was AvP a rip off of Prometheus?

Started by bishoop, Oct 25, 2012, 10:36:10 PM

Author
was AvP a rip off of Prometheus? (Read 23,551 times)

Toy

Toy

You need to understand that they are destroying AVP in the process by wiping it out of the timeline and reusing its elements in new ways... dethroning it and adding new elements after breaking it down in the exact same way the goo works... re-creating a slightly different image from the original design that is still a genetic match, and resembles the originals.

This was all done for a reason.

Sometimes to create you must first destroy, and to improve on a design you may have to break it down and use part of the original design-- what works, this is how engineering works they take already existing simple designs and build on them. They don`t start completely from scratch... the work from already established priniciples.. looking for and adding in ways to recombine the elements and give us new things around the corners.

SiL

SiL

Or, y'know, two lazy writers took the easiest way out of telling their story and both happened to use the same cliche.

Toy

Toy

There is no such thing as coincidence in a world where Fox still has control over much of the series... Ridley had direction over nearly everything, every small detail that went up on screen in the world and Universe he is creating. Lindelof was just following orders.
Fox simply chose to let Ridley try a better experiment than AVP. Lindelof (David in the film) carried it out and this is the major problem with the writing. But Ridley may have made sure most of his vision ended up on the screen and the lines that will matter are in there.

There`s no coincidence to Ridley and Lindelof both bringing up how they had envisioned Alien and Bladerunner as existing in the same universe. At different points in time, although Lindelof was only talking about it because of his attachment to the project before the release. Them coming together in a meeting of minds + the Bladerunner themes & now Bladerunner 2 are no coincidence. Whether or not Lindelofs statement about always believing they were connected is completely true or not. They have spoken and thought much more about this than we`re supposed to know by both bringing it up in public ways.  Lindelof almost gave things away. There is much, much more to this, and this isn`t even the beginning yet... this may be a bridge between two series in a way that AVP never could be.
A bridge and not an end to either series. But yes an end to AVP.
Because big things have small beginnings.

They only did it to show just how much this will start to deviate from the old Alien universe and the Predator experiment,  even though it went back to some ideas from the original Alien script that AVP used.

This was my perspective before the film as soon as I noticed similarities, then I saw the replaced head of Weyland industries and head themes that continue to feed my perspective..

SiL

SiL

It's like you've dreamed up a sprawling conspiracy theory to make shit movies actually be some form of high art and creative integrity.

Toy

Toy

Or have I uncovered it all because Ive been allowed pieces of the puzzle and even I am manipulating you by telling you only a fraction of the truth like David does. What I choose to believe is the complete truth to me... because we cant know at this point. There have been a few things i got right and deliberately let slip but I may only be knowledgeable about the broad strokes and could have been deceived or have deceived myself along the way.  Much of it has become my belief.

Ive worked things out for myself but I`m following orders. I may be attempting to explain, manipulate, and control the responses to Prometheus in a way similar to how there were people on this site apologizing for AVP after the release.  However I`m explaining to help explain and get other theories going, not to apologize.

Only my thesis for now, but what ive been allowed to see and pieces i may have picked up along the way.
It could be true and because its what I choose to believe and follow Im never lying...
And my keyboard`s broken.

So yeah, my perspective can be a little biased but Im still doing what the movie tells you to do. Choose the answer for yourself. My answer for the similarities to AVP links into my answer for almost every other question so it`s more like a thesis than a theory.

SiL

SiL

You're a loon.

Toy

Toy

Lol if you choose to believe that it`s one way i wish to portray myself so thats fine for you to take it that way. you`ve fallen into a trap the film itself excels at by not looking at all the pieces of what im saying or considering that there could be much more double and hidden meaning. you`ll never get any of the fire im offering...

SiL

SiL

The fire you're offering would appear to be at the end of something short, white, and roughly cylindrical. I'll pass :P

whiterabbit

I just don't think Ridley gives a f**k about AVP.

Alien³

Alien³

Someone get me some new underwear.

whiterabbit

There's no reason to do anything to AVP, it's basically vaporware at the moment. You could even say AVPR is radioactive.

The story is very much not original and has been redone numerous times.

Toy

Toy

But that`s the point, AVP has to be dethroned for a failure to lead the series. A false sense of loss in leadership was set up in Prometheus because they are absolutely playing with expectations. To some Prometheus failed to lead the series onwards (but this may be a plan to lower expectations for the sequel.. and then completely surpass them) Ridley even said the Alien was dead too, leading some to believe it would not appear, and really the old form didnt. It wasn`t scary anymore. AVP killed it. It belonged in Disney World according to Ridley, yet he brought what resembles an original alien back into the fray.

Again, sometimes to create something new (a new entry in the series, King alien) you must first destroy or break the old designs down and then use the elements in slightly different ways to allow it to build properly from a small beginning.

It`s about death and rebirth, not true immortality yet.

The creature had to be re-created as the Deacon after it died on screen and was almost completely destroyed in AVPR, bringing life back into the series by using the familiar form in a new way.
The black liquid accomplished this by giving it a new development and new forms.

Prometheus is all about being wrong and finding the opposite of what we expect so I have no probs being wrong with my theories, but this influences my theories heavily...

Instead of Gods we find mortal beings who still had some hand in our creation.
Instead of a Queen we find that a King will have his reign.

It`s as much an upgrade on the old worn out Alien design as it is AVP... The engineers may be looking to upgrade themselves too and seem to have gone bio-mechical by the end of the story.

SiL

SiL

So they "dethroned" AvP by making a movie that was just as poorly written.

Amazing.

Toy

Toy

It`s all about the retroactive changes. Changes to a kingdom after a king dies or a new one steps up... the king is dead now within the film and the loss in leadership idea goes back and forth between whats going on in the story and how they wish to lead and deceive the audience. Even knowing that Janek was in the military from the deleted scenes changes things slightly and makes us understand why he is partially right. It`s about playing with expectations.

Were supposed to feel a similar loss in leadership as we did with AVP, but this is all part of the trick.

Ridley and Lindelof dont mind that their tricks hurt sales a little because everything is setup to lead into some of the other reversals ive been describing that not many will see coming because of the state they`ve left us in.  what trick is David talking about, is that all meaningless writing or will it be expanded on...

Ridley has said Paradise can`t be what it sounds like so again we`ll find the opposite of what we expect.
Thinking we`ll get more of the same out of Paradise and finding the opposite.

SiL

SiL

AvP was never --

Know what? Screw it. This is the internet. It's not worth thinking about.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed