Fox Talks Prometheus Sequel

Started by ikarop, Aug 01, 2012, 04:01:38 PM

Author
Fox Talks Prometheus Sequel (Read 88,236 times)

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: tmjhur on Aug 04, 2012, 01:49:14 PM
Stop being so up your own arses. The audience is smarter than you think. Stop treating us like bufoons.
Unfortunately audiences aren't that bright (or to be generous - not that discerning)... generally speaking that is. Audiences tend to get the movies they deserve... They want to be entertained by something with little to think about. Look at the box office stats for most popular films this year...

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: BANE on Aug 04, 2012, 07:22:38 PM
f**k off with this plot hole nonsense. Jesus. You don't know what the term means.

You might want to remind yourself of the definition, there are a good amount of plot holes in this movie.

T Dog

T Dog

I think I would have enjoyed Prometheus a lot more had the music/editing and pacing been more focused and atmospheric. I feel like those aspects of the production let it down and opened the gateway to all the other criticisms. For myself anyway.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: tmjhur on Aug 05, 2012, 12:49:10 PM
I think I would have enjoyed Prometheus a lot more had the music/editing and pacing been more focused and atmospheric. I feel like those aspects of the production let it down and opened the gateway to all the other criticisms. For myself anyway.
It really depends on what your definition of atmospheric is. It terms of style, Prometheus is closer to Gladiator than it is to Alien or Bladerunner. I don't think Scott was going for something particularly atmospheric... but rather grande/epic.

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Aug 05, 2012, 12:10:33 PM
Quote from: BANE on Aug 04, 2012, 07:22:38 PM
f**k off with this plot hole nonsense. Jesus. You don't know what the term means.

You might want to remind yourself of the definition, there are a good amount of plot holes in this movie.
I think the only element coming close to a plot hole is Janek's statement to Shaw about the temple being a weapons factory... which I assume is because of a missing scene/dialogue. The rest are more conveniences than anything else.

BANE

BANE

The standard definition of a plothole includes unlikely character behaviours. Which I don't tend to count, as literally every fiction movie has instances of that.

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: Darth Vile on Aug 05, 2012, 03:57:16 PM
It really depends on what your definition of atmospheric is. It terms of style, Prometheus is closer to Gladiator than it is to Alien or Bladerunner. I don't think Scott was going for something particularly atmospheric... but rather grande/epic.

Well I think the film fails in that respect. It's grandiose, and simply put, the music doesn't marry the visuals in a lot of cases. There is no substance at the core. Nothing sucks you in. There is no focus, just lots of things going on but with no flow and gelling between them all.

Alien and Blade Runner have simple stories but the atmosphere, the marriage between the sound and visuals sucks you in.

BANE

BANE

I have to admit, in a few instances the music really took away from the eeriness of the scene. That epic music played in parts that were supposed to be creepy, taking a whole lot of any feelings of danger or fear from the scene.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: tmjhur on Aug 05, 2012, 04:53:23 PM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Aug 05, 2012, 03:57:16 PM

Well I think the film fails in that respect. It's grandiose, and simply put, the music doesn't marry the visuals in a lot of cases. There is no substance at the core. Nothing sucks you in. There is no focus, just lots of things going on but with no flow and gelling between them all.

Alien and Blade Runner have simple stories but the atmosphere, the marriage between the sound and visuals sucks you in.
I think Prometheus is visually quite epic and grandiose... regardless of whether one likes the movie or not. I personally quite like the score... and I find it very reminiscent of other Jerry Goldsmith work - including the main theme from Alien.

In terms of Alien and Blade Runner - I'd agree about the former but not the latter. Blade Runner is not that simple, and whilst I've always loved the movie (from both a visual and narrative perspective), I know just as many people who don't get it or out and out dislike it... and remember Blade Runner was not that well received with audiences upon initial release.

Quote from: BANE on Aug 05, 2012, 06:56:30 PM
I have to admit, in a few instances the music really took away from the eeriness of the scene. That epic music played in parts that were supposed to be creepy, taking a whole lot of any feelings of danger or fear from the scene.
Any specific examples Bane? I thought the music worked more than it didn't - thinking specifically of 'Going In' and Engineers' - which seemed to fit perfectly with what happened in the temple/ship.

On the subject of the score...

I have to admit that both 'A Planet' and 'Life' from the Prometheus soundtrack are now irrevocably part of my music collection. I do love 'A Planet' but it was definitely a stroke of genius to override it to incorporate a more 'positive themed' mood for the sacrificial engineer prelude.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that 'A Planet' was originally intended to be used for the 'beginning of time' sequence.

Gazz

Gazz

Yeah, I came to that conclusion also. And although I agree with the decision to swap it out I still think it's a great track.

T Dog

T Dog

I don't think the visuals or the music and sound design are bad by themselves.
I just don't think they gel together well, they don't marry to enhance and heighten the power of either of them and thus they fall flat.

SiL

SiL

Maybe this time they could make a movie that's actually as smart as it thinks it is. Or at least, stop acting like asking "Where did we come from? Aliens?" is some kind of deep, profound question. It isn't.

Mediteralien

Mediteralien

Quote from: SiL on Aug 05, 2012, 10:27:57 PM
Maybe this time they could make a movie that's actually as smart as it thinks it is. Or at least, stop acting like asking "Where did we come from? Aliens?" is some kind of deep, profound question. It isn't.

I agree. The lack of wonder and amazement on the screen (in response to those questions of human origins and the potential answers) was reflected in the audience. It was much more intriguing to see the environment, and consider the origins of the engineers.

I'm now interested to see how they are going to integrate more human characters in this next film (as in human actors/actresses). I don't think it's wise to return to this same planet with a search squad, but it would be odd to find Earthlings on other engineer planets (unless Yutani is involved?). Hmm..

Zoetrope

Zoetrope

"A book is a mirror: if an ape looks into it an apostle is hardly likely to look out."

Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: tmjhur on Aug 04, 2012, 01:49:14 PM
God it's not bloody hard.

Use more appropriate music and sound design that doesn't constantly try and force the audience into feeling "oh booooyyyy this is EPIC Duuuuude". Either make an atmospheric horror movie or make a hard science fiction movie. The two obviously don't seem to mesh and just cause each other to fizzle out.

Have more focused plotting. Having groups of characters all over the place that you have to keep cutting to and from just disintegrates the forward momentum of the plotting. If you are going to try and do this, watch Magnolia, notice how that movie uses music to weave a flowing tapestry that handles a several story lines simultaneously.

Scrub up the creature CGI.

Don't have so many plot holes, and don't make me pay 9 euro only to get 50% of a story. If you are going to give the audience a half assed story then make sure that you make up for it by having the movie dripping in mood and atmosphere.

Stop being so up your own arses. The audience is smarter than you think. Stop treating us like bufoons. Use your millions of dollars to make something highly artistic and forward reaching that cuts to the core of human feelings.

Agree.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed