Great new Prometheus SEQUEL article!

Started by amazing_prometheus, Jun 12, 2012, 06:30:33 PM

Author
Great new Prometheus SEQUEL article! (Read 25,896 times)

Ruzena

Quote from: tines28 on Jun 13, 2012, 09:09:16 PM
A sequel to a prequel?

Yeah, thats completely stupid idea, imagine if original starwars had prequel with sequel.... OH WAIT!

therealdavid8

therealdavid8

Wowsers the fighting amongst lovers and haters continues!

Why can't we all just get along in perfect harmony?!

Perhaps the sequel could be FANBOYS VS HATEBOYS... Dum dum dum! Haha  :P

Anyways the writer- the WhatCulture dude- who wrote this has a page with several articles on here:

http://wp.me/2tPJ3

I sent him a mail via his twitter account (@BenjiTaylorWins) and he said he is seeing Prometheus for the 3rd time this week then posting an article on 'Prometheus answers' and 'Prometheus and myth': it looks like he is some kind of literature and mythology buff so I expect them to be interesting!

Anyway definitely worth checking  out his artlces, I loved this one on the sequel!

AND REMEMBER you people- be lovers, not fighters! Opinions are like bum-holes, everyone has and needs one!  8)

HenryEllis

HenryEllis

Quote from: The Hyena on Jun 13, 2012, 09:36:56 PM
Quote from: B1-66ER on Jun 13, 2012, 07:24:56 PM
I'm not interested in the sequel at all.  As far as I'm concerned Prometheus exists in a different dimension than Alien and has as much merit as any one of the spinoff comics that dealt with the space jockeys and the alien origin.  Why?  Because I will never be able to watch any of the Alien movies again if I am to assume that the dude in the chair that introduced us to the facehuggers is a humanoid alien whose genes fathered the human race...it just doesn't fit with the mystery of the original(s) and brings it all far too close to home to have happened in a space where "no one can hear you scream".  Its interesting to see now though, 'cause I think I get why no one pursued the story of the space jockey in the Alien sequels-'cause they realized they didn't want to know his story, that it wouldn't have worked with the underlying themes of mystery and isolation already present in the original.  If space is really as vast and hopelessly uncharted as we experienced it to be in Alien, there will always be things we don't understand or know about happening in it.  You can not explain something unexplained, you must instead create something new as an addition to that world and  instead explain that.  Alien Engineers would have been an interesting addition to space, just not fused with the character of the space jockey.  Just my two cents.

You can blame AVP and to a lesser extent...Aliens, Alien 3 and Resurrection.  It made the Alien not scary any more.  The series had to be expanded in a different way.  This left only the Space Jockies as the last alternative (adding any more sentient alien races would just end up ridiculous.  It needs to stay just Humans, Xenos (and their relatives) and Jockies.

I hear you but I don't blame any of those movies you listed above.  I found the development of the alien throughout the series to be quite good and thoroughly enjoyed the visual representations of the Alien as it evolved with the technology of filmmaking.  There may be elements of the sequels and AvP that suck but the Alien kicks ass in all of them.  I do not agree with Scott's statement that the Alien isn't scary anymore Disneyland ride or no Disneyland ride 'cause something that plants an embryo in your chest that hatches as an evil version of your DNA will always be scary.  Your statement "(adding any more sentient alien races would just end up ridiculous.)" is pretty much what happened anyways.  Albino Weight lifter Engineers is pretty damn rediculous,  I'm just saying that if you're gonna do stuff like that, try not to rape the original materiel in the process-which I think they came close to avoiding actually, closer than AvP without a doubt...everything except the spacejockey as a suit existed independent of the original Alien.

melkor

melkor

Albino muscle pushers?

I kind of liked the albino muscle boys. That's what the sequel is going to be about, I assure you.

Engineers.

amazing_prometheus

amazing_prometheus

Quote from: therealdavid8 on Jun 14, 2012, 02:01:59 PM

http://wp.me/2tPJ3

I sent him a mail via his twitter account (@BenjiTaylorWins) and he said he is seeing Prometheus for the 3rd time this week then posting an article on 'Prometheus answers' and 'Prometheus and myth': it looks like he is some kind of literature and mythology buff so I expect them to be interesting!

Anyway definitely worth checking  out his artlces, I loved this one on the sequel!

AND REMEMBER you people- be lovers, not fighters! Opinions are like bum-holes, everyone has and needs one!  8)

FUNNY! More articles are coming- great news! :-)

therealdavid8

therealdavid8

Is it only me who thinks that we should get director Peter Jackson on board for the sequel?

acheronsurvivor

No on the sequel. 

The first word that came to mind when I walked out of the theater was "disapointing". I saw the same look on people who walked out of the previous showing while in line.  It was a complete dud.  I'm sure the 20-year olds who trampled over one another to see the silly "Battleship" and "Transformer" movies loved it, but not me.  It was a complete waste of energy and technical expertise.  It never connected emotionally -- and what could anybody expect, since Lindelof wrote the story in 2 WEEKS.  That's the problem with all these inferior movies nowadays.  Too much emphasis on CGI and mindless action and not enough time spent on story, plot and character development.  If you don't connect the audience emotionally, you fail. It's that simple. 

The movie left way to many unanswered questions. Including: Why did these "Engineers" hate the humans they supposedly created?  And how was Shaw going to survive on an alien spacecraft with no food or water?  Also, how did the alien ship take off with no apparent propulsion equipment or fuel stores, and why didn't it break apart when it crashed on the planet?  The blastoff of the ship sadly resembled the same scenes in the endings of the last "Indiana Jones" and first "X-Files" movies. They can do better.  They're were also many biological problems with the story. Like the co-joining of alien DNA with human DNA, as well as the accellerating macro-evolution of the new species. Those scenes of the pregnancy we're copied from the old 1980's TV series "V", where one of the visitors had sex with a human girl.  How pathetic.

I will never add this to my collection of over 2000 films in my library, nor do I ever desire seeing it again -- just like "Alien Resurrection".

Overall, the production design was excellent as is usually the case, but the story was unsuspensful and lame.  I gave the movie a "GENEROUS" B-. It was pretty bad for a high concept (epic) production. 

Please don't make a sequel.  "Prometheus" and "Super 8" were too much for me.

melkor

melkor

hahaha!!! super 8 was bad.

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

burn on you.
Spoiler
this
[close]

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Jun 12, 2012, 09:24:32 PM
Quote from: Ooze on First on Jun 12, 2012, 08:58:45 PM
'Plothole' is a term used as a crutch by the lazy of mind and those with no imagination.

Pretty sure most of us paid to see a movie that actually tells  a complete story instead of one coming up with our own stories of what we saw.

when people ask me how I reacted to that horror movie called Prometheus I casually look at them and say "ho-rror movie?"
while sticking a few syringes in my mouth.
"i was too busy thinking about how the intergalactic politics in star-wars work in this movie while sticking syringes in my mouth."

therealdavid8

therealdavid8

Prometheus was not thaaaaat bad...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed