Prometheus "Paradise" Scene Preview

Started by ikarop, Sep 27, 2012, 09:57:48 PM

Author
Prometheus "Paradise" Scene Preview (Read 19,360 times)

szkoki

szkoki

Quote from: SM on Sep 28, 2012, 06:16:54 AM
QuoteThere is simply no need and, realistically, no way to replicate the feeling of pain in a non-living organism.

True - didn't stop Bishop writhing in synthetic pain when the Queen Bishkebabbed him, though.

but remember what he said in alien3 before Ripley turned him off? "my leg hurts.........it hurts please turn me off" how about that?  ;D

its not a significant thing just trying to mess with ya

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Even robots would have receptors that would tell them that something is wrong, or they need maintenance of some sort. A receptor that's programmed to be similar to the pain humans experience makes complete engineering sense,

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

It was established in both Alien and Aliens that that androids have physical feelings. They are obviously built that way - like it or  not.

Promethée

Promethée

Quote from: ShadowPred on Sep 27, 2012, 11:52:21 PM
Don't see why Shaw would act like such a bitch to David's head.

Maybe because he betrayed her and the crew with his double agenda with Weyland, and he didn't want to help her remove
the alien fetus growing inside her and just back-anesthetized-stabbed her instead.

oh, and he was also stalking her dreams.

no reason to be pissed  :laugh:

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Sep 27, 2012, 11:23:06 PM
I believe that would be applicable as being "surprise". No way in hell he feels any form of pain... and I mean why would they program that?

Because Ridley Scott, that's why.

There's a lot about David 8 which doesn't make much sense to design into what amounts to a manual labour device.

Quote from: Gash on Sep 27, 2012, 11:27:04 PM
Pain is a useful device for not hurting oneself pointlessly. I can relate David to Roy Batty, who ultimately needed pain to keep him going to the last moment of his life.

That's for organic beings, not machines. All those require is a programmed directive. They follow rules a lot more literally. :)

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Sep 28, 2012, 01:07:41 PM
Even robots would have receptors that would tell them that something is wrong, or they need maintenance of some sort. A receptor that's programmed to be similar to the pain humans experience makes complete engineering sense,

Actual pain is different to just an self-diagnostics identification of malfunction. It's also a lot more difficult to simulate, one would imagine, which begs the question of why they'd even attempt to do such a thing in the first place.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

As far as this paradise thing goes; does David know the difference between heaven and hell? Being that he is a robot I'm certain Paradise is going to be hell. :)

SiL

SiL

I believe that would be applicable as being "surprise". No way in hell he feels any form of pain... and I mean why would they program that?
Did everybody just miss the entire dialogue exchange between David and Holloway about why he puts on the helmet?

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: SiL on Sep 30, 2012, 12:19:42 AM
Did everybody just miss the entire dialogue exchange between David and Holloway about why he puts on the helmet?
Good point. It was sensory overload from having his head ripped off. In the extended scene he is even apologizing to weyland as his head hits the floor. The same thing happens to a lobster while being boiled alive. The lobster panics not due to pain but due to the fact that it is being boiled alive.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Feeling pain is a tad different than partaking in a basic safety measure.

SiL

SiL

Then the simple answer is he's programmed to mimic basic pain responses.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: SiL on Sep 30, 2012, 09:10:37 AM
Then the simple answer is he's programmed to mimic basic pain responses.
Agreed...

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: SiL on Sep 30, 2012, 09:10:37 AMThen the simple answer is he's programmed to mimic basic pain responses.

And if programmed and articulated convincingly then there is absolutely no way that a human could tell the difference.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: whiterabbit on Sep 30, 2012, 12:59:52 AM
Good point. It was sensory overload from having his head ripped off. In the extended scene he is even apologizing to weyland as his head hits the floor. The same thing happens to a lobster while being boiled alive. The lobster panics not due to pain but due to the fact that it is being boiled alive.

Thank you, it makes much more sense that a lobster would have the ability to rationalize what's happening to it and panic, a much more advanced response, than react to the most basic of all nervous impulses, which would be pain.

Organisms without pain don't last very long, as "pain" is data that a nervous system sends to the brain about system damage.  There's a rare genetic disease in humans called CIPA (congenital insensitivity to pain with anhidrosis) in which the development of the small nerve fibers which transmit pain messages is disrupted, and pain doesn't register as normal, including temperature variations.  This also leads to the body not activating certain pain-based measures, such as sweating.  This isn't a good thing.

Take it from Terminator when it said "the data may be called pain."  It's just data, and any functional android would require it to understand the limits of its own systems, though realistically an artificial person's pain threshold would be much different than ours.  Any reaction to this pain other than a defensive response would be clever programming to create empathy.

Lobsters, sweet Christ.

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: SM on Sep 28, 2012, 06:16:54 AM
QuoteThere is simply no need and, realistically, no way to replicate the feeling of pain in a non-living organism.

True - didn't stop Bishop writhing in synthetic pain when the Queen Bishkebabbed him, though.

He was just malfunctioning. That was the robot version of a blue screen.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: whiterabbit on Sep 30, 2012, 12:59:52 AMThe lobster panics not due to pain but due to the fact that it is being boiled alive.

Smarter than you look Mr. Rabbit. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed