 

If the Engineer can indeed understand what Weyland is saying to him, or if what Weyland said was translated but this was cut or left out, imagine how doubly repulsive Weyland's entreaty would be to the Engineer as Weyland projects his own desire to live forever as a 'god' onto the Engineer himself. 

After hearing Weyland out, the Engineer decides it's time to reassert the natural order that Weyland is trying to undermine.  In fact, it's time to give Weyland a big heaping dose of the natural cycle of Life & Death by ripping David's head off and killing him with it. 

This is all conjecture, of course, since Scott & Lindelof didn't define this scene or place it within any clear kind of context.  Would the Engineer have responded differently if Weyland hadn't immediately  made his request of him?  After all, the Engineers had already decided to wipe out humanity.  Could he have changed his mind if the initial meeting had been handled differently?

We'll never know. 

Ingwar

Quote from: x-M-x on Jan 01, 2017, 07:26:49 AM
https://vimeo.com/161357860

Wish we had subtitles... lol

Wish it was in the movie. Great scene. I like David saying Sorry when his head falls next to dying Weyland :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed