Ridley Scott on the Alien connection with Damon lindelof (youtube)

Started by shamash, Apr 18, 2012, 12:07:02 PM

Author
Ridley Scott on the Alien connection with Damon lindelof (youtube) (Read 19,228 times)

Deuterium

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 27, 2012, 01:30:11 AM
It was MAN that wrote that Gods gift is free will. The architecture, and personality of God has been entirely contructed by man.

It is a curious thing, that many people can be perfectly comfortable with the arbitrary admission and utilization of diverse,  abstract "constructions" such as mathematics, ideas, thoughts, intuitions, feelings, and all kinds of phenomological concepts...which transcend our physical world (i.e are non-physical), yet at the same time deny the reality and existence of a divine Creator, i.e. God.

The opposite view is that, while man is certainly a finite (and fallible) being, Man's knowledge of an absolutely infinite God comes not only through Divine revelation, but also through innate reason, logic, and reflection on experience...all of which exercise the grace of Free Will.

Cvalda

Quote from: Deuterium on Apr 27, 2012, 03:01:18 AM
It is a curious thing, that many people can be perfectly comfortable with the arbitrary admission and utilization of diverse,  abstract "constructions" such as mathematics, ideas, thoughts, intuitions, feelings, and all kinds of phenomological concepts...which transcend our physical world (i.e are non-physical), yet at the same time deny the reality and existence of a divine Creator, i.e. God.
It is a curious thing that anyone would believe there should even be need for a God, when mathematics, ideas, thoughts, intuitions, feelings and all kinds of phenomenological concepts successfully highlight that the Universe gets along on its own fine, thanks. ;D

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Deuterium on Apr 27, 2012, 03:01:18 AM
Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 27, 2012, 01:30:11 AM
It was MAN that wrote that Gods gift is free will. The architecture, and personality of God has been entirely contructed by man.

The opposite view is that, while man is certainly a finite (and fallible) being, Man's knowledge of an absolutely infinite God comes not only through Divine revelation, but also through innate reason, logic, and reflection on experience...all of which exercise the grace of Free Will.

To be fair Deut, the things you sound off have solidified physical and documented proof. For God, not so much. Two family's can pray for their lives to get better, the next day one gets hit with a flood, the other gets a cheque in the mail. I certainly don't want to turn this into a religious debate, and I do respect other peoples beliefs even though I myself am agnostic. Mostly i'm just addressing that one point. I think that's where the distinction lies. Nobody has yet to find God's "foot print." There's a lot of meta stuff, lots of double talk that implies the proof of the divine, but nothing solid. Nothing empirical like you'd find in actual science research.

But you know what? That's not really what religion is about. Religion shouldn't try to fit itself into science, and it shouldn't feel the need to justify it's existence. Those who believe, should do so with confidence. If God is real, I very much doubt he's going to let us know from down here in any precise fashion. That would destroy the whole point of being alive to begin with.

ThisBethesdaSea

The understanding and philosophy of the/a divine creator has only come about through the writings of man. I'm actually a believer in God, but the god I believe in does not have a religious affiliation and is a different voice and color depending on who's communicating with it. God has been burdened with the confines of religion and religious doctrine, all of it carefully selected to craft an image a message with the motive of control.

Deuterium

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 27, 2012, 03:04:27 AM
It is a curious thing that anyone would believe there should even be need for a God, when mathematics, ideas, thoughts, intuitions, feelings and all kinds of phenomenological concepts successfully highlight that the Universe gets along on its own fine, thanks. ;D

Hi Cvalda,

Who is to say it does?  If the Universe is radically contingent, which I believe, then the existence of an Ex Nihilo creative agent (Supreme Being) is arguably both a necessary and sufficent condition.  Have you read your St. Thomas Aquinas?  Or, if a more contemporary, non-secular philosopher is more your taste, how about Mortimer J. Adler?  ;)

Of course, I respect your beliefs, either way

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Deuterium on Apr 27, 2012, 04:07:27 AM
Of course, I respect your beliefs, either way
Likewise, Deut-y. You know I'm just having fun with you. ;)

And no, I've read neither--but judging from what I've just skimmed doing respective Google searches, I don't think any of their writings are going to sway me from my state of heathen-ry. ;D

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: OpenMaw on Apr 27, 2012, 03:28:17 AM
If God is real, I very much doubt he's going to let us know from down here in any precise fashion. That would destroy the whole point of being alive to begin with.

Absolutely, OpenMaw, and specifically because it would nullify the existence of Free Will.

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 27, 2012, 04:10:20 AM
I don't think any of their writings are going to sway me from my state of heathen-ry. ;D

8)

I want you to know, I give generously to the Save the Pagans Foundation!

...or is it Save the Penguins?  I better look at my cancelled checks.    ;)

Cvalda

Quote from: Deuterium on Apr 27, 2012, 04:15:53 AM
Absolutely, OpenMaw, and specifically because it would nullify the existence of Free Will.
...so why did he come down to Earth all the time and pay people visits left, right and center in the Bible, demanding their worship? I guess his priorities abruptly changed when humans invented footwear slightly more advanced than sandals. :D

OpenMaw

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 27, 2012, 04:25:39 AM
...so why did he come down to Earth all the time and pay people visits left, right and center in the Bible, demanding their worship? I guess his priorities abruptly changed when humans invented footwear slightly more advanced than sandals. :D

No no no we were having a nice conversation! No. No! Bad. SHAME. BOO! *Hiss* *Spit*

Cvalda

I guess OpenMaw is a militant sandal enthusiast. :laugh:

OpenMaw

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 27, 2012, 04:38:42 AM
I guess OpenMaw is a militant sandal enthusiast. :laugh:

Actually, I think sandals should burn in Hell. Along with crocs, and capri pants.

I bet Damon Lindelof wears crocs, and sandals.

Spoiler

and capri pants.
[close]

Deuterium

Oh, come on, let's go to the stoning!

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: OpenMaw on Apr 27, 2012, 04:43:02 AM
I bet Damon Lindelof wears crocs, and sandals.

Spoiler

and capri pants.
[close]
I bet Haolloway is a tragic character.  ;) :laugh:

Cvalda

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Apr 27, 2012, 04:46:44 AM
I bet Halloway is a tragic character.  ;) :laugh:
Sweepums...

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
It's Holloway.
[close]
[close]
[close]

SM

Sandals!  f**k yeah!

And f**k those f**king Gourd splitters!!!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed