Ridley Scott on the Alien connection with Damon lindelof (youtube)

Started by shamash, Apr 18, 2012, 12:07:02 PM

Author
Ridley Scott on the Alien connection with Damon lindelof (youtube) (Read 19,436 times)

Predaker

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 23, 2012, 02:58:44 AM
That's still a theory, and not a fact.
You want facts? I have seen monkeys in Brazil doing things to themselves that I cannot describe here.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

XXX???? Lolz....describing monkeys having sexual intercourse would hardly be unauthorized. Lolz :)

SM

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Capovin on Apr 23, 2012, 01:31:46 AMNo shit, The funny thing is you're actually supporting my argument, did capuchin monkeys just develop this trait recently or have they been doing it all along? If so why the hell aren't they ruling the world with us.

And you have just illustrated my earlier point perfectly. If the back story of Prometheus requires this kind of twisted logic to make any sense then its a f**king bad story. f**k it all, I'm off to get plastered with SM's buddy up there.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: bioweapon on Apr 23, 2012, 01:36:38 AM
so as birds. hell, a dog can do that. that just prove animals have some level of intuition. but eons of animal species appear and vanish without evidence of another species as complex as human.

thereĀ“s no explanation for this yet in this evolution theory.

The bolded statment is a fallacious argument.
The rise of intelligence and consciousness in early homonids does not require any "special" explanation within Evolutionary Theory, versus any other adaptation that conferred a fitnesss/survival advantage for a particular organism, due to changing local conditions.  Human consciousness was not a "goal" of Evolution, and ascribing any special "direction" or outcome for it is ill conceived.

The simple fact is, that increasing intelligence conferred specific, selective advantages in some early primates (who happen to be our direct ancestors), due to the challenges of their particular environment.  Meanwhile, the development of greater intelligence did not confer any special selective advantages for most other primates, due to their unique environments.  Intelligence, as an adaptative solution to the challenge of Natural Selection is no better and no worse than any other adaptation, such as the venom of a pit viper, or the exquisite hydrodynamic shape of a dolphin.

Furthermore, increasing intelligence within our hominid ancestors had to confer a selective advantage, along each and every step of the way.

Interestingly, there is compelling research to suggest convergent (independant) evolution of a degree of cognitive intelligence in completely unrelated species:  Primates (particularly the great apes), Elephants, Cetaceans, Corvids, domestic Dogs, Cephalopods, etc.

The following species have been acknowleged to have passed the MRS (Mirror Response Test), which is a fundamental test for self-awareness / self-recognition, and implies a highly developed degree of cognitive intelligence:  Humans, Chimpanzees, Bonobos, Orangutans, Gorillas, Dolphins, Orcas, Elephants, European Magpies.

Capovin

Quote from: OpenMaw on Apr 23, 2012, 02:48:35 AM
Quote from: Capovin on Apr 23, 2012, 01:31:46 AM
Quote from: 180924609 on Apr 23, 2012, 01:17:44 AM
Capuchin monkeys in Brazil use rocks as tools to smash open palm nuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj7cY3w4tb4#noexternalembed-ws

Farewell, Ancient Astronut.

No shit, The funny thing is you're actually supporting my argument, did capuchin monkeys just develop this trait recently or have they been doing it all along? If so why the hell aren't they ruling the world with us

So because you can't be bothered to read, or because you don't know you automatically jump to ALIENS?

The one that is actually supported by science is that the our behaviour developed as things about us changed. Our ancestors started walking upright, started using basic tools, started using fire when it was available, eventually figured out how to make fire with sparks (probably by observing it over time, accidentally, etc.) Our vocal cords slowly developed to be able to generate words.

You have to understand that just ONE of those steps probably took 10s of thousands of years to come to be on it's own. We see this behavior in our fellow simians, but you have to understand that they have not yet developed the brains capable of doing the higher things yet. Give them another 200,000 years and they might. If they don't go instinct. Heck they might even develop that behavior faster if we go extinct in the time being.

There are other species that existed back when man first showed up that had the same potential we did, but they fell by the way side. We didn't. Not because of aliens, but because we just happened to follow the right evolutionary path. The path that lead us here. Our species learned to do things that saved it, probably just barely at times, to live on. Remember, by comparison to our cousins in nature, we are actually much weaker physically by default. We lost that physical advantage in favor of intelligence, more brain power.

Hmm did I say anywhere it was because of Aliens? No because I don't believe it was. I'm simply stating it's a POSSIBILITY, and there are enough things unexplained to warrant that. The burden of proof is not on me. But your rational of we just "happened" to follow the right path, irks me a little. There's such a massive amount of coincidences to have gotten us to the point we are now. If that doesn't make you scratch your head and ask "why" I don't know what to say. Just luck? It just happens? I'm sorry, not good enough. I guess being inquisitive is just my nature. I know how science hypothesizes our development, you missed the point, why did we "happen" to follow the path, why just us?

Cvalda

Quote from: Capovin on Apr 23, 2012, 04:28:28 AM
Hmm did I say anywhere it was because of Aliens? No because I don't believe it was. I'm simply stating it's a POSSIBILITY
It's also a possibility that I'm actually Ridley Scott, trollin' this board. Yup, definite possibility that should be seriously considered!

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 23, 2012, 04:34:08 AM
Quote from: Capovin on Apr 23, 2012, 04:28:28 AM
Hmm did I say anywhere it was because of Aliens? No because I don't believe it was. I'm simply stating it's a POSSIBILITY
It's also a possibility that I'm actually Ridley Scott, trollin' this board. Yup, definite possibility that should be seriously considered!

But ... we already know you aren't a real red head.

Cvalda

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Apr 23, 2012, 04:36:16 AM
But ... we already know you aren't a real red head.
Do you? Or do you merely know what I want you to think?

Spoiler
[close]

Bat Chain Puller

Then sign your own damn Alien script and move on the Cameron!  ;)

Cvalda

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Apr 23, 2012, 04:41:40 AM
All a clever ruse to gain the board's trust while I covertly market my latest moneymaker. And Cameron can bite the other end of my cigar.

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 23, 2012, 04:47:03 AM
Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Apr 23, 2012, 04:41:40 AM
All a clever ruse to gain the board's trust while I covertly market my latest moneymaker. And Cameron can bite the other end of my cigar.

http://a4.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/132/ce17a817068d4cbf9ea01ec01e0e45cb/l.jpg

Either way, red head or not, Ridley or Cvalda ...
Spoiler
My Body is ready.
Spoiler
So's my wallet.
[close]
[close]

Space Sweeper

Spoiler
Just for the record, I always thought she was Winona Ryder trolling the boards.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed