Starmap: NOT an invitation - so what is it?

Started by 180924609, Jul 05, 2012, 09:18:26 PM

Author
Starmap: NOT an invitation - so what is it? (Read 28,249 times)

BANE

Surely you can see where I'm coming from though? I mean, there just has to be another explanation...the lid disintegrates at the beginning, but there are no humans there to contaminate it. I would assume the beginning had an atmosphere similar to the Jockey terraforming atmosphere, as they were without masks and were breathing fine. The ampules in the head room were in the same atmosphere, but the lids didn't disintegrate. Until a human presence was there...but then the other ampules in the storage room didn't react at all to human presence, and also had intact lids...

AAAAAAAUUUUGGGHHH!

Prime113

Ehhh, they didn't start acting up until David touched one, right? David didn't touch any of the urns in the Storage room.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jul 06, 2012, 12:03:56 AM
Theory: Judging by all the bioweapons scattered about the place....

the starmap was more of a "if you f**k with us your DOOM will come from this place."

2000 years ago, shit went down and they were getting ready to go and kill us.. but a xeno outbreak prevented them.
(sabotage? Someone released the xeno's on purpose? We'll see in the sequel. If they ever get around to make it. eh!)

Shaw is the one that says that the starmap is an invitation.. she's also the one that raises an eyebrow about the security guy taking flamethrowers on the expedition... the whole "it's an invitation" was just wishful thinking on her part.
The whole voyage is based on many "if's" and leaps of logic.. rightfully mocked by David and Fifield early on in the film.
Yea and yup. :)

They didn't even know what the liquid on the floor was. If it was water it should have been frozen and the best answer they came up with was alien piss or something.

Could it be possible that the jockies actually breath the air outside vs inside the temple? The air inside could be a side effect of creating the outside atmosphere. If we are to believe that Jockey's came to earth eons ago; the atmosphere was vastly different back then. When the jockey was putting the helmet on he took a deep breath almost as if he was holding his breath in for a while. Could also explain why he didn't chase down shaw and became so violent.

I'm thinking the outbreak forced the jockies to escape to the nearest habitable planet, however it needed it's atmosphere changed first. Meaning no hard feelings but people has got to go. Maybe space Jesus(prometheus) was our salvation. They're not angry at us for doing something bad but someone over there took pity on us.

HUGZZ

HUGZZ

Quote from: Prime113 on Jul 06, 2012, 12:31:54 AM
Ehhh, they didn't start acting up until David touched one, right? David didn't touch any of the urns in the Storage room.

I think you may be getting at something here, there was thousands apparently of ampules in that room on the way to the last engineer but none of those activated despite the atmosphere probably changing more hen the head room (since its door was sealed shut unlike the head rooms) plus the ampules didn't start going off until david made contact with one so perapse it's not the atmospheric disturbance OR just the sentient presence perhapse it's because of the actual contact that activates them, maybe through a hive like mind between them or some kind of other technology that only reaches a certain radius.
As for what he star map is I assume it was misinterpreted and was originally a warning, much like how in alien when they think it's a distress signal calling them its actually a warning signal :/

samoht

Not every life sustaining planets can support humans.

HUGZZ

Quote from: samoht on Jul 06, 2012, 01:37:43 AM
Not every life sustaining planets can support humans.

After all those worm things were out on the planets surface, before being picked up and put into the head room.

evolution_rex

Where are people getting the idea that the goo activates in a breathable atmosphere?

NGR01

NGR01

Dunno lol
Looks like it's always active to me.
The ampule room was hermitically sealed and when it opened after 2000 years well the pression or whatever change in the atmosphere made it leak.
That is all.

But you guys are good to find even more complex explanations.
Discussed once with a famous scifi scriptwriter, he said that fanfictions or theories found on some forums ends up being much better than what the screenwriters come up with the only thing is that most of those fans lack the writing skills to formulate their ideas and concept in proper manners in scripts.

zuzuki

Quote from: Aceburster on Jul 05, 2012, 10:02:25 PM
  Id just like to point out that the concept that "breathable air" triggering the goo waking up makes no sense because the door to that urn chamber was open... so it could close on the Engineers head. Nothing should have changed in that room due to atmosphere 2000 years later since it was the same air in the same situation and the same complex.

In screenwriting, its called a "plot hole".
Or the fact that the ampules were there for 2000 years made them more vulnerable to atmospheric changes. You people see plotholes even when it starts raining outside on a beautiful sunny day

Effectz

Quote from: Prime113 on Jul 06, 2012, 12:31:54 AM

They are like leeches,Felt a presence of a being and it reaches out.

David attenborough shit.

I would mention carbon dioxide and warmblooded mamals but meh.

Darth Vile

Quote from: 180924609 on Jul 05, 2012, 09:18:26 PM
The atmosphere on LV223 isnt breathable for humans or Engineers since their DNA matches ours and they are only mortal after all, according to David.

Thats ANOTHER story goof right there, because Space Hippy Holloway said that the system had a sun like ours and had a planet that could sustain life. Eh?!

So then - the 'reception party' must be in the pyramid/domes, yes?

But wait a minute, the inside of these domes is essentially a gigantic sewer network of tunnels, shafts and helixes that somehow makes breathable air? Furthermore, deep within these tunnels is a room that contains a hideous bioweapon that they are apparently loading into Juggernauts, destined for 'naughty planets' that need the black-goo treatment. But the bioweapon is 'activated' and bursts from its container on contact with a breathable atmosphere - like the scene at the waterfall. This is surely the dumbest aspect of this story - why would they store such volatile containers within an atmosphere generator?!

So...why exactly did multiple ancient astronauts bother to meticulously describe a star configuration in the sky to many different primitive civilizations so that they could draw it into artefacts or cave walls? Heck, the primitive folks couldnt even see it in the night sky!

Point 1 - My assumption is that LV233 had the right conditions to "sustain life" because there was evidence of water/oxygen on a planet that had a similar mass/gravitational pull and temperature to Earth. That of course doesn't mean that they can expect to be sitting by a lake in shorts eating cold chicken... but it also means that they don't expect to fry/freeze on contact or be crushed by the planets gravity.

Point 2 - There are a couple of assumptions here. We can assume from the opening scene with the engineer and the scene in the ampule room that the black goo somehow activates on contact with air or other. Also we know that the ampule room has been sealed for circa 2000 years... Therefore, I don't think it's a big stretch to assume that the conditions of the ampule room and/or the ampules have become unstable.

episodenone

Quote from: BLAIN on Jul 05, 2012, 10:45:15 PM
Quote from: 180924609 on Jul 05, 2012, 09:18:26 PM
The atmosphere on LV223 isnt breathable for humans or Engineers since their DNA matches ours and they are only mortal after all, according to David.

Thats ANOTHER story goof right there, because Space Hippy Holloway said that the system had a sun like ours and had a planet that could sustain life. Eh?!
So? There's life on earth that doesn't require the same atmospheric conditions to live as us.

You're letting your dislike of the movie hinder yourself from thinking.

So then - the 'reception party' must be in the pyramid/domes, yes?

But wait a minute, the inside of these domes is essentially a gigantic sewer network of tunnels, shafts and helixes that somehow makes breathable air?
I don't see what the issue is here...there's tech in the structure that is creating a breathable atmosphere.

Oh my god, I only see tunnels and ladders in submarines in The Hunt for Red October...how silly. Somehow these ladders are making breathable air! Sweet Jesus, screenwritiers, get your acts together!

QuoteFurthermore, deep within these tunnels is a room that contains a hideous bioweapon that they are apparently loading into Juggernauts, destined for 'naughty planets' that need the black-goo treatment. But the bioweapon is 'activated' and bursts from its container on contact with a breathable atmosphere - like the scene at the waterfall.
No, the goo never bursts forth at the beginning, the guy opens the mini-wok, drinks the goo, and is disintegrated, his DNA broken down and rebuilt, cellular life begins anew, etc...

And it's clearly NOT bursting forth in contact with a breathable atmosphere, because the entire place has a breathable atmosphere, including the room where thousands of them have been stored, just outside the hologram room. And yet none of those "burst forth".

QuoteThis is surely the dumbest aspect of this story - why would they store such volatile containers within an atmosphere generator?!
Because it's obviously activated by something else, besides the air, or they would have leaked millenia ago. Human presence, perhaps, which would be suitable seeing as they were purposed for human destruction. There was obviously some sort of connection with the facility, because the murals began to move around before activation. Thus explaining the lack of bursting forth when David brings the single vial to the ship.

QuoteSo...why exactly did multiple ancient astronauts bother to meticulously describe a star configuration in the sky to many different primitive civilizations so that they could draw it into artefacts or cave walls? Heck, the primitive folks couldnt even see it in the night sky!
I don't know.

Maybe a 'you were made here' sort of thing? Or perhaps a sign of the coming apocalypse, like many christian paintings displaying the apocalypse? Or perhaps it was a sign showing the location of the secret of life, and they only stopped being painted after we pissed them off enough for them not to want to show us?

This is one question I don't know the answer to.

Thank you for making the post I was going to Blain.

Perhaps 2000 - or way more obviously - years ago - the Engineers did not intend for us to visit their death factory.  Maybe the Engineers have motives you cannot understand?   Since you have such a small imagination perhaps we can agree that using it to understand the deeper concepts of this movie is beyond your capabilities?

LV-223 did have the means to support life.  Obviously.

And not sure if you remember...

1 - Shaw "It's an invitation"
2 - Shaw "I was so wrong"

Wow - you can lead a horse to water...

Great OP... OP -- try... using... your brain... and go back to watching The Transformers.  Because all that made sense.

Aceburster

Quote from: zuzuki on Jul 06, 2012, 08:09:08 AM
  Id just like to point out that the concept that "breathable air" triggering the goo waking up makes no sense because the door to that urn chamber was open... so it could close on the Engineers head. Nothing should have changed in that room due to atmosphere 2000 years later since it was the same air in the same situation and the same complex.

Or the fact that the ampules were there for 2000 years made them more vulnerable to atmospheric changes. You people see plotholes even when it starts raining outside on a beautiful sunny day

Im just pointing out the silly inconsistencies of the film. If we wanna get into the state of the urns being weakened over time, then what about the stacks aboard the ship that never broke after 2000 years and the one David ran off with during the storm?

Which brings me to another inconsistency i JUST thought of in that for Space Jam to get outta the ship after it crashed he should have had to swim through all the broken urns in the room connecting from the control room to the outside, not to mention Shaw would never get in and get Davids head.

This movie is like swiss cheese, its not my fault.

psychonaut25

QuotePerhaps 2000 - or way more obviously - years ago - the Engineers did not intend for us to visit their death factory.  Maybe the Engineers have motives you cannot understand?

maybe engineers showed us the map , because they didn't think that we will survive for so long and develop a technology to travel there. Maybe that was the reason why they want us to destroy later (some 2000 years ago) because they were afraid of us, of our technological development.

BANE

Quote from: Aceburster on Jul 06, 2012, 02:29:00 PM
Quote from: zuzuki on Jul 06, 2012, 08:09:08 AM

Im just pointing out the silly inconsistencies of the film. If we wanna get into the state of the urns being weakened over time, then what about the stacks aboard the ship that never broke after 2000 years and the one David ran off with during the storm?

Which brings me to another inconsistency i JUST thought of in that for Space Jam to get outta the ship after it crashed he should have had to swim through all the broken urns in the room connecting from the control room to the outside, not to mention Shaw would never get in and get Davids head.

This movie is like swiss cheese, its not my fault.

Better storage.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed