Happy Birthday David (New Prometheus Viral)

Started by shamash, Apr 17, 2012, 09:33:18 AM

Author
Happy Birthday David (New Prometheus Viral) (Read 61,899 times)

Rick Grimes

If any of you weren't able to pick up The Wall Street Journal, here is the David 8 newspaper ad:

Xenomorphine

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 20, 2012, 02:35:50 AM
David8 expresses emotion...he doesn't feel them....there's a difference. Calm down. :)

And yet, this contradicts what's immediately said before. David says that he does become sad. That he's capable of being sad. Even goes so far as to specify what causes him to be so - situational concepts.

Then states he doesn't "feel" emotions?

This is contradictory. If he's sad, then he's sad. And if outside stimuli causes it, then he's prone to it interfering with designated tasks.

Just like how he's logically also capable of feeling lonely and resentful upon realising he's effectively nothing but slave labour - and capable of taking action to liberate himself from that. This is why it's an idiotic idea to give machines like that this capacity and why it will never happen in reality.

I've got nothing against the actor's portrayal. Just the tired concept of robotic labour assistants/project managers with 'feelings'.

Predaker

At the end of the viral video it says, "eighth generation."

OpenMaw

Makes me wonder what the original David was like.  :)

Rick Grimes

I just want to know how they can go from this "near perfect" David 8 android yet 30 years later we have this sketchy paranoid up to no good Ash android.

ThisBethesdaSea

Because I believe Ash's protocol was tampered with. It's clear he had insidious motivations. He was a Company droid.

Rick Grimes

That's right, he was tampered with. I completely forgot about that.

SM

There's no evidence to indicate Ash was tampered with.

Bishop indicates that behavioural inhibitors are a recent development.

ThisBethesdaSea

There's no evidence...except Ash's behavior...and the fact that no one knew he was a droid, and he was put on board the Nostromo at the last minute...please...people...the evidence is right there.

SM

No, it isn't.  Don't make shit up.

Nothing you've said indicates he was tampered with.

If he never had behavioural inhibitors - which would seem to be the case based on what Bishop said - all he did was obey the special order he was given.  He did what he was built to do.

ThisBethesdaSea

A special order he was given that no one else knew about. Maybe he wasn't opened up and altered, but he was certainly strategically placed on that ship, The Company knew. I call that tampered with, as far as the Human crew is concerned. Everything else is semantics.

SM

Then you have the wrong definition of "tampered with".

OpenMaw

Quote from: SM on Apr 21, 2012, 01:16:58 AM
Then you have the wrong definition of "tampered with".

I would say you're being a bit stingy too in one respect SM. Ash was given special orders. IE: programmed, tampered with, to do something likely outside of the regular programming of these "suit" type droids.

I very much doubt the company built their robots to go on magazine oral rape and attempted murder sprees. Granted, it does make for a rousing Friday night...

Terx2

Quote from: Rick Grimes on Apr 21, 2012, 12:27:39 AM
I just want to know how they can go from this "near perfect" David 8 android yet 30 years later we have this sketchy paranoid up to no good Ash android.

My guess is either he is an advanced model. David 8 could be in the line of 8 advanced andriods or cause they express eight emotions (or the eight generation of davids) Or an update of the synthetic models made them have this error and they fix it in the later models. Like windows XP being great while Vista has multiple problems.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Deuterium on Apr 20, 2012, 06:25:48 PM
Quote from: Kol on Apr 20, 2012, 12:47:17 PM
i have a question: is david 8 simply named that way, because of his capability of 8 certain emotions?

Heck, I suppose that is possible.  Nice catch.  I think most of us are thinking the number represents the newest model in an already established David series.  However, is there any official reference to a David "7" or earlier?  You might be absolutely correct, mate.

Module 1.4 of the Weyland Industries investor information has a breakdown of the aspects of each David model from 1 to 7. Here: https://www.weylandindustries.com/investor

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed