Why would there even be a 'crusher'?

Started by Sully, Mar 17, 2012, 04:00:34 PM

Author
Why would there even be a 'crusher'? (Read 12,682 times)

Xenomrph

I'm the sort of gamer who can still fire up Wolf3D and play it for hours and have a good time, so new games not being absolutely revolutionary really isn't a big deal for me.

Hudson

It was FUN to play as the Aliens and Predators in the first two PC games. It was annoying in the new one. The human AI is absolutely terrible. They repeat the same phrases every thirty seconds, when you kill someone nobody notices their friend is gone, no one hears anything. Yet somehow from 200 yards away you can be spotted in complete shadows...as an Alien or cloaked as a Predator.

It's not a next generation experience at all. No ground breaking in the least bit.

RagingDragon

You're missing the point.

Sure, you can find something good about the worst game ever made.

But games can, and should, and are, compared to other games like them.  Compared to every other shooter on the market, or even released in the same year, AvP2010 was sadly lacking.  You couldn't even duck or aim down your sights, for pete's sake.  It's this lack of things that hurts the entire game.  Some parts were great, I admit, especially the opening Alien level, but it just didn't have enough to compete.

Even compared to older AvP games, which should've been an easy challenge, AvP2010 fails in every department besides graphics.

How do you get a newer game with better technology doing worse than the older games that were extremely limited by comparison?

You have a crappy product, like AvP.

A lot of people still like it, and I play it once in awhile, but this by no means makes the product any less crappy than it objectively is, by a comparison basis.

I'm not saying you shouldn't enjoy it if it's your thing, but there is a standard.

Predaker

Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 22, 2012, 06:43:49 PM
You're missing the point.

Sure, you can find something good about the worst game ever made.

But games can, and should, and are, compared to other games like them.  Compared to every other shooter on the market, or even released in the same year, AvP2010 was sadly lacking.  You couldn't even duck or aim down your sights, for pete's sake.  It's this lack of things that hurts the entire game.  Some parts were great, I admit, especially the opening Alien level, but it just didn't have enough to compete.

Even compared to older AvP games, which should've been an easy challenge, AvP2010 fails in every department besides graphics.

How do you get a newer game with better technology doing worse than the older games that were extremely limited by comparison?

You have a crappy product, like AvP.

A lot of people still like it, and I play it once in awhile, but this by no means makes the product any less crappy than it objectively is, by a comparison basis.

I'm not saying you shouldn't enjoy it if it's your thing, but there is a standard.

AvP2010 is discounted now... (ps3) very affordable. I'm still not going to buy the game, no matter how big a fan I am of AvP. They basically abandoned the consoles. The product is sub-par. Now we have a new aliens game coming this year and the crusher gets to be the big bad scary monster?

Names that didn't make the final cut:
The Smasher
Me crush, you die!
El Toro
Crazy Train
Teenage Mutant Ninja Crusher
:laugh:

Xenomrph

Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 22, 2012, 06:43:49 PM
Opinions are subjective. The game isn't "objectively" anything.

QuoteEven compared to older AvP games, which should've been an easy challenge, AvP2010 fails in every department besides graphics.
Gonna disagree there - I found the gameplay easily superior to AvP2. The Alien AI was definitely smarter than either of the prior games. The inclusion of a "survival" mode (as well as a bunch of different multiplayer modes) was great. The three species handled very differently, and the Predator's handling was especially a big step up from the prior games (where he basically played like a stock FPS character with heavier weapons and different vision modes). Being able to jump around the terrain was great and went a LONG way towards selling the Predator "experience", along with the melee-centric combat system for the Predator that had blocks and counters.

RagingDragon

The game isn't made of opinions.  Do you propose the same "opinions trump everything in existence" bullshit for every topic?  It's sad.

The Predator gameplay was great, and the game would've excelled if they called it "Predator Kicks Ass."

On all other counts, you're just totally wrong. :laugh:

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

No, and the sooner you realize that opinions and facts are different things, the better you'll get along with people. :D

You can say that a game has or lacks certain features, and those are facts, but then when you start saying "...and therefore it's a bad game" is when you get into opinion territory, and opinions are subjective. Those features (or lack thereof) might be a dealbreaker for you, but that doesn't mean they were for everyone and that the game is "objectively bad". It's an opinion.

You said the game was worse than the prior games on all points except graphics, and then you just admitted that the Predator gameplay was great. Which is it?

Also I wasn't "totally wrong" about anything. :)

RagingDragon

Wrong, bro.

Xenomrph

So when you don't agree with someone you just say "no you're wrong" and treat it as indisputable fact even when it's an opinion? And don't even bother to articulate it or anything? Buh-wha? :D

Spoiler alert: that's not good form and it tends to piss people off. People have different opinions and they aren't automatically "wrong" just because they're different from yours.

ikarop

You have other threads for discussing AvP guys. Let's try to stay on topic.

Ash 937

Why would there even be xenomorphs?

chupacabras acheronsis

because predator: colonial marines doesnt sound as good.

Xenomrph

Actually if implemented right I could see that being pretty fun.

chupacabras acheronsis

the point is lost now.

Xenomrph

No I got your point, I'm just saying a Colonial Marine game that didn't actually have Aliens in it might be pretty neat and offer up some cool opportunities to "flesh out" the universe without focusing on Aliens.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed