Prometheus: Alien Universe or Mass Effect Universe

Started by Omega1, Apr 14, 2012, 09:04:40 AM

Author
Prometheus: Alien Universe or Mass Effect Universe (Read 27,093 times)

Omega1

Omega1

Well ever since the first technology shots of Prometheus were released to the public I instantly recognised the style, but not in the way I had hoped. Instead of looking like the "Alien" universe, Prometheus (movie) is now looking an awful lot like the "Mass Effect" Universe (and yes I know they are both set within an Earth based universe reality-wise, but thematically they each have very different styles).

I just am not getting the "Alien" vibe, instead I am seeing what looks like a prequel to Mass Effect, here's what I mean:

I never really cared for "Mass Effect", but that isn't the point, I am just disappointed in the fact I am not really seeing the "Alien" universe in what has been shown in Prometheus (which is quite clear supposed to be set in the "Alien" universe)...

Perhaps most of you won't/don't see the resemblance, but I thought it would be amusing to see what other people have to say on the subject, especially from people who perhaps care about the ''Alien'' franchise.

Kol

as i never understood the similarity some people see between shaw & shephard i have to say, that th vehicles & their interior are very mass effect like.
the questoion only is: on purpose?

wmmvrrvrrmm

I admit the colour schemes of the vehicles are similar to Mass Effect

escroto

I hadn't even realized about this before tbh, maybe because I don't like/play Mass Effect, but the OP still seems to be right here...

Bulls Eye man

NGR01

Save for the color scheme of some elements PROMETHEUS does look like an ALIEN movie to me.
Vehicules have an industrial look to them.
Same goes for the gear.
Remove the colors and you get sleeker, cleaner ALIEN like design thats all.

MASS EFFECT has a STAR WARS EP1, FLASH GORDON vibe to me.
Much more sleeker than PROMETHEUS.

Nightmare Asylum

There are a lot of Alien inspired designs too, its just that they are taking a more sleek/stylized approach.

The transport looks a lot like the APC from Aliens.

And the interior shots of Prometheus, while obviously updated, look very reminiscent of those of the Nostromo.

NGR01

NGR01

They are updated versions of Ron Cobb's original designs for ALIEN (wich already included flat screens, holo display and huds).

Remove the shiny colors you get Ron Cobb looking designs.
It reminds me when some said that AVATAR looked like HALO...
Where do you think HALO and countless others got the inspiration from? LOL

Btw that MASS EFFECT ship is just the 2001 shuttle with added thrusters...

mastermoon

The Alien Universe has been around way longer then Mass Effect.

NGR01

Quote from: mastermoon on Apr 14, 2012, 01:53:05 PM

Agreed but it doesnt mean that all scifi designs comes from it.
Mass effect designs are pretty good, and would work flawlessly in a movie but they remind me more of Syd Mead than Ron Cobb. Also now a lot of concept artist from video games work in movies so i don't get the whole dissing of video games design work. Either Daniel Simons or Ben procter designed the Prometheus and he does look very inconic.
I'm just not fan of the colors scheme.

Valaquen

I think it's a case of Alien, Mead and Cobb influencing video game designers, and people not quite realising it.

Omega1

Omega1

Quote from: mastermoon on Apr 14, 2012, 01:53:05 PM

That fact is quite obvious for anyone with half a brain, but instead of looking like tech from the "Alien" universe (which is vastly different from the style used in Mass Effect universe) it ends up looking like something from a completely different stylistic background.

Quote from: Valaquen on Apr 14, 2012, 02:17:56 PM
I think it's a case of Alien, Mead and Cobb influencing video game designers, and people not quite realising it.

I know a lot of designers and artists (myself included) have been inspired by movies such as "Alien" and "Aliens", but the style used in Mass Effect is completely different than the style used in the "Alien/Aliens" universe. It is one thing to state you have been inspired by certain designs, but it is another to actually show it. Fact is the design style of the Mass Effect universe is very different to that of Alien/Aliens, hence my point Prometheus looking like a Mass Effect prequel than an Alien prequel. If indeed the designs were so similar to each others universe, there wouldn't be such a stand out of comparison.

mastermoon

Quote from: Valaquen on Apr 14, 2012, 02:17:56 PM

It's very common for video games to borrow Ideas from movies.

NGR01

NGR01

Save for that color scheme I dont see any design similiraty between the Prometheus vehicules and those from Mass Effect. The Prometheus is Ron Cobb like and the RT01 is a futuristic version of our Stryker APC (the RT01 was probably build upon a Stryker chassis).

Just a bit darker and its less sleak and flashy and works fine in the ALIEN universe (i still don't like that pointy nose tho)

LarsVader

On a related note...

OWLF

OWLF

The spacesuits are definitely Mass Effect inspired.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed