LV-426?

Started by arachnophilia, Mar 20, 2012, 12:07:03 AM

Author
LV-426? (Read 34,685 times)

zuzuki

zuzuki

How about the classic explanation for: THESE ARE DIFFERENT SHIPS?
The ship in ALIEN had different walls in the jockey room,different design. The platform on wich the space jockey sits is also different than the one in PROMETHEUS.
Oh and lindelof said this wasn't lv-426. I don't understand why this things keep being debated

Quote from: Hudson on Mar 20, 2012, 01:06:50 AM
Ridley Scott just made an announcement that this movie takes place on LV-425!  :o

Link please

Space7Horror

Space7Horror

I think it should be on lv-426 so we can connect the alien and Prometheus isn't that what we want because why have aliens if it doesn't connect with alien

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Queen7 on Mar 20, 2012, 01:13:06 AM
I think it should be on lv-426 so we can connect the alien and Prometheus isn't that what we want because why have aliens if it doesn't connect with alien
Topics merged.

Search before posting new threads.

Hudson

Hudson

I think that's probably the first question that was asked when it was announced this wasn't actually going to be "an Alien movie" per say. No one is saying this doesn't connect with Alien; it does. It obviously is just much much much more ambitious and is addressing bigger themes than Alien did in 1979.

Space7Horror

Space7Horror

Quote from: Hudson on Mar 20, 2012, 01:16:22 AM

I think that's probably the first question that was asked when it was announced this wasn't actually going to be "an Alien movie" per say. No one is saying this doesn't connect with Alien; it does. It obviously is just much much much more ambitious and is addressing bigger themes than Alien did in 1979.

Yes but then why would weyland industries know to send the nostromo to lv-426 if they only knew about the jockey ship on whatever planet it's going to be on

arachnophilia

arachnophilia

Quote from: Face Jockey on Mar 20, 2012, 12:47:30 AMIn the Prometheus trailers we see both the Jockey ship AND Prometheus crashing, but as somebody pointed out here, on LV-426 in Alien there is no sign of the wreckage of Prometheus.  Also there is no sign of many of the other things shown in the trailer such as the pyramid (with other Jockey suits), the area where the ground opened up that we see the Jockey ship both launching from and then crash-landing nearby.

agreed. notably, however, there was supposed to be a pyramid in the original alien. i think the similarity here is more likely a sign of ridley scott recycling an unused idea than anything else.

Quote from: Face Jockey on Mar 20, 2012, 12:47:30 AMThere's no reason why it couldn't be a different Jockey ship, and we probably will be left to guess why the original one in Alien was where it is and that one could have been there for centuries.

from a movie-making perspective, especially after all the talk, i just can't see ridley scott ham-fistedly setting up the original movie. it's boring, contrived, and we all know where it's going. it spoils some of alien as well. it doesn't seem like his style, and he's spoken against it a few times, i think. he's also said that if a sequel were made, it wouldn't be alien.

Quote from: Face Jockey on Mar 20, 2012, 12:47:30 AMThe Weyland timeline does seem to make it clear that they are either elsewhere on LV-426 specifically, or a nearby moon. It's possible the original discovery of LV-426 was related to the beacon from the original derelict, but at a different coordinate or even different moon than Prometheus visits.

i think they threw it in for shits and giggles. and it's promotional material, not canon. they misspelled "acheron" for godsakes. and "acheron" isn't even the canon name of the moon, either. it was the name the colonists dubbed it, in the novelization of aliens by alan dean foster. it wouldn't have been called that prior to the colonists arriving -- all the company people, even in the book, call it "LV-426". to my knowledge, it doesn't appear in the movies at all.

Quote from: SM on Mar 20, 2012, 12:50:57 AMI'm not keeping up on the endless and ultimately fruitless speculation, but has the constellation been identified?

no, but that's my hope. if it's in a different system entirely, we can probably rule out LV-426. unless the people making the movie really, really screwed up.

Quote from: SM on Mar 20, 2012, 12:50:57 AMAt a quick glance it looks like part of Ursa Major with the dude pointing to Dubhe (aka Alpha Ursae Majoris).  It's visible in northern and southern hemispheres so would correllate with it being present n a bunch of different civilisations world wide.  However it is a binary system, and I can't recall seeing more than one sun in the trailers.

i agree, that looks like a good candidate. the pictograms match up pretty closely (beta is out of place), but chi and beta both seem to move between the pictograms and the actual star chart, in the trailer. which is odd.

Sgt. Apone

Sgt. Apone

Plus the different terrain. The plane tin Prometheus is smooth and seems to have a completely different atmosphere to LV-426. Not to mention Lv-426 is completely cloudy and dark while this new planet has clear skies. Here's some compariosns.

However, it is possible that it's another moon orbiting the gas giant. There were two others.

The ships also look different.

Also, I'd like to know how the Urns somehow turn into eggs by the time of alien. Surely the Nostromo crew would have found urns as well.

Eva

Eva

Ridley Scott just made an announcement that this movie takes place on LV-425!  :o

:laugh:

Hey Hudson - have you ever been mistaken for a man?

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

The planet you circled cannot be LV since its seen on the sky from LV's ground. LV is actually behind the giant from what Ive heard, unseen in the movie

Hudson

Hudson

Isn't "Gas Giant" Zeta 2 Reticuli?

Also, those pictures could be on the same planet. One in daytime one at nighttime?

Space7Horror

Space7Horror

Quote from: Sgt. Apone on Mar 20, 2012, 01:20:42 AM
Plus the different terrain. The plane tin Prometheus is smooth and seems to have a completely different atmosphere to LV-426. Not to mention Lv-426 is completely cloudy and dark while this new planet has clear skies. Here's some compariosns.

However, it is possible that it's another moon orbiting the gas giant. There were two others.

The ships also look different.

Also, I'd like to know how the Urns somehow turn into eggs by the time of alien. Surely the Nostromo crew would have found urns as well.

Maybe something drastic happens to the planet maybe the movie goes on after the crash and why would the urns turn into eggs that doesn't work

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Hudson on Mar 20, 2012, 01:23:05 AM

Also, those pictures could be on the same planet. One in daytime one at nighttime?

The ships structure is different.

Zeta 2 Reticuli is the name of the star that the gas giant orbits.

EEV-2501

EEV-2501

Quote from: Eva on Mar 20, 2012, 01:21:46 AM

:laugh:

Hey Hudson - have you ever been mistaken for a man?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 20, 2012, 01:26:29 AM
Quote from: Hudson on Mar 20, 2012, 01:23:05 AM

The ships structure is different.

Zeta 2 Reticuli is the name of the star that the gas giant orbits.

D'oh! Just read that on another site.

Also, how could LV-426 be behind that large planet? It would've taken them hours to get to the other side of it in Alien!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed