Prometheus novelisation?

Started by 523743764088, Jun 09, 2012, 01:23:39 PM

Author
Prometheus novelisation? (Read 11,226 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

If there's any Japanese readers here, pretty sure those guys got a novelization.

http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Prometheus_(novel)

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

I suspect that movie novelizations have fallen out of vogue, here in the day when you can own a movie on blu-ray two months after it leaves the theatres. It's a pity, 'cause I love reading them, but I'd bet they just don't sell much anymore.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Aug 26, 2016, 04:39:28 PM
I suspect that movie novelizations have fallen out of vogue, here in the day when you can own a movie on blu-ray two months after it leaves the theatres. It's a pity, 'cause I love reading them, but I'd bet they just don't sell much anymore.
I always enjoyed reading movie/tv tie-ins;getting inside the character's heads and extra scenes,(filmed or not) which would add detail to and expand upon the film without the problem of pacing.

Engineer

Engineer

So there's an old book, well, a short story really, called "who goes there?"

That was the book that John carpenters the thing was based on. And I believe Alan dean foster wrote a novelization for that movie...

So a novel, based on a movie, based on a book/short story.... Just thought I'd throw that out there. :-)

PS. Speaking of the thing, and this short story it's based on, I was always amazed that this short story had 3 movies and a video game based on it. A black and white movie (which was terrible), John carpenters movie (classic), the prequel from 2011 (had some highs and lows, but I enjoyed it), and the sequel-game on the Xbox and PS2 (which was kinda cool, too). The short story that inspired all this is quite good! I got it in hard cover, collected with a few other short stories, a couple of years ago. It was kinda hard to find but worth the search. I've read it a number of times already.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: Engineer on Aug 28, 2016, 04:59:10 AM

That was the book that John carpenters the thing was based on. And I believe Alan dean foster wrote a novelization for that movie...

So a novel, based on a movie, based on a book/short story.... Just thought I'd throw that out there. :-)

PS. Speaking of the thing, and this short story it's based on, I was always amazed that this short story had 3 movies and a video game based on it. A black and white movie (which was terrible), John carpenters movie (classic), the prequel from 2011 (had some highs and lows, but I enjoyed it), and the sequel-game on the Xbox and PS2 (which was kinda cool, too). The short story that inspired all this is quite good! I got it in hard cover, collected with a few other short stories, a couple of years ago. It was kinda hard to find but worth the search. I've read it a number of times already.
The original film terrible? It's a classic!

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Elmazalman on Aug 28, 2016, 10:22:12 AM

The original film terrible? It's a classic!

Lol my jaw dropped when he said the original was terrible  ;D. The original The Thing from another World is a great film. Yeah carpenters remake is great as well but the sequel was all rubbish.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Awww common, if you're a real Thing fan, you love the sequel too. And the comics. And the classic PS2 game.

The sequel was not bad at all. I thought it tied in nicely with the 1982 version. Always wanted to know what happen to the Norwegians.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Used to play the Xbox game a lot, I actually won it in a contest back when it was released. Always wanted to get and read the comics but never did.

Won't be able to agree on the sequel prequel, just didn't enjoy it. Aside from some cool imagery anyway.

Really though the original flick is a truely classic film.

Engineer

Engineer

The black and white film wasn't my cup of tea. It changed a lot of the story, in ways I didn't like. Carpenter's version was much truer to the original book. For that reason, when I watch the original film, all I can think about are the things they changed... It doesn't work for me at all.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Yes, The Thing from Another World abandon's the tale's greatest strength: the shape-shifting element. So if one's coming at it from the short story or the Carpenter angle, it could be seen as a letdown. But taken at face value, it's definitely one of the all-time classic monster movies.

I love all things Thing (ha ha), I even enjoy the prequel as a bit of fun. Did you guys know that there's a Collector's Edition blu-ray of the 1982 film coming out in October? It's absolutely packed full of goodies, including an interview with the 'novelizer' himself, Alan Dean Foster:

http://thedigitalbits.com/item/thing-the-ce-bd

Engineer

Engineer

Exactly! I saw carpenters version first, knew about who goes there, and felt let down by the black n white movie! You nailed it!

And yea I just saw the Blu Ray collectors edition this morning! Funny! :-)

Speaking of comics though, did you know there's a "newer" thing comic available on the dark horse app? It's free too! It's called "the thing: the northman nightmare." It came out a few years ago, but it's newer than the rest of the comics!

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

I'll check it out! I missed the DH Thing run back in the '90s, and always regretted that.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Aug 28, 2016, 03:46:26 PM
I'll check it out! I missed the DH Thing run back in the '90s, and always regretted that.
Me too :-(
Did DH ever do an omnibus collection for the thing?

SiL

SiL

Dan O'Bannon said that of all the films he was accused of ripping off The Thing From Another World was one of the few people got right.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

There was another funny one. Phillip K. Dick wrote a book called "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?". Then they made a movie based on it called "Blade Runner". Then shortly before the film was released they asked Phillip K. Dick if he would be interested in writing the Blade Runner novelization.

Now maybe they were unaware of his earlier public denouncement of the Blade Runner script but they did offer him a shit-tonne of money to write a book based upon a film that was based upon one of his books. Of course the catch was that his original novel would have to be suppressed. Unsurprisingly, Mr. Dick was quite frank in where they could stick their "novelization".

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed