User Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
126 (31.8%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
138 (34.8%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
62 (15.7%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
28 (7.1%)
It sucked (1/5)
21 (5.3%)
Hated it! (0/5)
21 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 395

Author Topic: Fan Reviews  (Read 159814 times)

Darkness
May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM
Topic on: May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM
Q
This topic is for you to post your fan reviews. Prometheus is technically out in France, Belgium and Switzerland today.

Xenoscream
May 30, 2012, 01:22:55 PM
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 01:22:55 PM
Q
Right... I've just seen Prometheus in Lille, France. I came A long way to see it and my hopes for the film were very high. 

I'm going to try not to give any major spoilers but read this at your own risk, I will say however that if you have watched the first 2 trailers or more, you have basically seen the whole movie.

It's hard to look at the film objectively since alien is my favourite film of all time. But here goes.

Plot: this was fairly weak and predictable, there were a few good unanswered questions, but very few and far between, mostly you were spoon fed a very straight forward expansion of the trailers, in fact all the main surprises bar one (I'll get to that) were in the trailers.... This was a bit of a let down for me but at the same time won't affect the rating I give the film as its my own fault for watching trailers etc. I do feel that the story could have been much more impact full given the subject matter. That said its still a solid film overall.

One thing I have to say about the plot is that some of the reactions, or more specifically Non-reactions to some quite alarming events by characters are nuts...some serious shit hits the fan and the next scene it's as if nothing has happened... Quite poor if you ask me.

Characters: this is where the the film shines and falls down at the same time, David is great and a complex character, in fact I'd go as far to say he steals the show and it could have easily been his story. The crew of the Prometheus is 17 and honestly I'd say 10 of them don't do or say anything and just add to the body count...I really think the film would have been better cutting down the cast and making it more intimate like the original. I hate to say this but several times in this movie I was reminded of avp1, and some of the characters feel like the fell straight out of andersons story and into this one.

Gripes aside the "main" characters are all well acted and I think did a good job, I do feel that there was more potential particularly between vickers and David to expand the relationship.

Visuals: everything looked fantastic with the exception of the creatures. Apparently no one told Ridley that Tenticles are not scary and make any creature that has them a joke. There are several Tenticled creatures in the film and the looked stupid to me I won't say anymore than that.

Oh and remember that report of the 3 xenon sat next to each other outside a stage during production? Well I can confirm that's a load of bull.

There is also an... Abomination to Alien in the film, but I can't say more without giving away possibly the only thing which is not in the trailer... I'm sure it's going to be one of the most hotly debated topics on the boards soon though.

The engineer is also about 10ft tall in the movie (he's also a douchebag) 

Summary:

I wanted to love this film, but some of the stuff in it really shits on Alien, human space jockeys, creatures which would make h.r.giger laugh, a complete set up for another movie, which is almost cringe worthy. These are things which hurt me as a fan, that aside it is a good movie... Id give it a 5/10 as a fan and a 7/10 for anyone else.

Final message is this: Ridley why the f**k did you have h.r.giger on your set and not use him, the murals were the best damn thing in the whole movie (im not kidding) (someone even says "look murals" lol) and also it's clear Ridley is a big avp fan boy (you'll know what I mean when you see it)

Final note an hour after I wrote this, don't be put off, it is a good film, just not the prequel I personaly was hoping for.

NGR01
May 30, 2012, 01:38:48 PM
Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 01:38:48 PM
Q
Be ready to get assaulted by the "you had too much expectation for this movie you set yourself to hate it" police ^^
I agree a lot with you.

Pretty cool what you did going to Lille lol!

I'm gonna copy/paste my intitial reaction here:

About the movie.
For now what i can say, is that i got out of the theatre angry.
I've got nothing to spoil because from the first trailer the movie has been spoiled to us.
I loved it until the last 20/30 minutes, i'm still trying to figure out how the last 2 minutes (Scott probably said 8 minutes because he's including the fight that leads to this moment) are supposed to make the bridge with ALIEN.
If it is what i think it is, it's just lame. My main theorie, the human Engineer is wrong, but i think that when you'll see the movie you're gonna wish it was right... And i'm not bragging...
The creatures i won't even bother...
The opening was beautiful, and there is some really cool moments.
I called the ending.
Lots of stuff is clearly missing, scenes have been clearly modified.
Some characters have their development cleary been cut from the move.

I had expectation going in.
i knew what Scott was doing, some sort of blockbuster version of ALIEN.
I was ok to embrace it. I really wanted to fuking love this movie.
As it is for now i can't.

One thing is sure, when you have great expectations, it is bound to happen some sort of backlash.
So i'm right now processing that, trying to leave my feelings and expectations out and see the movie fresh.
That is why i'm definitly going to see it again.

For me it is not a bad movie, it's a flawed and lazy movie.

UPDATE 2

Ok so the night was great and i had time to rethink about what bothered me in the movie.
I'm gonna dwell into spoilers so be warned.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 01:43:17 PM by NGR01 »

Xenoscream
May 30, 2012, 01:42:34 PM
Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 01:42:34 PM
Q
Well can't help the way I feel about it, but like I said, it is a good movie, just not so much for a fan (unless you are into tentacles)

Edit: I read your review and I guess we are on the same page, I didn't feel quite as bad but definitely the last bit felt wrong somehow.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 01:50:54 PM by Xenoscream »

Le Celticant
May 30, 2012, 02:18:12 PM
Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 02:18:12 PM
Q
Time for a Review, I watch it at Le Grand Rex in 3D with 4 other friends.

I'm going to start about the 3D since I'm someone who mainly hates the use of it.
I must say that the first 30 mins surprised me a lot with all this space sequences and it looks fabulous on 3D.
Overall the fact it was directly shot in 3D stereoscopic is a very good thing and really made the screen disappear.

If there's a movie in the whole License that I love, it is ALIEN.
It is Alien for so many reasons in fact so I wasn't "so" worry when I went to the theater when I knew that H.R. Giger was designing creatures & set, Walter Hill & David Giller producing (well that's a 50/50 actually since they produced AVP but whatever) and Ridley Scott was directing.
My only main concerns was Jon Spaiths who only wrote the Darkest Hour.

NGR01
May 30, 2012, 02:21:36 PM
Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 02:21:36 PM
Q
Well can't help the way I feel about it, but like I said, it is a good movie, just not so much for a fan (unless you are into tentacles)

Edit: I read your review and I guess we are on the same page, I didn't feel quite as bad but definitely the last bit felt wrong somehow.

I was like WHAAAAAAAAAATTTTTT???

Celticant,
Giger did shit on the movie :)
He was let go after a fight with production designer Arthur Max.
The creatures and sets are not his work but inspired by.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 02:24:50 PM by NGR01 »

Xenoscream
May 30, 2012, 02:25:20 PM
Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 02:25:20 PM
Q
Time for a Review, I watch it at Le Grand Rex in 3D with 4 other friends.

I'm going to start about the 3D since I'm someone who mainly hates the use of it.
I must say that the first 30 mins surprised me a lot with all this space sequences and it looks fabulous on 3D.
Overall the fact it was directly shot in 3D stereoscopic is a very good thing and really made the screen disappear.

If there's a movie in the whole License that I love, it is ALIEN.
It is Alien for so many reasons in fact so I wasn't "so" worry when I went to the theater when I knew that H.R. Giger was designing creatures & set, Walter Hill & David Giller producing (well that's a 50/50 actually since they produced AVP but whatever) and Ridley Scott was directing.
My only main concerns was Jon Spaiths who only wrote the Darkest Hour.

I agree with everything you said but a bit of a harsh rating

NGR01
May 30, 2012, 02:32:52 PM
Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 02:32:52 PM
Q
[/quote]

Celticant some answer are there there are just not spoonfed to you :)

Le Celticant
May 30, 2012, 02:42:04 PM
Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 02:42:04 PM
Q

Celticant some answer are there there are just not spoonfed to you :)

Ah!!! Didn't noticed this and thanks for the Giger infos too.
Though I still hold my opinion on this: It was stupid to show it and irrelevant.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 02:56:52 PM by Le Celticant »

NGR01
May 30, 2012, 02:45:27 PM
Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 02:45:27 PM
Q
Xeno that was a fair review. I'm now more excited then ever!

LOL  what a surprise.
Can't wait to read your review where you will of course say that its a masterpiece lol
Whatever...  ;)

Xeno,

mastermoon
May 30, 2012, 02:49:39 PM
Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 02:49:39 PM
Q
I've got big plans to see this move on June 15TH, but the other people posting in this topic should at least give a rating.

You people should do the "(Insert Numerber)/10" rating system more often.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 02:51:24 PM by mastermoon »

Xenoscream
May 30, 2012, 04:40:38 PM
Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 04:40:38 PM
Q
Xeno that was a fair review. I'm now more excited then ever!

LOL  what a surprise.
Can't wait to read your review where you will of course say that its a masterpiece lol
Whatever...  ;)

Xeno,

Yes! I did actually physically roll my eyes. I

NGR01
May 30, 2012, 04:52:38 PM
Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 04:52:38 PM
Q

Valaquen
May 30, 2012, 05:03:35 PM
Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 05:03:35 PM
Q
Thanks for using the spoiler tags, guys :) I think it's healthy to temper our expectations. I feel realistic :)

Facebook Twitter Instagram Steam RSS Feed