Ridley Scott might add 20 minutes to a Prometheus Extended Cut (+ more info)

Started by MrSpaceJockey, Jun 11, 2012, 02:37:46 AM

Author
Ridley Scott might add 20 minutes to a Prometheus Extended Cut (+ more info) (Read 41,105 times)

ChrisPachi

Hopefully the majority of the extra material is used to establish the characters and their relationships. The film would be a thousand times better if we actually gave a shit about the people in it.

For example, Janek and Shaw seem to share some kind of friendship or bond - Shaw has her hand on Janeks shoulder when they are landing, showing some kind of affection between them - but that is never established. All they need is a bit of setup (a conversation showing a natural rapport between them, perhaps some exposition about them becoming friends during mission training) and the scene towards the end in Shaw's quarters would be so much more effective.

Who exactly is Ford and what are her motives?

Why are Ravel and Chance so faithful to their captain?

It wouldn't need much and the film would be a million times better for it IMO.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Jun 17, 2012, 01:28:01 AM
Hopefully the majority of the extra material is used to establish the characters and their relationships. The film would be a thousand times better if we actually gave a shit about the people in it.

I agree. I'm one of the people who doesn't mind that the films keeps its mysteries, but "who are these people and how do they relate to each other?" shouldn't be one of them.

PredatorsInstinct

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jun 17, 2012, 03:36:41 PM
Quote from: ChrisPachi on Jun 17, 2012, 01:28:01 AM

I agree. I'm one of the people who doesn't mind that the films keeps its mysteries, but "who are these people and how do they relate to each other?" shouldn't be one of them.

I agree, if you dont care for the character you'll get the AVP:R treatment. xD

zakzak

zakzak

Quote from: TrixieVanSickle on Jun 11, 2012, 02:02:42 PM
One thing  that they really really need to include is the TED footage of young Weyland.  My friend saw the movie without seeing the virals and thought of Weyland as just a scared old man afraid to die.  The viral footage of Weyland really conveys his hubris and god complex, along with tying together a lot of the film, showing his ambition to actually be Prometheus.
It also gives some insight to the lack of relationship between Vickers and Weyland. She refers to him as a "king" but to the theater audience, he is just a rich old man who wanted a son.  The TED footage shows how he really does want to build a kingdom, which is why he wants a son.

I AGREE completely. The scene they should've cut is the archaeological dig at the Isle of Skye. The TED speech showing Weyland's God complex should come after the Engineer sacrifice at the waterfall contrasting the altruism of creation and the selfish ambition of young Weyland who compares himself to God. David 8 viral video could come in the middle of the TED presentation just like an introduction of a new product like those done by Google or Motorola. So when Weyland introduces David with all the talk of him not having a soul, the audience will not be overwhelmed. That briefing scene is so loaded with themes, ideas, plot that I don't know if regular audience who have not seen BLADE RUNNER and the concept of replicant could absorb all of it.

David sub-plot, him wanting to free himself from Weyland, his contempt for humans, although ties into the whole theme of Gods and his children, should be in a different film altogether. I think this is the reason people are complaint abt the story being muddled. But Scott & his writers are aiming for a very dense story here. This should be a 3 hour scifi epic. Not a 2 hour action movie with little action and horror sequences.

If Fox wants a stripped down action movie, they should remove the few gory scenes (Fifield rage attack) and remove one "F*ck"  word uttered by Milburn, and get a PG13 stamp on the movie (The MedPod can pass for a PG13 I think, there's much more gory violence in LORD OF THE RINGS movies and those get a PG13). Include some dog fight sequences between Prometheus ship & the Juggernaut, or at least show what other cool tech that the Engineer has. At least you are more focused on delivering the entertainment aspect of the movie.

NGR01

I hope that the whole final act begining with Fifield attack is re edited in its original state.
With Weland leaving the ship at that moment and all...

HybridNewborn

Quote from: zakzak on Jun 19, 2012, 03:59:24 PM
Quote from: TrixieVanSickle on Jun 11, 2012, 02:02:42 PM
One thing  that they really really need to include is the TED footage of young Weyland.  My friend saw the movie without seeing the virals and thought of Weyland as just a scared old man afraid to die.  The viral footage of Weyland really conveys his hubris and god complex, along with tying together a lot of the film, showing his ambition to actually be Prometheus.
It also gives some insight to the lack of relationship between Vickers and Weyland. She refers to him as a "king" but to the theater audience, he is just a rich old man who wanted a son.  The TED footage shows how he really does want to build a kingdom, which is why he wants a son.

I AGREE completely. The scene they should've cut is the archaeological dig at the Isle of Skye. The TED speech showing Weyland's God complex should come after the Engineer sacrifice at the waterfall contrasting the altruism of creation and the selfish ambition of young Weyland who compares himself to God. David 8 viral video could come in the middle of the TED presentation just like an introduction of a new product like those done by Google or Motorola. So when Weyland introduces David with all the talk of him not having a soul, the audience will not be overwhelmed. That briefing scene is so loaded with themes, ideas, plot that I don't know if regular audience who have not seen BLADE RUNNER and the concept of replicant could absorb all of it.

David sub-plot, him wanting to free himself from Weyland, his contempt for humans, although ties into the whole theme of Gods and his children, should be in a different film altogether. I think this is the reason people are complaint abt the story being muddled. But Scott & his writers are aiming for a very dense story here. This should be a 3 hour scifi epic. Not a 2 hour action movie with little action and horror sequences.

If Fox wants a stripped down action movie, they should remove the few gory scenes (Fifield rage attack) and remove one "F*ck"  word uttered by Milburn, and get a PG13 stamp on the movie (The MedPod can pass for a PG13 I think, there's much more gory violence in LORD OF THE RINGS movies and those get a PG13). Include some dog fight sequences between Prometheus ship & the Juggernaut, or at least show what other cool tech that the Engineer has. At least you are more focused on delivering the entertainment aspect of the movie.

I agree completely. You could get a good 10 to 20 minutes more character and world-building by editing the TED talk, the Quiet Eye, and The Intro to David 8 into the intro to the film.

zakzak

Ridley has 20 minutes. Think about it: these have to be massive amount of scenes being cut. Take the original ALIEN. The moment Ripley discovers the cocooned Dallas to activating the self destruct mechanism to fighting the Xeno in the lifeboat at the very end is about 20 minutes. There could be something really substantial being removed from the movie other than bits and pieces. Thoughts?

HybridNewborn

Quote from: zakzak on Jun 20, 2012, 03:03:37 PM
Ridley has 20 minutes. Think about it: these have to be massive amount of scenes being cut. Take the original ALIEN. The moment Ripley discovers the cocooned Dallas to activating the self destruct mechanism to fighting the Xeno in the lifeboat at the very end is about 20 minutes. There could be something really substantial being removed from the movie other than bits and pieces. Thoughts?

That's very true (although I think you meant to say that that scene was like 2 minutes, not 20 ;)). There could be some pretty heavy scenes scattered all throughout the production.

szkoki

probably the emotional part of Vickers after he killed Charlie was cut because robots cant cry or whatsoever for sure....but with the theatrical cut its still a question if she is a droid or not

MrSpaceJockey

The DAVID 8 Viral specifically goes out to state that they can replicate emotions, and even crying, despite the fact that they don't feel it themselves.  :-\

souNdwAve89

souNdwAve89

I dunno, but I always had a small feeling that David was an altered android to be Weyland's personal assistant. Speaking of viral videos, I agree as well. When I watched Prometheus for the first time, I was disappointed they didn't include the TED Talk video because it gives the audience a better understanding of Weyland. It gives a much better explanation on why he wants to live longer or be immortal, but instead we got the theatrical explanation that he just didn't want to die. If the movie goers saw the TED Talk video, they would understand much better.

I thought Quiet eye would have been a great touch after the excavation in Scotland to show her desperation to get funding for this trip. Not only does it make the funding for the trip more believable, but the video does a nice job introducing Shaw, her personality, what she does for a living, etc. I know that there are time constraints, but they could have just edited and make it shorter.

Another thing is that they would have used the meeting the crew segment in the "Making of Prometheus" video. I think it would have been cool if they showed a montage of the crew. At 2:02

GreatKnower

Honestly i don't think any real character building sequences were cut, The only dialog scene i think he cut is the full SJ/David conversation (2-3mins). The script just isn't very good with the character interactions. As far as the the other 17 mins, its all actions scenes of the "alternate opening",Full on R Shaw medpod scene. Full on R Milburn and Fiflield scene. Weyland escape/Fifield attack, Full on R rated SJ attacking crew, Full Shaw/SJ fight. That would makeup the 20 mins in my opinion.

FUBAR1945

Let me see if get this right:

No Director's Cut, but in the blue-ray it will have deleted scenes?

So hard to understand what Ridley said.

Ruk

Ruk

Seeing Shaw chop up the Engineer with her trusty axe will be worth the price of the DVD.

Quote from: FUBAR1945 on Jun 21, 2012, 04:38:39 AM
Let me see if get this right:

No Director's Cut, but in the blue-ray it will have deleted scenes?

So hard to understand what Ridley said.

I think in some other movies like Blade Runner, Scott didn't have the final say on what the final cut was. He had that say in Prometheus, so what you see IS the director's cut.

evfanjake

It's probably selfish and unrealistic, but I hope they put out a version with EVERYTHING that could be put back in without messing up the continuity of the film. They did that with the Watchmen's Ultimate Version (or w/e it was called), and it was SO GOOD. I could easily see Prometheus having a version like that, if all the extra scenes could be put in.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed