Prometheus Writers Audio Commentary Preview

Started by ikarop, Sep 23, 2012, 04:33:02 PM

Author
Prometheus Writers Audio Commentary Preview (Read 71,579 times)

SpeedyMaxx

A lot of it just sounds really derivative to me, and a few scenes described are way too OTT.  I think the larger framework - the Engineers, the expedition - is gold, which luckily is what they worked from, but all the classic alien shit they pushed into it needed to go AFAIC.  And fortunately it did.  They had him working in too small a box, until they realized what they really wanted, or rather what a man with Scott's name value could get away with demanding.  But that often happens with a writing job.

I really look forward to reading it regardless.  There's certainly stuff I'd like to have kept in the early scenes.  And an older Holloway could've been a plum role for someone like, IDK, Ralph Fiennes?

SM

An older Holloway would've meant we would've disliked him right from the outset, rather than the build up to disliking him.

Highland

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Sep 25, 2012, 01:48:00 AM
snip

Plus it still doesn't expand any further than Alien did. It's basically Alien all over again with a new cast but rather than the Jockey being dead, he's alive.

On that, reading it again, what's the Engineers role in the Spaihts draft? It seems like an Alien movie with a random SJ show up?

Valaquen

Quote from: SM on Sep 25, 2012, 01:54:22 AM
An older Holloway would've meant we would've disliked him right from the outset, rather than the build up to disliking him.
Not necessarily. Rapace is 32, her character is thereabouts, or mid-to-late twenties if anything. Seems perfectly fine for her to have an older lover/partner (Speedy invoked Fiennes, who is 49 - not that bad). Unless they were going to deliberately make him an opportunistic sugar daddy I see no reason to dislike him for being older. Some people have great relationships and are separated in age by a decade or more.

SM

But how often are they favourably portrayed on film?  Older men in mentor/ teacher type roles with younger girlfriends generally give off a creepy vibe, because there's always the assumption they left their wife and family to chase the younger tail.

Nightmare Asylum

They could do a romantic comedy prequel about them as archaeologists to show not only how they discovered clues to the origins of the human race, but keys to each others' hearts as well.

SM

Only if has many twists and turns that aren't at all predictable as they navigate the treacherous waters of life and love until they finally discover that what they always wanted was right in front of them the whole time and are reunited in the rain at the end.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Sep 25, 2012, 02:33:22 AM
But how often are they favourably portrayed on film?  Older men in mentor/ teacher type roles with younger girlfriends generally give off a creepy vibe, because there's always the assumption they left their wife and family to chase the younger tail.

Indiana Jones was a pedophile and everyone liked him.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: SM on Sep 25, 2012, 02:39:13 AM
Only if has many twists and turns that aren't at all predictable as they navigate the treacherous waters of life and love until they finally discover that what they always wanted was right in front of them the whole time and are reunited in the rain at the end.

Ohhh, perfect! And the ending in the rain can fade out into a similar looking Engineer cave drawing before going to the credits, so that everything comes full circle.

Oh, and best plot twist ever. Peter Weyland tries to break them up so that Shaw can focus on her work. The irony is, the discovery is made because they stayed together. True love, man. True love...

SM

The final frame has the cave drawing changed to Holloway pointing to a love heart.

QuoteIndiana Jones was a pedophile and everyone liked him.

Only in a scene that got cut.

Valaquen

Quote from: SM on Sep 25, 2012, 02:33:22 AM
It's definitely a pitfall. I guess it depends on how the writers wanted older Holloway to come across. It could be done sympathetically ... then again it could've been intended that he was her father's university friend and ... all sorts of things like that.

Local Trouble

Honestly, it didn't take me long to sense that Halloway was a tumbling dickweed anyway.

Valaquen

Quote from: RaisingCane on Sep 25, 2012, 03:31:29 AM
Honestly, it didn't take me long to sense that Halloway was a tumbling dickweed anyway.
I think, because of Cvalda, I went in with that notion already pre-programmed and utterly unshakeable once the film got on with it.

Local Trouble

They should have cast Josh Holloway as Halloway.  At least then he'd have been a charismatic dickweed.

Vickers

Quote from: Valaquen on Sep 25, 2012, 02:14:20 AM
Quote from: SM on Sep 25, 2012, 01:54:22 AM
Not necessarily. Rapace is 32, her character is thereabouts, or mid-to-late twenties if anything. Seems perfectly fine for her to have an older lover/partner (Speedy invoked Fiennes, who is 49 - not that bad). Unless they were going to deliberately make him an opportunistic sugar daddy I see no reason to dislike him for being older. Some people have great relationships and are separated in age by a decade or more.

Exactly.  Just because he's older doesn't mean he's a pedophile or instantly unlikeable.  In fact, I would have preferred an older partner to the typical douche-jock cardboard cutout.

A more mature character than Holloway would have been great to see.  And his death would have made more of an impact with him being a likeable character.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed