Share your memories of the first time you saw AVP

Started by JPredator, Jun 21, 2012, 08:26:04 AM

Author
Share your memories of the first time you saw AVP (Read 12,122 times)

Scorpio

I saw a cam rip of it because it didn't release here for awhile.  I later saw it in the cinemas (though I was unenthusiastic at the time).  I think there were too high expectations.  It's an enjoyable movie, though.  Some of the sequences like the Queen waking up and the flashback to ancient times are really well done.

genocyber

When I first saw the movie it was with a friend on opening day. I talked him into coming an hour early because I was sure it would be a huge turnout and seats would fill up. We ended up standing there with nobody else coming by, and us sitting on a very sparse theater during watching. I felt bad for having him come after.

Infected

I saw it and got an epileptic attack before the ending,
and got back in the theatre to see the snow and the credits started to roll LoL

Corporal Hicks

I think I may have seen it on dodgy DVD before it came out in the cinema. Back in the day when we used to sly them into each others bags at school. I still went to see it at the cinema though. Twice (I got a free ticket with an Aliens/Predator boxset they released around the time and I think it was one of the first films I went to see on my own). I think the first time in cinema was with my Dad. I'd been to the local comic shop and got the McFarlane's Movie Maniacs Hicks and Dark Horse's Thrill of the Hunt. I wanted to love it. I really did. I didn't hate it but it wasn't exactly the thrill ride I'd hoped for.

SiL

Just rewatched it thanks to curiosity/masochism.

Good God this film just gets worse. There's just ... new and exciting layers to discover all the time

Scorpio

The Alien/Predator series is a lot like Frankenstein/The Wolfman (the classic Universal monster series).  The first Wolfman and the first two Frankensteins are considered classics.  The third Frankenstein, Son of Frankenstein, is underrated just like Alien 3.  Ghost of Frankenstein (like Alien Resurrection) doesn't get much respect.  And then you have Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman/AVP.  :laugh:

whiterabbit

Didn't a single person get laid once during the entire theatrical run of this movie?

Kaltes

I've kinda wanted to re-watch the first AVP now for the purpose of seeing how bad I really think it is now.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jul 10, 2016, 12:26:37 PMDidn't a single person get laid once during the entire theatrical run of this movie?

Are you serious?

You can't have that kind of smut in a PG-13 movie.

Denton Smalls

I got a free ticket from the Predator DVD release and went with my dad. People were laughing/groaning the whole time.

Afterwards, my dad wanted me to give him money back for the ticket he had to buy.

It was bad...very bad. Haven't watched it in the 12 years since. That scene where the Predator gives the heroine the xeno gear and they run off together is tragically burned into my brain.

Kaltes

Quote from: Denton Smalls on Jul 10, 2016, 07:31:03 PM
That scene where the Predator gives the heroine the xeno gear and they run off together is tragically burned into my brain.

Don't forget The Sleigh Ride of Friendship.

THE CITY HUNTER

I remember when I was a kid and it came on tv,my mum was doing something and I went through the channels and the scene came up with the guy stuck on a wall and the facehuggers coming my mum saw it and turned it off but from then i was introduced to the Alien and predator series.

Denton Smalls

QuoteDon't forget The Sleigh Ride of Friendship.

Lol "The Sleigh Ride of Friendship."

Good thing the acting was superb to make up for it.

From IMDb
Sebastian de Rosa: When I was a kid growing up in Italy, you know what they call a moon that big?
Alexa 'Lex' Woods: What's that?
Sebastian de Rosa: Hunter's moon
Alexa 'Lex' Woods: Hunter's moon.
[pause. They start laughing]

The Cruentus

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 25, 2016, 08:25:34 AM
Quote from: Edvin on Jun 30, 2012, 05:52:30 PMof course they were! but they were memorable.

They were anything but memorable... They were cookie-cutter generic in the extreme.

The only one to stand out at all was Weyland, along with perhaps Verheiden in the Unrated Edition.

As for my first memory of watching it, it was much like Prometheus - massively hyped beforehand, utterly gutted afterwards.

This.

I first watched AVP not long after it was released and while I found it not too bad, it was massively disappointing to say the least.

System Apollo

System Apollo

Quote from: SiL on Jul 10, 2016, 09:57:37 AM
Just rewatched it thanks to curiosity/masochism.

Good God this film just gets worse. There's just ... new and exciting layers to discover all the time
Masochism?  :laugh:

Share a layer with us.

Quote from: Scorpio on Jul 10, 2016, 10:26:04 AM
Ghost of Frankenstein (like Alien Resurrection) doesn't get much respect. 
As it should.  :laugh:

But honestly I really like those comparisons.

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jul 10, 2016, 12:26:37 PM
Didn't a single person get laid once during the entire theatrical run of this movie?
I did, it being bad made up for most of the excuse..

Quote from: Kaltes on Jul 10, 2016, 07:24:32 PM
I've kinda wanted to re-watch the first AVP now for the purpose of seeing how bad I really think it is now.
Don't watch a movie if you inherently think it is a bad film. If anything just skip to the fight scenes.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 10, 2016, 07:26:48 PM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Jul 10, 2016, 12:26:37 PMDidn't a single person get laid once during the entire theatrical run of this movie?

Are you serious?

You can't have that kind of smut in a PG-13 movie.
Sure you can
Quote from: Kaltes on Jul 10, 2016, 07:50:05 PM
Quote from: Denton Smalls on Jul 10, 2016, 07:31:03 PM
That scene where the Predator gives the heroine the xeno gear and they run off together is tragically burned into my brain.

Don't forget The Sleigh Ride of Friendship.
Hahaha, Paul Anderson was a fan of the expanded universe. I remember getting hyped for that and the trailer where you saw the Alien and Predator face off on television. Lance Henrikson was also another piece of good signs to come. I remember playing AvP2 and these custom maps would come out with themes referring the film. Many communal fan websites dedicated to AvP, Alien and Predator littered everywhere. And then the film came out...
I was disappointed... It was fairly short in the middle.. I liked the action sequences however. The pacing and the disregard for dialogue and acting is atrocious however. I remember telling myself how if the film was going to be good they will make an AvP3 game. At the end of that movie I knew that that was going to be imposible.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed