Story of creation, the gods and the MAN WHO STOOD AGAINST THEM

Started by 180924609, Jun 30, 2012, 11:20:58 PM

Author
Story of creation, the gods and the MAN WHO STOOD AGAINST THEM (Read 2,905 times)

An actual Ridley Scott quote about Prometheus from early last year, presumably when they were deep into filming:
"Its the story of creation, the gods and the man who stood against them"

I've posted this before but nobody picked up on it - so I'm offering it up for debate again.

Whats up with the "man who stood against them" quote? That remark doesnt really match up with any character or character motivation in the actual movie. Also, stood implies past tense.

Of course Ridley could simply be cryptically describing the last minute actions of Janek ramming of the Juggernaut. But that would be lame.

I am assuming that the 'vengeance for Jesus' back stage gossip is simply that - a whimsical thinking out loud concept with fractional debate value but ultimately misdirection. Ridley himself revealed that it would be 'a little too on the nose'. Plus I seriously doubt they would reveal that as the 'answer', days after the movie release if a sequel is intended.

So is this another classic stirring up a hornets nest for a debate knowing full well what they intend to reveal as the 'answer' for the 2000 year old extinction/transmutation order for planet Earth? Is there a human related reason as to what actually went wrong on LV223 rather than a simple 'lack of containment accident'? If the Engineers have been frequently visiting Earth civiliisations in the past it is possible they could have taken a few earth humans back with them to LV223 or homeworld??

This is the kind of epic storyline I had hoped for Prometheus rather than idiots in space.

Ruk

Quote from: 180924609 on Jun 30, 2012, 11:20:58 PM
An actual Ridley Scott quote about Prometheus from early last year, presumably when they were deep into filming:

I've posted this before but nobody picked up on it - so I'm offering it up for debate again.

Whats up with the "man who stood against them" quote? That remark doesnt really match up with any character or character motivation in the actual movie. Also, stood implies past tense.

Of course Ridley could simply be cryptically describing the last minute actions of Janek ramming of the Juggernaut. But that would be lame.

I am assuming that the 'vengeance for Jesus' back stage gossip is simply that - a whimsical thinking out loud concept with fractional debate value but ultimately misdirection. Ridley himself revealed that it would be 'a little too on the nose'. Plus I seriously doubt they would reveal that as the 'answer', days after the movie release if a sequel is intended.

So is this another classic stirring up a hornets nest for a debate knowing full well what they intend to reveal as the 'answer' for the 2000 year old extinction/transmutation order for planet Earth? Is there a human related reason as to what actually went wrong on LV223 rather than a simple 'lack of containment accident'? If the Engineers have been frequently visiting Earth civiliisations in the past it is possible they could have taken a few earth humans back with them to LV223 or homeworld??

This is the kind of epic storyline I had hoped for Prometheus rather than idiots in space.

Why is it so hard for people to understand the movies.com interview? "On the nose" means THAT IS THE STORY. It just wasn't included in THE SCRIPT!

Prometheus is a Greek myth. Study it, and you will understand what Scott is saying.

Who was the Prometheus character in the movie? I would say it was David, who stole the black goo.

Lost Predator

I highly doubt that is the story (refering to the fall of the engineer base), but I like the idea of a human standing up to them 2,000 years ago. Adds something interesting to the mix. But in the big picture, it makes more sense that the engineers just lost control of their bio-weapon.

Face Jockey

Weyland. Weyland took it upon himself to risk all of humanity in a desperate deathbed mission to extend his own life.

Max Powers

Maybe we will get answers in a sequel. Maybe we won't.

Regardless it looks to me like the engineers are extremely inept. Kind of like stormtroopers that can't hit anything they're aiming at.

Ruk

Quote from: Face Jockey on Jul 01, 2012, 01:58:41 AM
Weyland. Weyland took it upon himself to risk all of humanity in a desperate deathbed mission to extend his own life.

Yes, but Weyland didn't steal anthing from the Gods like Prometheus. David did, and gave it to man. The results were not quite as positive as Prometheus'. Also, Prometheus was not a man, but a Titan. David was not a man either.

Chris!(($$))!

I assumed that the man who stood against them was another Engineer. Perhaps the Engineer we see at the beginning of the film or even the Engineer we see at the end.

timiteh

Quote from: Max Powers on Jul 01, 2012, 02:27:41 AM

Regardless it looks to me like the engineers are extremely inept. Kind of like stormtroopers that can't hit anything they're aiming at.

I agree. At this rate the sequel will end with Shaw and David wiping out the engineers homeworld and going back to Earth with the head of the engineer as a throphy.

xii22loop

Quote from: timiteh on Jul 01, 2012, 01:23:34 PM
Quote from: Max Powers on Jul 01, 2012, 02:27:41 AM

I agree. At this rate the sequel will end with Shaw and David wiping out the engineers homeworld and going back to Earth with the head of the engineer as a throphy.

hahaha that doesn't sound that bad. We're already in unexplainable absurdity level storylines with how Prometheus turned out, why not go all the way and have it end like that.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Ruk on Jul 01, 2012, 06:03:24 AM
Quote from: Face Jockey on Jul 01, 2012, 01:58:41 AM

Yes, but Weyland didn't steal anthing from the Gods like Prometheus.

Well, while he didn't literally take it from the Engineers, but Weyland Industries (and by extension, Weyland himself) found the ability to create "life" in the form of androids. Maybe the Engineers felt displeased and that, like fire to the gods, creation is something that should solely exist in their hands (hence ripping off David's head and killing Peter).

episodenone

well -- a buddy of mine told me his theory was that the last engineer might have been a mad man.  that he might have been responsible for the mess on lv-223 and possibly was working alone or in concert with the sabateur of lv-426.

and perhaps the one that was beheaded had the door shut on him on purpose by the others.

and perhaps that is why those maps drawing existed - they were a friendly invitation......... until this psycho surviving engineer

not that i agree - but it has some implications for your supposition on ridleys comment

hfeldhaus

i think the man is a generalisation for all mankind. we are standing up to them. we have created life (robotics) and we have travelled across the universe to stand face to face with them. the meta narrative to the film is basically we are gods and are just as powerful as the engineers now that we have evolved

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed