Prometheus Box Office

Started by Spidey3121, Jun 02, 2012, 03:20:19 AM

Author
Prometheus Box Office (Read 151,057 times)

Who cares how much money it makes? Jeez, how many times have I seen comments on this very forum:
"I've just got back from seeing Prometheus for the 5th time and it really did suck..."

Yeah, like Ridley and Lindelof arent milking the gullability of Alien fans...

Prometheus deserves a sequel about as much as 'Superman Returns'.

BANE

BANE

Quote from: 180924609 on Jun 25, 2012, 10:36:51 PM
Who cares how much money it makes? Jeez, how many times have I seen comments on this very forum:
"I've just got back from seeing Prometheus for the 5th time and it really did suck..."

Yeah, like Ridley and Lindelof arent milking the gullability of Alien fans...

Prometheus deserves a sequel about as much as 'Superman Returns'.
*Gullibility.

Promethée

Promethée

Honestly Greenlighting a sequel is quite a tough decision on this one.
the numbers are not so good, and let's be honest the majority of feedbacks are negative.

Even if Prometheus turns a decent profit (i'm not sure it will), a sequel is very likely to bomb.

Gazz

Gazz

Quote from: 180924609 on Jun 25, 2012, 10:36:51 PM

I don't know. How many times have you seen that exact comment?

Also, if you truly do not care about the discussion of box office return, what on earth compelled you to even venture into this 23 page thread on that very subject? I guess we just had to know you don't care.  ::)

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

The majority of the feedback isn't negative.

And this thread often veers off-topic. They all do...

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Quote from: Promethée on Jun 25, 2012, 11:05:46 PM
the numbers are not so good, and let's be honest the majority of feedbacks are negative.

Even if Prometheus turns a decent profit (i'm not sure it will), a sequel is very likely to bomb.

Look again...the majority of the feedback is overwhelmingly positive....and....a sequel would bomb? Way kind of logic is that?

SM

SM

It's made $260m on a $130m budget, which isn't anything special considering the hype prior to release, and won't make a great deal more.  They're unlikely to make a sequel on those figures unless they cut the budget right back.  Which would be difficult seeing as $130m wasn't a massive budget for this sort of film either (Madagascar 3 and Brave cost more - which still baffles me).

The reception has been pretty positive without being glowing.

Saying a sequel would bomb apropos of nothing is dumb.

QuotePrometheus is an R Rated adult sci fi film following 4 consecutive failures and is essentially the reboot of a series that has never really been the cash cow people seem to think it is. Even with it's "disappointing" domestic box office performance Prometheus is the 3rd highest grossing film in a 7 film series. And that's after adjusting for inflation.

Alien3 tripled its money.
Resurrection more than doubled its money.
AvP nearly tripled its money.
AvP:Poo tripled its money.

What are these "failures" of which you speak?

In terms of budget vs box office, Prometheus might catch up to Resurrection.

SuicideDoors

SuicideDoors

Quote from: Gazz on Jun 25, 2012, 09:57:47 PM
This whole comparing against total budget and advertising costs has become an entirely new thing altogether. Films like X Men First Class and Star Trek wouldn't be receiving sequels if that was truly the case. Also, it seems to be forgetting that a portion of the advertising budget goes towards sub sections of the same media empire (fox owned magazines, newspapers, television channels, cinemas etc.). I guess people are too concerned twisting the stats to make something sound overly positive/ negative than it seems.

I mean if we look at X Men First Class we see a film that cost $30 million more than Prometheus and ended with a total gross that won't be all that far off ($350 million). This is despite having a PG13 rating and a profitable series behind it.

Prometheus is an R Rated adult sci fi film following 4 consecutive failures and is essentially the reboot of a series that has never really been the cash cow people seem to think it is. Even with it's "disappointing" domestic box office performance Prometheus is the 3rd highest grossing film in a 7 film series. And that's after adjusting for inflation. It's no runaway success but it'll be into profit by the time the home market release comes about and Fox have always wanted to push the series forward (just as they are doing X-Men despite Wolverine and First Class hitting similar numbers in relation to their budgets). I don't see why a sequel is out of reach in the slightest.

AvP was actually a big success. I read articles about how it was one of Fox's most profitable films of 2004. It's budget was actually only $45mill, Anderson's a master craftsman in terms of making small look big.

shadowedge

shadowedge

Quote from: SM on Jun 26, 2012, 04:16:41 AM

AvP:Poo tripled its money.

Really? Holy crap. It seriously did that well? I always thought it bombed massively.

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

No need to panic, even in the worst case scenario it is guaranteed for Prometheus to earn $360m going by the potential of markets which still haven't premiered it.

Gazz

Gazz

My own stupid fault but I meant failures in terms of public reception (at least in Fox's eyes according to the documentaries) and have used that phrase earlier in the thread. If each one would have bombed there wouldn't be any such sequels. However the sequels had been slowly declining in box office since Alien 3 with AvP providing a slight blip. And although AvP-R tripled it's meagre budget it still dropped half of it's domestic potential from AvP ($80 million vs $41 million).

I saw Prometheus as an attempt to reinvigorate a franchise that public no longer thought of as being quality (as with Batman Begins) but nonetheless this doesn't change that much like Fox are doing with X Men, the Alien series is a franchise that Fox have always pushed on with. Also that Prometheus has posted the best domestic tally since Alien 3 when adjusted for inflation. The box office is also not yet up with key territories such as Germany, Italy, Spain and Japan yet to open. $260 million is the current total but far from final.

Quote from: SuicideDoors on Jun 26, 2012, 04:45:11 AM
This whole comparing against total budget and advertising costs has become an entirely new thing altogether. Films like X Men First Class and Star Trek wouldn't be receiving sequels if that was truly the case. Also, it seems to be forgetting that a portion of the advertising budget goes towards sub sections of the same media empire (fox owned magazines, newspapers, television channels, cinemas etc.). I guess people are too concerned twisting the stats to make something sound overly positive/ negative than it seems.

I mean if we look at X Men First Class we see a film that cost $30 million more than Prometheus and ended with a total gross that won't be all that far off ($350 million). This is despite having a PG13 rating and a profitable series behind it.

Prometheus is an R Rated adult sci fi film following 4 consecutive failures and is essentially the reboot of a series that has never really been the cash cow people seem to think it is. Even with it's "disappointing" domestic box office performance Prometheus is the 3rd highest grossing film in a 7 film series. And that's after adjusting for inflation. It's no runaway success but it'll be into profit by the time the home market release comes about and Fox have always wanted to push the series forward (just as they are doing X-Men despite Wolverine and First Class hitting similar numbers in relation to their budgets). I don't see why a sequel is out of reach in the slightest.

AvP was actually a big success. I read articles about how it was one of Fox's most profitable films of 2004. It's budget was actually only $45mill, Anderson's a master craftsman in terms of making small look big.

Everywhere I read I see AvP's budget as being $70 million. I also remember reading around the time that one of the sets burnt down during an explosion though that could have just been fluff.

zoidy

zoidy

It is abundantly clear that Prometheus has been a success. It's both a financial success, earning more than they probably expected, and a critical success without having stellar reviews. I expect Fox are effing delighted with how it's gone.

But for those who didn't get their personal pet Alien fantasy movie, nothing will ever make up for the crushing disappointment. *shrugs*  Live with it. Some of us are very happy with the movie and look forward to the (I suspect inevitable) sequel announcement.

SuicideDoors

SuicideDoors

Quote from: Gazz on Jun 26, 2012, 09:46:07 AM
My own stupid fault but I meant failures in terms of public reception (at least in Fox's eyes according to the documentaries) and have used that phrase earlier in the thread. If each one would have bombed there wouldn't be any such sequels. However the sequels had been slowly declining in box office since Alien 3 with AvP providing a slight blip. And although AvP-R tripled it's meagre budget it still dropped half of it's domestic potential from AvP ($80 million vs $41 million).

I saw Prometheus as an attempt to reinvigorate a franchise that public no longer thought of as being quality (as with Batman Begins) but nonetheless this doesn't change that much like Fox are doing with X Men, the Alien series is a franchise that Fox have always pushed on with. Also that Prometheus has posted the best domestic tally since Alien 3 when adjusted for inflation. The box office is also not yet up with key territories such as Germany, Italy, Spain and Japan yet to open. $260 million is the current total but far from final.

Everywhere I read I see AvP's budget as being $70 million. I also remember reading around the time that one of the sets burnt down during an explosion though that could have just been fluff.

That's a figure pulled out of thin air (I've seen it quoted as that too). But in actuality it cost relatively little for a mid-size blockbuster. Anderson says on the AvP commentary "it cost less than Alien 3" and there's a Variety article somewhere where a Fox exec sings it's praises and quotes "45". Plus, it was filmed in Prague, which back in 2004 was cheap as f**k.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: Promethée on Jun 25, 2012, 11:05:46 PM

I'm not one for hankering after pointless sequels... but I'm not sure where you are getting your facts from??? Box office returns are very, very good and the movie has a very healthy A.I from aundiences and critics.

Gazz

Gazz

Quote from: SuicideDoors on Jun 26, 2012, 01:56:53 PM
Quote from: Gazz on Jun 26, 2012, 09:46:07 AM

That's a figure pulled out of thin air (I've seen it quoted as that too). But in actuality it cost relatively little for a mid-size blockbuster. Anderson says on the AvP commentary "it cost less than Alien 3" and there's a Variety article somewhere where a Fox exec sings it's praises and quotes "45". Plus, it was filmed in Prague, which back in 2004 was cheap as f**k.

But is that cheaper than Alien 3 when adjusted for inflation (A3 had a $50 million budget in 92) . Honestly, I'm all up for placing my faith in that but I can't find any box office or film stat website that quotes the budget anything under $60 million.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed