New official cross section picture of prometheus ship

Started by Wobblyboddle77, Apr 11, 2012, 11:59:58 PM

Author
New official cross section picture of prometheus ship (Read 46,340 times)

RagingDragon

I think the lifeboats around the engines seem like a bad idea. :-\  On a real ship, the likelihood of having to ditch the boat because of engine trouble is quite high; what if the ion-nuclear-plasma shits are on fire?  Gonna wanna go walking around right next to them to get to the lifeboats?

Seems silly to me, but I'm not an Aerospace Engineer.

But as for the rest, looks freaking awesome.  I hope they talk about the details of the ship in the film.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 12, 2012, 01:32:09 AM
Kind of reminds me of Serenity on steroids :D

I agree with you, NA. :laugh:  A pretty close match, I think.

escroto

Quote from: Valaquen on Apr 12, 2012, 12:05:27 PM
Quote from: escroto on Apr 12, 2012, 11:50:59 AM
The Prometheus ship is obviously a pretty cool design, but what I don't understand is why It has to look at lot more advanced (or modern) than the Nostromo, taking into account this is happening many years before the events in "Alien". The cryotubes and everything look also a lot more advanced than what we saw in aliens, with holograms and stuff like that, the space suits, the drones they use in the jockey temple, etc.
Because the Nostromo is a tub, a leaky, Soviet-esque space sub. Prometheus is state of the art. New.
yeah but the tech, used, for example for the cryotubes should look way more advanced in the Nostromo, as well as the space suits, and that's not the case. Nostromo cryotubes didn't have a pretty HUD and things like that If I remember correctly.

Not even the front part of the Nostromo (the actual ship) looks more advanced than the Prometheus.

RagingDragon

Quote from: escroto on Apr 12, 2012, 03:25:56 PM
The Prometheus ship is obviously a pretty cool design, but what I don't understand is why It has to look at lot more advanced (or modern) than the Nostromo, taking into account this is happening many years before the events in "Alien". The cryotubes and everything look also a lot more advanced than what we saw in aliens, with holograms and stuff like that, the space suits, the drones they use in the jockey temple, etc.
Because the Nostromo is a tub, a leaky, Soviet-esque space sub. Prometheus is state of the art. New.
yeah but the tech, used, for example for the cryotubes should look way more advanced in the Nostromo, as well as the space suits, and that's not the case. Nostromo cryotubes didn't have a pretty HUD and things like that If I remember correctly.

Not even the front part of the Nostromo (the actual ship) looks more advanced than the Prometheus.

Oh I know this one.

That's because Alien was made in 1979, and Prometheus is being made today.

mastermoon

Thats very cool to see a new picture of the ship.

RoaryUK

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Apr 12, 2012, 02:31:35 PM
Uh, no...The Sulaco was the USS Sulaco.  The Sulaco was a military vessel, while the Prometheus and Nostromo were company ships.

I don't know, however, how this fares with the modern conventions.

I think so too by the way...was just sayin' "what if"  :)

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: escroto on Apr 12, 2012, 03:25:56 PM

In Alien the crew were greasy truckers in space, their equipment was grubby and run down. The Prometheus is a sciencetific exploration vessel which would have state of the art technology because it has the money behind it. Bish bash and bosh.

RoaryUK

I also like the Prometheus design, however (apologies if this was already brought up) but why is this thread labelled a "cross section" about something which clearly isn't?  :)

Glaive

On EVERY picture/vid of the ship, I look to find its name...I imagine it's near the forward nacelle, which houses the navigation housing...will it say 'Prometheus' or 'Magellan' in the impact with the'"derelict"'?

Xenomrph

Quote from: bioweapon on Apr 12, 2012, 05:14:27 AM
whats a cross section??

dont know if this was Cameron production or fanmade or toy company. I like it more, it looks more profesional. prometheus looks more like a toy. I mean is a 3d presentation, but then again Sulaco ship was a tangible model.

Holy shit that's cool, I had no idea the same guy had done a Sulaco one.

Eva

To me it's pretty self explanatory

Prometheus

Nostromo

Sulaco

Love the designs I've seen sofar from Prometheus - all of them  :)

chrisr232007

Quote from: Eva on Apr 12, 2012, 08:18:25 PM
To me it's pretty self explanatory

Prometheus
http://www.fona.de/mediathek/foto/B_5_4_1_Schiffe_teaser.jpg

Nostromo
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1234/1029847825_a5c83e0d66.jpg

Sulaco

Love the designs I've seen sofar from Prometheus - all of them  :)

That is how I see it as well.

chupacabras acheronsis

the Sulaco is an LCS? dear lord...

MrSpaceJockey

I don't know how accurate this is, but I personally factor in the fact that the USCSS Prometheus was Weyland's pet project that the corporation has been working on for years. 
The Nostromo is a product of a point in time where space is completely commercialized - cheap or old spaceships are thrown out solely to bring back profit. 

They don't want to put in all the latest gadgets, especially on a ship where it's unnecessary.  For example, the holograms look like they are on the cryotubes so that an external presence - David - can monitor the crew's progress and status.  By the time ALIEN comes around, the ship is able to do this all by itself (note how the crew of the Nostromo don't seem to have as dramatic side effects as the crew of the Prometheus).  At that point, Weyland-Yutani ships don't need an android wandering around the ship to check up on things, so the screens on the cryotubes become extraneous and are thus removed.

Deuterium

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 12, 2012, 05:41:04 PM
whats a cross section??

dont know if this was Cameron production or fanmade or toy company. I like it more, it looks more profesional. prometheus looks more like a toy. I mean is a 3d presentation, but then again Sulaco ship was a tangible model.

Couldn't see the fine details in the image, but the Sulaco drawing does not appear to be a cross-sectional drawing.  It looks like a standard elevation / othographic view, showing the right, left, top, bottom, front and back exterior views.  A cross-section (obviously) shows interior detail, by cutting through the object with a imaginary plane.

Can anyone confirm if the graphical model of the Prometheus ship is "official', including the identifying notes?  Because, if it is official, they should have left the description of the engines completely vague.  "Nucleur Ion Propulsion" is not going to get anyone anywhere fast (high specific impulse but very low thrust), and certainly would NEVER work in launch or landing of a massive vehicle on a planet / moon with an appreciable gravitational field.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Deuterium on Apr 12, 2012, 10:46:17 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 12, 2012, 05:41:04 PM
whats a cross section??

Couldn't see the fine details in the image, but the Sulaco drawing does not appear to be a cross-sectional drawing.  It looks like a standard elevation / othographic view, showing the right, left, top, bottom, front and back exterior views.  A cross-section (obviously) shows interior detail, by cutting through the object with a imaginary plane.

Can anyone confirm if the graphical model of the Prometheus ship is "official', including the identifying notes?  Because, if it is official, they should have left the description of the engines completely vague.  "Nucleur Ion Propulsion" is not going to get anyone anywhere fast (high specific impulse but very low thrust), and certainly would NEVER work in launch or landing of a massive vehicle on a planet / moon with an appreciable gravitational field.

Even if they make use of a subspace field in tandum with a quantum flux inverter?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed