Altar Bowl / Green Crystal

Started by 180924609, Jun 17, 2012, 09:42:58 PM

Author
Altar Bowl / Green Crystal (Read 12,127 times)

I thought I would devote a more generic thread to this subject.

[From the trailer]
The object at the centre of the 'Altar table' looks very similar to the 'sealed sacrificial bowl' from the movie start sequence at the waterfall. Once the engineer removes the 'outer foil', the inner mini-urn reacts with the atmosphere (like the urns in ampule room) and then he drinks the contents, and dissolves etc.

[From the movie]
But the movie shows a green crystal stone lying at the centre of this 'altar table'.

The altar table of course lies in front of a large image of a very xeno-alien looking creature. Unfortunately it now appears that the creature in the image is the 'deacon' goblin-alien that is seen at the end of the movie, birthed from the engineer. Design issues aside, it is still intriguing as to the relationship between the black goo and the 'deacon'.

But the change of imagery from bowl to green crystal remains a mystery!

Aceburster

Aceburster

The 14th crystal skull!

acrediblesource

I do rememeber that from the trailer as being exactly like the bowl the engineer drinks from in the opening. I do believe that that scene got cut from the movie as i never saw it ever. But the green thing resembles somethiing that needs to be touched. much like how David touched the door and other mechanics in the Orrey in a certain way to activate it. We can assume now that it could be a door or perhaps something much stranger.

The mural we see after reading several posts on this subject shows the deacon xeno, below him are quiet precise drawings of a man or engineer being face huggered, and at the very top of the mural could be what seems to resemble a type of crown symbolism. Its quiet possible that this deacon xeno is a pseudo queen that might lay eggs.

On the note, the murals above the engineer giant head depicts the second image from the art book that looks to be two alien hands grasping an open egg. Don't know why it was drawn like it was opening the egg in front of it's own head. thats puzzling. Very Ridley.

Face Jockey

Face Jockey

Quote from: 180924609 on Jun 17, 2012, 09:42:58 PM
I thought I would devote a more generic thread to this subject.

[From the trailer]
The object at the centre of the 'Altar table' looks very similar to the 'sealed sacrificial bowl' from the movie start sequence at the waterfall. Once the engineer removes the 'outer foil', the inner mini-urn reacts with the atmosphere (like the urns in ampule room) and then he drinks the contents, and dissolves etc.

[From the movie]
But the movie shows a green crystal stone lying at the centre of this 'altar table'.

The altar table of course lies in front of a large image of a very xeno-alien looking creature. Unfortunately it now appears that the creature in the image is the 'deacon' goblin-alien that is seen at the end of the movie, birthed from the engineer. Design issues aside, it is still intriguing as to the relationship between the black goo and the 'deacon'.

But the change of imagery from bowl to green crystal remains a mystery!

I find it significant that the scene wasn't cut, but changed. The audience is definitely supposed to notice this object, and these changes take time and cost money to implement. If the original inclusion of the sacrifice cup was just "too much", this few second scene could have simply been left out. The fact that it was left in and changed is interesting.

spinksy

spinksy

I'm just in the door from seeing the film for the second time - me and my mates were all talking about the green altar object too! It's focused on at least 3 times giving a good indication that it SHOULD be noticed and is a relevant object in the equation!

Hmmm

Ruzena

Ruzena

Sacrifical bowl looks like the same on the start of the movie. So you have 1000000 urns with black goo and one bowl with black goo... Grats Lindelof good job!

Green emerald? Probably same shit as flute, but Lindelof thought stupid people in the cinema would be freaked out.

Guy: "OH MY GOD GREEN GEM! Mystery, why its there???"
Lingelof: "I WILL NOT TELL!!!!! Its mystery!"

Cybercat

Cybercat

Quote from: Ruzena on Jun 17, 2012, 11:29:30 PM
Sacrifical bowl looks like the same on the start of the movie. So you have 1000000 urns with black goo and one bowl with black goo... Grats Lindelof good job!

Green emerald? Probably same shit as flute, but Lindelof thought stupid people in the cinema would be freaked out.

How about you stop over-reacting to something no one really had an issue with?   ::)  And I can't believe fans of Alien want everything explained to them.  I'm still overdosing on the hypocrisy.

HybridNewborn

HybridNewborn

Quote from: Cybercat on Jun 18, 2012, 01:47:02 AM
Quote from: Ruzena on Jun 17, 2012, 11:29:30 PM

How about you stop over-reacting to something no one really had an issue with?   ::)  And I can't believe fans of Alien want everything explained to them.  I'm still overdosing on the hypocrisy.

I know right?

"I'M NOT BEING SPOON-FED!!!!" RAAAGGGGGGEEEEEE

:laugh:

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

I don't mind these little mysteries as they hint at some broader design behind what will hopefully become a larger mythology. Of course it could be just smoke and mirrors, but I am willing to be cautiously intrigued... for now.

acrediblesource

It goes to show how smart this movie is where in Alien, the alien was the main concern and you just forget about the SJ, then sequel after sequel happens. In Prometheus, people are starting to hit the rewind in their brains because the Alien here isn't quite so Alien and  the ending doesn't lead up to the first movie.
And bottom line you have some really compelling characters all with their own agenda.
It pulls at your brain to get you to try to figure it all out where all you really want is that one xenomorph which you know Ridley won't give you.

urvile

urvile

I'm wondering if the original Altar Bowl coincided with the Altar door opening before that idea got scrapped. Hmmm

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Jun 18, 2012, 01:55:58 AM
I don't mind these little mysteries as they hint at some broader design behind what will hopefully become a larger mythology. Of course it could be just smoke and mirrors, but I am willing to be cautiously intrigued... for now.
It's probably a bit of both...

Infected

Infected

Its a DVD rewinder.

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

first time I saw it thought I could see something inside. don't think that's true though.

odd change. wondering if they shot the scene two ways or put in the rock digitally. and why would they want to remove the bowl as a repeated motif? mysteries.

AGS

AGS

Well, since there are green "crystals" inside the urns, maybe thats the "BIG green crystal" that can make queens, or the guy in the wall... or something like that... thats how i connect the green crystal with the rest of the room...

btw, sry my bad english

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed