Official Prometheus Website Updated

Started by ikarop, Apr 26, 2012, 09:14:05 PM

Author
Official Prometheus Website Updated (Read 30,254 times)

And stuff

And stuff

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 27, 2012, 12:09:28 AM
Quote from: ChrisPachi on Apr 26, 2012, 11:52:23 PM
Quote from: RoaryUK on Apr 26, 2012, 11:44:57 PMPlus Burke confirms that W/Y now manufactures them

I think the exact line is 'we manufacture those, by the way', nothing about for how long or whether it is a new thing to the company. I agree however that it is odd that Ripley and the marines don't know what it is, considering that it is presented in the viral material as being so commonplace for a long time. Chalk it down to exposition - you gotta get it in there somehow I guess.
I think that's really my only "problem" with the new stuff on the website, dropping the atmosphere processor in in 'Prometheus' doesn't jive well with 'Aliens' where the AP station was supposed to be unfamiliar for Ripley. I mean it's not completely irreconcilable - maybe Burke was just being a corporate shill and doing the typical "pre-written salesman pitch" thing on reflex or something.

Like yeah it's meant to be exposition for Ripley (and by proxy, for the audience) but that still establishes some things about the universe and what the characters are familiar with. The Weyland website kind of derails that just so it can have some cute (but otherwise unnecessary) fan-service.
The proto-pulse rifle? That's pretty neat because it actually seems like a precursor to the pulse rifle we know, sorta. The power loader is kind of "eh" because it doesn't look any different, but it still sorta makes sense. The atmosphere processor is just fan-service for its own sake just so people who saw 'Aliens' can say "haw haw it's an atmosphere processor! :D" even though it doesn't make as much sense when you stop and think about it.

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 27, 2012, 12:05:36 AM
Fox Corporate is expanding upon the Universe via a viral marketing website. If this isn't Canon, then nothing is.
Frankly I've got no problem taking the website stuff as canon, but I'm an EU fanboy anyway. ;D

Quote from: Opiate on Apr 27, 2012, 12:07:32 AM
Quote from: Predaker on Apr 27, 2012, 12:02:51 AM
Quote from: Opiate on Apr 27, 2012, 12:01:14 AM
Plus very little, if any, of the website info is canon I'd imagine.  Probably just promotional stuff.
Here we stumble across the very definition of E.U. (Expanded Universe)

The viral website/videos are expanding upon the universe within the movie.

:D ;D ;)

So the folks hired to write the contents and/or build the website are adding to the EU now?  I mean come on, we have the right to pick and choose.  This just seems hokey.  Let's throw an EU Christmas special in there while we're at it, lol.
That's pretty much how it works with any "EU" - the license holders hire people to write stuff, be it a video game, comic book, website, whatever. This isn't new territory, and FOX has been doing it with the Alien franchise for decades now.

I guess if eating it all up helps you sleep at night  :P  I'm just sayin'...  you have a choice whether to buy into it or not.

Edit:  I'll admit though - the picture of the loader in the less familiar Prometheus setting was pretty cool, though I would have liked to see an older looking model.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Well yeah, everyone does, and I choose to buy into it. :) No one is saying you have to.

Paradoxically, "canon" is both the most AND least important aspect of a franchise. For some people it's vitally important, and shapes their enjoyment of it because they use it to decide what is "truth" (and ultimately whether they like the franchise and the directions it's taking). For others it's irrelevant - if the "Aliens Holiday Special" is Officially 100% Totally True Canon Forever according to Fox, it doesn't actually matter because no one is forcing them to accept it. It's a multimedia fiction franchise meant for entertainment, you should take from it what you want to, not what someone else (corporate, fan, or otherwise) tells you to.
I've known people who disliked what happened to the Alien series when 'Aliens' came out, so they only considered the first movie to be "canon". More power to them! If that's what makes them happy, then thumbs up.

SM

SM

Quote from: RoaryUK on Apr 26, 2012, 11:44:57 PMPlus Burke confirms that W/Y now manufactures them

I think the exact line is 'we manufacture those, by the way', nothing about for how long or whether it is a new thing to the company. I agree however that it is odd that Ripley and the marines don't know what it is, considering that it is presented in the viral material as being so commonplace for a long time. Chalk it down to exposition - you gotta get it in there somehow I guess.

The damning line is this:

BURKE
                    Well, the corporation co-financed
                    that colony with the Colonial
                    Administration, against mineral
                    rights.  We're getting into a lot
                         of terraforming
...'Building Better
                    Worlds.'

Xenomrph

I think they could have fixed the whole thing if the website denoted that the atmosphere processor stuff was theoretical tech or something.

ThisBethesdaSea

"we're getting into a lot of terraforming" could be taken as if they were only experimenting with the devices for years, decades maybe, and now, they're rolling them out, taking them out of the concept phase maybe?

Xenomrph

I was thinking along similar lines, maybe other terraforming efforts had been managed/financed by other companies, and "we're getting into a lot of terraforming" is meant to be solo-WY projects without collaboration.

Like I said, it's more likely that the website people just jumped the gun in an effort to have "clever" fan-service and didn't really think about what they were doing.

SM

SM

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 27, 2012, 12:17:43 AM
"we're getting into a lot of terraforming" could be taken as if they were only experimenting with the devices for years, decades maybe, and now, they're rolling them out, taking them out of the concept phase maybe?

Only if you ignore the fact that planets have been terraformed by Weyland since the 2030s.  And they lead the way.

But now it took 100 years to move beyond "concept phase"?

Xenomrph

Does the website say they were terraforming in the 2030s, or just doing colonies?

Maybe the "a lot" part means they were doing sporadic colonies, but by the time of 'Aliens' they were going totally bonkers with colonies all over the place.

Jenga

Jenga

I hope the Mercs are packing this baby in the movie and its not just made up for the viral stuff.
[/quote]

I think it's safe to say anything on this page that is a cgi rendition is stuff dreamed up by the viral marketing team hired by fox to help get the fans excited for the movie. I think thinks that are obviously production photos (the medpod, the rover etc) are actually going to be in the film.

RoaryUK

Quote from: SM on Apr 27, 2012, 12:14:25 AM

The damning line is this:

BURKE
                    Well, the corporation co-financed
                    that colony with the Colonial
                    Administration, against mineral
                    rights.  We're getting into a lot
                         of terraforming
...'Building Better
                    Worlds.'
To be honest, it was the "now" from this line that really bothered me...

The corporation co-financed that colony with the Colonial
Administration.  We're getting into a lot
of terraforming now...'Building Better Worlds.'...

....but we probably won't see it anyway so I guess it doesn't matter.

predxeno

What I want to know is why the Aliens pulse rifle doesn't have a sniper scope on it like the storm rifle; the two are clearly of similar design.

RoaryUK

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 27, 2012, 12:17:20 AM
I think they could have fixed the whole thing if the website denoted that the atmosphere processor stuff was theoretical tech or something.

...or better still "coming soon", like they did with the The IM 80 (Igneous/Metamorphic) Rock Processor. I mean no one has a problem with the idea terraforming, and it is made clear in ALIEN the crew were working off-world which is fine, guess I just imagined that place was something closer to Outland (Sean Connery, 1981) or something like that.   

ChrisPachi

Quote from: SM on Apr 27, 2012, 12:14:25 AM

The damning line is this: We're getting into a lot of terraforming...'Building Better Worlds.'

Ah, I see the problem now, thanks SM. How annoyingly daft to go to such lengths to tie the two together and then make such an obvious mistake. Hopefully the script writers don't blindly stumble into plot holes like these marketing clowns.

Valaquen

Remember how in Blade Runner, Bryant forces Deckard, the shit-hot Blade Runner, to take out those damn skinjobs, and then spends a scene telling the shit-hot, experienced Blade Runner what a replicant is, about their short life-spans etc?

Yeah, I won't be letting the atmosphere processor stuff get in the way on this one :D

Deuterium

Quote from: predxeno on Apr 27, 2012, 12:41:06 AM
What I want to know is why the Aliens pulse rifle doesn't have a sniper scope on it like the storm rifle; the two are clearly of similar design.

Just a conjecture...the specific pulse rifle depicted in Aliens is may be designed for "relatively" close quarters combat, in urban or even enclosed structural enviornments?  Perhaps the "storm rifle" is more appropriate for open, longer range combat?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed