New Aliens: Colonial Marines Images

Started by ikarop, Apr 21, 2012, 02:31:07 PM

Author
New Aliens: Colonial Marines Images (Read 43,783 times)

Iceycold

Quote from: SM on Apr 27, 2012, 12:42:46 AM
As bizarre as the premise for Alien3 is, what they're doing is infinitely more so.

For all their talk of 'This is what fans wanted to see', no one ever wanted to return to Hadley because even the worst fan fic writer knew it wasn't there anymore.  ;D

Ha! True. My main point is, they on one hand seem to dismiss Alien 3, YET they adhere to it slavishly. Whilst openly ignoring Alien Resurrection- and, as you say, to say nothing of blatantly ignoring the massive explosion at the end of Aliens itself!

SM

SM

Every video game set after Aliens/ Alien3 chooses to ignore Alien Resurrection's dismissal of Alien contact since Alien3.

It's inevitable.  If I thought a video game was part of the continuity I might care.  :)

Iceycold

Quote from: SM on Apr 27, 2012, 01:06:34 AM
Every video game set after Aliens/ Alien3 chooses to ignore Alien Resurrection's dismissal of Alien contact since Alien3.

But not one of those publishers has boasted about their game being "the true sequel" to Aliens and criticised Alien Resurrection itself. GBX are being massively incongruent here. It shows how arbitrary their decision-making process really is; not a good sign.

QuoteIf I thought a video game was part of the continuity I might care.  :)

To be fair, between Hadleys survival and the silly variations in the aliens- hi, Crusher!- I've lost most of my enthusiasm for this one. It's a "used at quarter of the price in a year" buy...if at all.

SM

SM

I tend to agree.  Even if it was the best game ever I certainly won't be shelling out top dollar for it.

But then I still haven't gotten round to buying the last AvP game and I can get that for around $20.  ;D

As I've said elsewhere, if the gameplays good the story line/ excuse for the violence to begin, can be the lamest in history and I'll play it (and it could indeed be vying for that very title).

Deathly_rYaN

Alien 3 was a fine movie, not good but fine. I understood the concept in which the directors were going except the egg thing thats all. But if another director had took the job, he/she would have possibly made it more clear for the audience. But yes, every game that has been after A3, they should not forget about Resurrection standing there...

SM

SM

They can and they will.

Iceycold

Quote from: SM on Apr 27, 2012, 01:22:50 AM
As I've said elsewhere, if the gameplays good the story line/ excuse for the violence to begin, can be the lamest in history and I'll play it (and it could indeed be vying for that very title).

However, storylines mean more and more these days, as games become more advanced. If a game's got a crappy storyline, then it'll get played, maybe ridiculed, but it'll do "ok" if the gameplays good...to a point. This, by the way, assumes its not part of a mega successful series a la Battlefield 3.

However, if a game has a solid story to go with even average gameplay, then things take off. You get a dedicated fan base. You get DLC people will buy. You get sequels.

Clearly, this is why GBX are putting so much effort into ACMs story mode- but for the life of me, I can't figure out why they've been so daft as to take this direction.

SM

SM

As you may have gleaned I'm of the school of 'the story is just an excuse to start the carnage'.  Most of them traditionally are pretty simple and often very derivative.

And simple isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Look at Doom - monsters from Hell have overtaken you base; kill them.  Super Mario - rescue the Princess by jumping a lot.

Sometimes game designers try to get too clever.

Iceycold

I appreciate your view on gaming, but i think its fair to say its one that is falling out of favour.

For better or worse, we're living in an age of increasing sophistication. And, when it comes to gaming, that includes storytelling as well as graphics and gameplay. More and more gamers demand solid, crafted storylines to accompany the visuals and derring-do.

There is room for simplicity, but it's the current trend for multiplayer to feature the simple stuff, ie run 'n' kill. I'd argue that problems (with ACM?) aren't the developers trying to overcomplicate things, but rather showing their lack of talent and overreaching themselves.

SM

SM

QuoteI appreciate your view on gaming, but i think its fair to say its one that is falling out of favour.

Oh probably.  I started playing video games in the early 1980s when the 'story' was really just an 'excuse'.  Even if you knew the backstory - you didn't give a shit, just show me where to shoot.  And I still don't give a shit.  Most of the games I own are licensed from movies - where the REAL story is.  And that's where I'll go if I want a story - a movie or a book.  Games are predominantly for switching off of brain.

chupacabras acheronsis

story in a game should be context, not content.

escroto

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Apr 27, 2012, 10:50:28 AM
but they say It is canon. There the problem

CyberDemon13

Quote from: escroto on Apr 26, 2012, 07:27:47 AM
to criticize things without an actual argumentary.

Oh sweet, sweet irony.

SM

SM

Quote from: escroto on Apr 27, 2012, 12:44:17 PM

Not if you choose to ignore it as canon.

escroto

Quote from: SM on Apr 28, 2012, 07:51:02 AM
Quote from: escroto on Apr 27, 2012, 12:44:17 PM

Not is you choose to ignore it as canon.
That I do. What kind of reasonable person could accept HH survival as canonical? ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed