Ridley admits pieces were cut.

Started by GreatKnower, Jun 03, 2012, 06:24:36 PM

Author
Ridley admits pieces were cut. (Read 30,849 times)

GreatKnower

GreatKnower

Check it out. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17701436

"The film is violent and tense but Sir Ridley - who has been an outspoken critic of the current rules of film ratings - insists he "cut as much he could to open the film to a wider audience."'

"It has to be about the movie, so I've made concessions. There's a moment where you don't want to harm the movie."

"But he acknowledges its a case of simple economics and getting an 18 certificate "could be the difference of $80m or more"".

Or in my opinion, the 18 rating, could have been the reason it grosses more than you can imagine.

judge death

Then there is a chance we get a directors vut in the future whatever Ridley now say is no to that, give him 5 years and we will have one probably :P

MrLee

MrLee

Well this is why older films were better, they didnt care. Movies were always 18 rated

Parker

Parker

Quote from: MrLee on Jun 03, 2012, 06:29:54 PM
Well this is why older films were better, they didnt care. Movies were always 18 rated

Amen

Divpax

Divpax

To be fair, if promethues came out at the same time as Alien it would probably be X rated.

However I agree that nowadays problem with big budget films is that in order justify the budget unnecessary changes get made.

necrophagist

Haha yeah. Back in the early 90's when i was barely into my teens me and my younger brother were getting into all sorts of films that i am sure that were carrying an R18+ rating. Alien3, Freddy's Dead, Universal Soldier etc.... Not sure what it's like these days, but they must be getting stricter on it because it seems to be having an impact on the amount of gore in films.

Ooze on First

"...cut as much he could to open the film to a wider audience."

:'( :'( :'( >:(

Valaquen

Valaquen

Does he mean content like gore, scares, tension, etc? Or content like longer exposition and character scenes that were cut for running time considerations? :/ either way

Promethean Fire

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 03, 2012, 07:59:21 PM
Does he mean content like gore, scares, tension, etc? Or content like longer exposition and character scenes that were cut for running time considerations? :/ either way

I would like to see dialogue put back in.  Character moments.  I'm not fussed about gore.  There have definitely been dialogue trims, there was a clip in marketing that showed Holloway during the brieifing telling Shaw to "keep it scientific" etc.

tonton

tonton

I can't WAIT for the DVD then!

HudsonHicks

HudsonHicks

Quote from: Promethean Fire on Jun 03, 2012, 08:05:29 PM
I would like to see dialogue put back in.  Character moments.  I'm not fussed about gore.  There have definitely been dialogue trims, there was a clip in marketing that showed Holloway during the brieifing telling Shaw to "keep it scientific" etc.

There was also a scene in the trailer after finding the star map Holloway says to Shaw "You're smiling" wasn't in the film though.

Gash

Gash

I think maybe that hints that they were editing this film right up to the wire. Maybe now the release date pressure is out of the way Ridley might have the time to mull over the Director's cut.

Vyse

Vyse

DVD thats s last year, am waiting for the VHS.

Quote from: arogony on Jun 03, 2012, 08:24:00 PM
I can't WAIT for the DVD then!

Nichs

Nichs

I haven't seen Kingdom Of Heaven but I have heard many people say that the Directors Cut of that film is vastly superior to the theatrical release to the point theyre almost like night and day.  Would be great if this was the case with Prometheus (tho I know its wishful thinking cause theres just too many problems that extra footage etc won't solve).

Eva

Eva

^ It is. Eva Greens character benefits greatly from some of the re-inserted scenes. The film still has issues, but the DC is an improvement hands down.

I'd take what Ridley says these days about not planning to do a DC of Prometheus with a grain of salt. If he confirmed such plans just days after the film has been released theatrically, it might be interpreted as a guilty plea as to whether the released cut is the best cut or not...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed