Prometheus = Dark Mission-To-Mars reboot.

Started by 180924609, Jun 24, 2012, 08:29:57 PM

Author
Prometheus = Dark Mission-To-Mars reboot. (Read 10,588 times)

Ruk

Quote from: 180924609 on Jun 24, 2012, 10:25:48 PM
Quote from: Ruk on Jun 24, 2012, 10:07:31 PM
Quote from: 180924609 on Jun 24, 2012, 08:29:57 PM
"They are us,  we are them"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvISV0wGusU#

Plot hole - if the Martians were advanced enough to build interstellar spacecraft, why couldn't they have detected and knockd out the asteroid before it hit the planet?

As opposed to:

Engineer(s):
Our interstallar terraforming complex here on LV223 makes air for this hell-hole planet to enjoy one day...we should really have made a better design for this wierdo storage chamber and keep the doors closed AT ALL TIMES (how about an airlock????) so that these air-triggered-booby-trapped mines dont go-off and release their black-goo by mistake!

Oh sh1t!

IIRC, David opened a door (after he was told not to), before they got into the crude oil filled lava lamp chamber.

A few major mistakes are that it's not true CO2 levels @ 3% are deadly. That is actually the maximum safe value, which means they didn't really need space suits on LV223. Also, if the CO2 levels were that high, the planet should have been warm, not cold - according to the global warming theory anyway. 3% CO2 is about 100 times higher than on Earth.

Aceburster

nonono it must have been SpaaaaaAaaaAace Co2! 10x more deadly to conventional Co2.

timiteh

Effectively, Prometheus look a lot like Mission to Mars, besides that Mission to Mars is way more realistic and entertaining (according to me). At least this movie was not hyped to the death like Prometheus just to have this disapointing mess.
Prometheus could have been called Mission to Lv-223.

Moreover the Aliens of Mission to Mars seemed more advanced and way more cautious than the engineers.
I really like their defensive system to prevent unwanted intruders to access to their base which is not even a military one. Contrary to the engineers temple where anyone, especially the most unwanted ones, can enter and do whatever one wants including starting chaos.

However i disagree with the choice of the astronaut at the end to go to join them. After so much time, he has not the single idea of if they still exist or if they still have anything in common with what they were when they lived on Mars. If they evolved, they can be anything from extinct to god like beings,especially seeing how advanced they were to begin with, or devil like being with a fine taste for human meat who would then discover that there is a living planet in their previous stellar system where they can go to fest.
Btw, i always found strange that they let that ship behind to enable being with a similar DNA than theirs to go to join them. It could well be a trap.

Prometheus seems really to be a darker/dumber(especially regarding the characters) version of Mission to Mars and is thus even more disapointing for me. Not that i don't like Mission to Mars (i prefer it to Mars:Red planet which was quite dumb) but i do not expect Prometheus to be some kind of remake of this movie.realistic

AmazSpiderMan1

I completely forgot about "Mission to Mars". Wow.

I know this story has been told before, by virtually everyone, but did it HAVE to be incorporated into the "Alien" series? I don't know why anyone would EVER think this is what the franchise needed. A f**king "aliens made us" subplot. Ugh. Why did Ridley think he needed to use "Alien" as a spring board for this? The guy has no trouble getting funding. He could have told that story by itself. Then we would have chocked it up to, "Here's old Ridley's attempt at returning to sci-fi with THAT old concept."

But no, I think it's pretty evident he was going to direct a straight up prequel, until Lindelof came on and said,"Wouldn't it be crazy if we took this idea, and made it instead all about this even crazier idea?" I feel like they used the franchise as a spring board and they probably shouldn't have. "We promised Fox an 'Alien' prequel, to sell tickets, but we want to make our own idea. Let's do both!" Cuz half of us probably wouldn't have rushed to see this in the theater had we known it was just another "Mission to Mars".

zoidy

zoidy

Quote from: timiteh on Jun 25, 2012, 09:24:03 AM
Effectively, Prometheus look a lot like Mission to Mars, besides that Mission to Mars is way more realistic and entertaining (according to me). At least this movie was not hyped to the death like Prometheus just to have this disapointing mess.

Moreover the Aliens of Mission to Mars seemed more advanced and way more cautious than the engineers.
I really like their defensive system to prevent unwanted intruders to access to their base which is not even a military one. Contrary to the engineers temple where anyone, especially the most unwanted ones, can enter and do whatever one wants including starting chaos.

However i disagree with the choice of the astronaut at the end to go to join them. After so much time, he has not the single idea of if they still exist or if they still have anything in common with what they were when they lived on Mars. If they evolved, they can be anything from extinct to god like beings,especially seeing how advanced they were to begin with, or devil like being with a fine taste for human meat who would then discover that there is a living planet in their previous stellar system where they can go to fest.
Btw, i always found strange that they let that ship behind to enable being with a similar DNA than theirs to go to join them. It could well be a trap.

Prometheus seems really to be a darker/dumber(especially regarding the characters) version of Mission to Mars and is thus even more disapointing for me. Not that i don't like Mission to Mars (i prefer it to Mars:Red planet which was quite dumb) but i do not expect Prometheus to be some kind of remake of this movie.realistic
You really should add some sort of sarcasm tag or smilie. Otherwise people might take this post seriously!  8)

Quote from: AmazSpiderMan1 on Jun 25, 2012, 10:48:10 AM

But no, I think it's pretty evident he was going to direct a straight up prequel, until Lindelof came on and said,"Wouldn't it be crazy if we took this idea, and made it instead all about this even crazier idea?" I feel like they used the franchise as a spring board and they probably shouldn't have. "We promised Fox an 'Alien' prequel, to sell tickets, but we want to make our own idea. Let's do both!" Cuz half of us probably wouldn't have rushed to see this in the theater had we known it was just another "Mission to Mars".
Um ... wasn't the basis for the story in place long before Lindelof? I believe Spaihts said the basic plot is from his script.

But either way, I'm sure you're right, Lindelof is to blame. He always is. Whenever I stub my toe, or drop my bacon sandwich, it's always down to that idiot Lindelof.

[/sarcasm]

AmazSpiderMan1

Do you generally drop your sandwiches often?

SiL

... two pages and nobody points out that Mission to Mars was written by Jim and John Thomas, who wrote Predator and Predator 2? Really? :P

Or did I miss a post?

NGR01

Quote from: timiteh on Jun 25, 2012, 09:24:03 AM

Agreed (even if i think you're a bit too harsh on PROMETHEUS).
I saw M2M recently and at least you care for those characters, it has real suspens moment and impressive scenes.
I think PROMETHEUS should haD the same human production design, i did the retro futuristic look but more nasa looking would have been nice (like in some of the artbook illustrations) with the Engineers dark universe.
The contrast would have been very cool...
There is a middle ground between the grunge ALIEN look and the sleek look of PROMETHEUS.
ALAS...

DaddyYautja

Quote from: SiL on Jun 25, 2012, 12:04:25 PM
... two pages and nobody points out that Mission to Mars was written by Jim and John Thomas, who wrote Predator and Predator 2? Really? :P

Or did I miss a post?

OOOoooooohhhhhh!! More Predator connections!  :o

timiteh

Quote from: NGR01 on Jun 25, 2012, 12:46:50 PM
Agreed (even if i think you're a bit too harsh on PROMETHEUS).

I watched it at least twice. And then i get it trough a torrent and watch carrefully some part of the movie.
Moreover my twin brother who happens to be a writer, also watch it twice and is even harsher than me.

Quote from: NGR01 on Jun 25, 2012, 12:46:50 PM
I saw M2M recently and at least you care for those characters, it has real suspens moment and impressive scenes.
I think PROMETHEUS should haD the same human production design, i did the retro futuristic look but more nasa looking would have been nice (like in some of the artbook illustrations) with the Engineers dark universe.
The contrast would have been very cool...
There is a middle ground between the grunge ALIEN look and the sleek look of PROMETHEUS.
ALAS...

I agree Mission to Mars was, according to me, way better written and directed than Prometheus. And i really like the score from Enrico Moriccone, especially when the Alien ship was launched toward deep space. If Prometheus was equal in term of consistency of the script, direction and actors play, then it would have been a much more interesting movie.
It would have been so easy to make a Prometheus a way better movie than it is extremly disappointing that someone such as Riddley Scott failed to do so.
The movie should have been longer. The Lord of the rings movies were long but epic and entertaining. Prometheus deserved at least 150 or even 3 hours long, to enable a correct development of the characters and of the story. It also deserved much more professional characters as a crew, smarter, more efficient and a more god like figure for the engineer. Because i think that it is way more terrifying than the characters act in the smartest/most efficient way and get screwed despites this, than when the characters act in a dumb way and get screwed. In the first case it means that the ennemy is extremly dangerous and in the second case the enemy just need to be at the right time at the right place to take advantage of the stupidity of the character(cf the worm).

One of my favorite vilain is the one of the Watchmen movie. The heroes do their best to stop him but they fail because he was too smart and way too efficient for them. He even manages to outsmart a god like being despite being a mere human. Sure the movie could have been better but i really like it.

Ruk

Mission to Mars sucked. It was cheap cross between 2001, and Close Encounters. The alien was right out of Close Encounters. The Martian space ships look just like the one on Journey's Escape album!

Quote from: Ruk on Jun 25, 2012, 08:18:02 PM
Mission to Mars sucked. It was cheap cross between 2001, and Close Encounters.
Glass houses...

And,
The Martian space ships...
M2M:

M2M:

PROMETHEUS:

NGR01

Quote from: Ruk on Jun 25, 2012, 08:18:02 PM
Mission to Mars sucked. It was cheap cross between 2001, and Close Encounters. The alien was right out of Close Encounters. The Martian space ships look just like the one on Journey's Escape album!

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g14/dirt_racer/2540031-journey-escape.jpg

No one said the Martian production design was cool.
That is the only thing PROMETHEUS has really going, its engineer universe look.
We are talking about the script.
PROMETHEUS is an even cheaper cross between 2001 and ALIEN if i follow in your foosteps.
I find M2M was way more satysfying even with its flaws than PROMETHEUS.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: SiL on Jun 25, 2012, 12:04:25 PM
... two pages and nobody points out that Mission to Mars was written by Jim and John Thomas, who wrote Predator and Predator 2?
Heh. Everyone can slip.

szkoki

now comparing Prometheus to Mission to Mars  ??? whats next Jurassic Park? ET?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed