Prometheus H.R. Giger Artwork Preview

Started by ikarop, Oct 01, 2012, 11:13:31 PM

Author
Prometheus H.R. Giger Artwork Preview (Read 45,968 times)

Bjørn Half-hand

Would like to see detailed colour 'completed' versions of these sketches.

ikarop

Spoiler
[close]

Gash

Gash

Even wearing black in deference to Giger.  :)

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

Quote from: ikarop on Oct 03, 2012, 05:53:36 PM
Spoiler
[close]

Long time no see.

Was the first thing I thought of when I read "no time." Just like ADI. Hopefully that didn't bring up any bad memories for Geegs.

Snowdog

God i hope not ! I mean getting flushed away a second time by fox just because they want to rush a movie... Giger deserves to work on an 'alien' movie again.

acrediblesource

DAMN IT FOX THEY AIN'T GETTING ANY YOUNGER!!!!!

ShadowPred

Quote from: ikarop on Oct 03, 2012, 05:53:36 PM
Spoiler
[close]

Where the hell is Sweeps?! He needs to caption this image right away!

zuzuki

Ridley- ''see, we have this squid with a lot of mouths and we made it look like vaginas''
Giger- ''yeah, yeah, graulisch''

or

Ridley- ''i don't want to say aliens, but aliens''
Giger- ''yeah,yeah, with a penis for a head''

Magegg

Quote from: Kol on Oct 03, 2012, 03:17:01 PMpoor giger. doing all the flights for nothin....  :'(
Well, it doesn't seem like he put much effort on those drawings.

I agree with the idea of making the aesthetycs a little different from Giger's (for example, including very little 'techno-organic' stuff), I mean, this is called 'Prometheus', not 'Alien 0' or whatever, they wanted to keep it fresh and distinct at least on a visual level, not simply making a sequel/entire reprise of the whole Alien universe and re-use the same visual concept and settings once again.

acrediblesource

hrrmmm, id be surprised if he released a new book, he hasn't done so for a while now.
Its a shame, they didn't work so closely together on this one as they did before but thats the price you pay for stardom and recognition. Who knows maybe there is something devious in the works. Monster movies are so lame without proper vision.

Quote from: Magegg on Oct 05, 2012, 03:41:38 PM
Quote from: Kol on Oct 03, 2012, 03:17:01 PMpoor giger. doing all the flights for nothin....  :'(

I agree with the idea of making the aesthetycs a little different from Giger's (for example, including very little 'techno-organic' stuff), I mean, this is called 'Prometheus', not 'Alien 0' or whatever, they wanted to keep it fresh and distinct at least on a visual level, not simply making a sequel/entire reprise of the whole Alien universe and re-use the same visual concept and settings once again.

Valaquen

Quote from: Magegg on Oct 05, 2012, 03:41:38 PM
They were sketches pretty much done at the meet. Have you seen any of Giger's preliminary sketches for Alien? The look exactly the same. He doesn't churn out a painting every time he doodles.

Bum Burster

Quote from: Dirty Harry on Oct 03, 2012, 04:29:16 PM
Giger always is victim of "time and budget" problems. :'(
The Deacon sucks!

It makes complete sense to me. Not only it's the first intermediate stage between the chtulhu-reptiloids and humanoids, but that thing is young. If the Aliens series has told us anything, the babies shed their skin when they grow, and the adult is quite radically different. Even the most advanced birth in ALIEN 3 showed us an infant which was very thin and skinny.

I believe it sticks with the slick aspect of the tech and even the ship. All is clean inside the ship, while the derelict's very structure in ALIEN has been corrupted, like if the xenomorph almost grew out of the biomechanoid tech.
In Prometheus, we weren't there yet.

The contamination, obviously pre-programmed to build serpentine lifeforms, went straight into humanoids.
Now, if the Engineers' tech is somehow alive or something along that, then the corruption while have to get there first to capture the Giger aspect of it.
So we'll get the bony facehuggers and the eggs.

The problem, I guess, is that too many fans wanted the bridge to be closed immediately.
I think it's a given in ALIEN that the generational mutation has already been established as quick enough, so much that any movie sequel to Prometheus could already show us the next step, much closer to the Giger design.

This movie requires patience. Besides, many would have bitched about the even greater fan service if we already had plenty of quasi-xenos all over the movie.

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: ikarop on Oct 03, 2012, 02:30:34 PM

That Babyhead concept piece is from Carlos Huante. The creature was already concepted before Giger did his take. In the Bluray you can even see how Ridley presents Giger with his own sketches of the creature.

I see now, it's been hanging around since his concept design work under ILM for Steven Spielberg's War Of The Worlds.

ikarop

ikarop

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed