The Art of Prometheus: The Planet

Started by ikarop, Apr 18, 2012, 02:56:26 PM

Author
The Art of Prometheus: The Planet (Read 25,839 times)

Mustangjeff

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Apr 19, 2012, 06:51:34 PM
I'm not saying it has to be like that -- but you cannot blame a 1979 film because it does not portray modern-like tech.

That is exactly my point :)

OpenMaw was stating how good the ALIEN series was at depicting it's science elements, and in my opinion it really wasn't because the movie made zero effort to explain any of it's science elements.  It's a great movie and imo it would have been bogged down by any attempt to explain how FTL, Cryosleep, etc works.  It's more horror (imo) than science fiction.

It was a bit tongue in cheek--By using green screen monitors the science didn't need to be explained because it was current technology. 

ryanjayhawk

Why is the Ancient Astronaut pissing so many people off?  Why couldn't an advanced life form come to earth and either seed life or alter it?  Humans have made some huge jumps in just the past 200,000 years... these jumps seem to be unique to us.  All other life forms still living in a primal or natural manner, where we are exploring space, creating nuclear bombs, etc. 

If someone can scientifically prove that we weren't seeded or influenced by another life form not native to earth that would be one thing, but it's the can't prove or disprove situation and thats where the fiction comes in.

y u mad bro?

Mustangjeff

Quote from: ryanjayhawk on Apr 19, 2012, 07:05:55 PM
Why is the Ancient Astronaut pissing so many people off?  Why couldn't an advanced life form come to earth and either seed life or alter it?  Humans have made some huge jumps in just the past 200,000 years... these jumps seem to be unique to us.  All other life forms still living in a primal or natural manner, where we are exploring space, creating nuclear bombs, etc. 

If someone can scientifically prove that we weren't seeded or influenced by another life form not native to earth that would be one thing, but it's the can't prove or disprove situation and thats where the fiction comes in.

y u mad bro?

Not sure..  IMO it's as plausible as the creation myth of any other religion. 

Do I think that's what really happened?  No

But, Prometheus isn't a documentary either.

Predaker

Predaker

y u mad bro?

ryanjayhawk

Quote from: Predaker on Apr 19, 2012, 07:34:10 PM

y u mad bro?

http://img574.imageshack.us/img574/4408/mypooplookslikeanaliens.jpg

Love those memes lol

I can't remember one science fiction movie I have seen with perfect science... the idea that we can create an android like David seems like bad science based on the fact that no matter what programs were written to determine his action/reaction he will never be able to think/feel like a human does... robots are incapable of original thought.  It's all 1's and 0's, when a calculator gives an answer to a problem it's not actually thinking.

Predaker

Predaker

Yes me too  ;D

The ancient astronaut theory is not all bad. I think its plausible that maybe one day humans will master DNA manipulation, combined with interstellar travel. Then maybe we will have our own planetary science projects  ;) unless a mass extinction event wipes us all off the face of the earth first.

ryanjayhawk

Quote from: Predaker on Apr 19, 2012, 08:32:01 PM
Yes me too  ;D

The ancient astronaut theory is not all bad. I think its plausible that maybe one day humans will master DNA manipulation, combined with interstellar travel. Then maybe we will have our own planetary science projects  ;) unless a mass extinction event wipes us all off the face of the earth first.

We need a "Doomsday Preppers" Meme... lol ;D

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Mustangjeff on Apr 19, 2012, 07:05:41 PM
Quote from: OmegaZilla on Apr 19, 2012, 06:51:34 PM
I'm not saying it has to be like that -- but you cannot blame a 1979 film because it does not portray modern-like tech.

It was a bit tongue in cheek--By using green screen monitors the science didn't need to be explained because it was current technology.

Green screen monitors? Where?   A  L   I   E   N ?  All the moving screen graphics were custom designed by Bernard Lodge to look well advanced on what computers were doing at the time. ALIENS screen tech on the other hand is pure 80s contemporary stuff.

ThisBethesdaSea

So you're hung up on the robots? Seriously? :)

ryanjayhawk

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 20, 2012, 10:05:10 AM
So you're hung up on the robots? Seriously? :)

No I love the idea that in this fictional movie we have created an Android like David...

My point is simply you can either choose to accept that the movie will not be 100% scientifically correct and knowing that still enjoy it for what it is... or realize that you are picking and choosing what you consider to be bad science.

ThisBethesdaSea

Of which most scifi films are....

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

I suppose that I hope that the background story of Prometheus that we're being given snippets of becomes redundant by the release of the movie.

I've just realised that the PROMETHEUS: The Art of the Film is by the same person who created the Art of John Carter of Mars. As much as I liked the film and the artwork of the latter, the book doesn't really feel like a book worth buying.

LarsVader

Quote from: Deuterium on Apr 18, 2012, 05:20:11 PM
Quote from: zecojones on Apr 18, 2012, 04:49:45 PM
Quote"He had accumulated a lot of research based on the original movie and the whole series," remembers Max. "We watched all those movies. Ridley had us screen ALIEN and BLADE RUNNER, and a lot of movies with 'STAR' in the title. There's three of them. I'll let you figure out which ones!"

Which films might these be?  ;D

My first, knee-jerk response...he must be referring to the only real Star Wars (Episodes IV, V, and VI).  On further consideration, I offer the following possible alternative list:

Star Wars (Ep. IV)
Star Trek TMP
Dark Star

EDIT:  ^ Shit, beaten to the punch by Lars Vader.  Lars, we were thinking the exact same thing, LOL.
Sorry for resurrecting the thread.

Just yesterday I was thinking about how they probably must have bought bulks of these movies on DVD and given to the crew and that now a lot of those people have the movies twice etc.

And a few days ago I bought DarkStar on DVD from a private seller on amazon,
it arrived today in an envelope with a big fat PINEWOOD logo on it!
It was sent from Pinewood studios, coincidence?

Zenzucht

Zenzucht

I bought some storyboards from The Empire Strikes Back and there are Lucasfilm stamps on the backside. Coincidence.

Glaive

Glaive

y u mad bro?

People will be saying Kubrick's '2001: A Space Odyssey' is shite, next...a film widely lauded as one of the greatest of the 20th Century...and has basically the same plot as 'Prometheus'; just with a happier outcome.*

*...I'm assuming.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed