Great new Prometheus SEQUEL article!

Started by amazing_prometheus, Jun 12, 2012, 06:30:33 PM

Author
Great new Prometheus SEQUEL article! (Read 25,894 times)

TrixieVanSickle

I'd like to see a sequel where Shaw realizes she's carrying the "raw material" that was used for the bio weapons, the xenomorphs, on the ship as well as one last Engineer. They awake, chaos ensues, Shaw dies, a repaired David is almost destroyed, and his last act is to send out a warning to all who may pass, on the Engineer's frequency as the ship crash lands on a nearby planet.  Guess which planet?

HenryEllis

HenryEllis

I'm not interested in the sequel at all.  As far as I'm concerned Prometheus exists in a different dimension than Alien and has as much merit as any one of the spinoff comics that dealt with the space jockeys and the alien origin.  Why?  Because I will never be able to watch any of the Alien movies again if I am to assume that the dude in the chair that introduced us to the facehuggers is a humanoid alien whose genes fathered the human race...it just doesn't fit with the mystery of the original(s) and brings it all far too close to home to have happened in a space where "no one can hear you scream".  Its interesting to see now though, 'cause I think I get why no one pursued the story of the space jockey in the Alien sequels-'cause they realized they didn't want to know his story, that it wouldn't have worked with the underlying themes of mystery and isolation already present in the original.  If space is really as vast and hopelessly uncharted as we experienced it to be in Alien, there will always be things we don't understand or know about happening in it.  You can not explain something unexplained, you must instead create something new as an addition to that world and  instead explain that.  Alien Engineers would have been an interesting addition to space, just not fused with the character of the space jockey.  Just my two cents.

NGR01

NGR01

All those discussion don't matter until we have seen the real movie.
The extended cut that will be released in fall or next year.
THEN we will be able to really judge the movie.

MrT

MrT

Hate to break this to you, but just because you think the movie is bad does not mean the rest of the world agrees with you. What counts is the box office and whether enough of the audience likes it. So far on both counts it is favourable to a sequel.

Just because Prometheus does not match your expectation of what an alien movie is about does not make it a bad movie.
[/quote]

Its not that it didn't match MY expectations. It's more the fact it is a sloppy piece of movie making. It is a bad movie. Accept that fact and that I have a right to my own opinion.

tines28

A sequel to a prequel?

VickersAsh

at this point it's just a matter of will Ridley want to make a sequel or give it to someone else.
these days hollywood is surviving on remakes, sequels and prequels.
i mean, AVP got a sequel. i'm confident we'll see one or more Prometheus sequels

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: VickersAsh on Jun 13, 2012, 09:10:19 PM
at this point it's just a matter of will Ridley want to make a sequel or give it to someone else.
these days hollywood is surviving on remakes, sequels and prequels.
i mean, AVP got a sequel. i'm confident we'll see one or more Prometheus sequels

Ridley's repeatedly expressed a desire to helm a sequel. If the numbers support it (and it's looking like they do), I'd bet we'll get one.

The Hyena

Quote from: B1-66ER on Jun 13, 2012, 07:24:56 PM
I'm not interested in the sequel at all.  As far as I'm concerned Prometheus exists in a different dimension than Alien and has as much merit as any one of the spinoff comics that dealt with the space jockeys and the alien origin.  Why?  Because I will never be able to watch any of the Alien movies again if I am to assume that the dude in the chair that introduced us to the facehuggers is a humanoid alien whose genes fathered the human race...it just doesn't fit with the mystery of the original(s) and brings it all far too close to home to have happened in a space where "no one can hear you scream".  Its interesting to see now though, 'cause I think I get why no one pursued the story of the space jockey in the Alien sequels-'cause they realized they didn't want to know his story, that it wouldn't have worked with the underlying themes of mystery and isolation already present in the original.  If space is really as vast and hopelessly uncharted as we experienced it to be in Alien, there will always be things we don't understand or know about happening in it.  You can not explain something unexplained, you must instead create something new as an addition to that world and  instead explain that.  Alien Engineers would have been an interesting addition to space, just not fused with the character of the space jockey.  Just my two cents.

You can blame AVP and to a lesser extent...Aliens, Alien 3 and Resurrection.  It made the Alien not scary any more.  The series had to be expanded in a different way.  This left only the Space Jockies as the last alternative (adding any more sentient alien races would just end up ridiculous.  It needs to stay just Humans, Xenos (and their relatives) and Jockies.

amazing_prometheus

amazing_prometheus

This (the cinematic cut) is the cut that Ridley wanted by all accounts.

I would like to see the extended cut - in 3D- in cinemas.

acrediblesource

I hope they don't make another sequel for another 4 or so years. At least the same amount of time Aliens came after Alien was released.
I think the Avatar series is going to be shite simply because they are trying to release so much garbage based on the one movie so quickly. Bet you if they release a Prometheus sequal this quickly it will be about Shaw heading back to the planet just moments after leaving and realizing they must kill the new born thing and that will be that only to find there are hundreds of them spawning. Thats the James Cameron route. They'll just have to spend a 200 mill to make hundreds of silly costumes of the new born and stupid ass marines show up all of a sudden with their egos inflated whom are all going to die.

amazing_prometheus

amazing_prometheus

There is a rumour that maybe the sequel is already made, back-2-back with Prometheus! Seems a stretch! :-O

Alienseseses

Quote from: amazing_prometheus on Jun 14, 2012, 05:32:41 AM
There is a rumour that maybe the sequel is already made, back-2-back with Prometheus! Seems a stretch! :-O
Unlikely. The first movie was a big enough risk, I doubt the studio would bankroll a second before seeing how the first fares.

amazing_prometheus

amazing_prometheus

Quote from: Alienseseses on Jun 14, 2012, 05:53:43 AM
Quote from: amazing_prometheus on Jun 14, 2012, 05:32:41 AM
Unlikely. The first movie was a big enough risk, I doubt the studio would bankroll a second before seeing how the first fares.

Agreed! Would be too much risk and FOX the company would be risk averse.

therealdavid8

therealdavid8

Great article I like this guy.

Engineers are stars! I want more of then and LESS PLOT HOLES!

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

"Its not that it didn't match MY expectations. It's more the fact it is a sloppy piece of movie making. It is a bad movie. Accept that fact and that I have a right to my own opinion."

You are certainly entitled to your own opinion. What I was questioning was your logic. You said you can't see any demand for a sequel. You state that based solely on your own negative impression of the movie. But whether a sequel will be made isn't based on your own opinion. It is based on the box office and whether enough audience likes it. As I said, on both counts things are looking favorable to a sequel (although I agree it's highly unlikely Fox has already made a sequel).

Also MrT, your review IS very much based on your expectation. You said you expected a Giger fest not angry bald guys (see your own post 37). That is your expectation of the movie. Don't deny it.

Again, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, negative or positive. But don't deny you were upset with the film because it didn't meet your expectation. There is no shame in admitting that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed