Why would there even be a 'crusher'?

Started by Sully, Mar 17, 2012, 04:00:34 PM

Author
Why would there even be a 'crusher'? (Read 12,681 times)

Hudson

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 23, 2012, 06:23:00 PM
No I got your point, I'm just saying a Colonial Marine game that didn't actually have Aliens in it might be pretty neat and offer up some cool opportunities to "flesh out" the universe without focusing on Aliens.

That was kind of done in the first few levels of playing as the Predator in AvP and AvP 2...

EDIT:

And you think it would be fun to play as a Colonial Marine against Predators all day? All they do is stay invisible until they kill you; it's why they're always boss fights. That game would either be terribly boring or just startling the whole time.

Xenomrph

Well I don't just mean against Predators, I mean playing against things that aren't only Aliens.

Shit, maybe not even extraterrestrial. Before the Marines were shooting it out with xenomorphs they did shoot it out with other hostile humans from time to time.

Chris!(($$))!

A Predator wouldn't stand a chance against the Marine's weaponry. They are shown resisting 90s era weapons in the movies. Not 2170s era weapons.

Hudson

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 24, 2012, 02:13:09 AM
Well I don't just mean against Predators, I mean playing against things that aren't only Aliens.

Shit, maybe not even extraterrestrial. Before the Marines were shooting it out with xenomorphs they did shoot it out with other hostile humans from time to time.

There are a lot of big sounding battles referenced in the CMTM...

Xenomrph

Quote from: Chris!(($$))! on Mar 25, 2012, 01:58:58 AM
A Predator wouldn't stand a chance against the Marine's weaponry. They are shown resisting 90s era weapons in the movies. Not 2170s era weapons.
I dunno, Predators do alright in the AvP games.

chupacabras acheronsis

balance measures, xeno. aliens wouldn't stand 6 seconds of continuous pulse rifle fire, but they do. marines wouldn't survive a grenade explosion right next to them or a tail stab through the neck, but they do.

and a 7.62 from Mac's pig did the Predator a hole right through the leg(hit from the back, extracted from the front). and those fragment like a motherf**ker. i doubt an explosive machinegun round would even leave a leg.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

You're assuming they hit the Predator. Mac hit the Predator by accident, he didn't even know what he was shooting at.

And I'm not just talking multiplayer, the singleplayer Predators do pretty welll in their campaigns against many enemies. Even the enemy Predators in the singleplayer campaigns take a LOT of punishment before they go out.

The big thing in 'Predator' was that no matter what gear the humans had, it wasn't terribly effective. What mattered was that Arnold outsmarted the Predator and beat it at its own game. Having high-tech gear doesn't really matter if the Predator can outsmart it. Arnold took down a Predator by using mud, a home-made bow and arrow, and a big log. He didn't do it because those implements are inherently good, he did it because he was able to outsmart the Predator and then use them effectively.
It's why the player-character Predators in the AvP games can take down Marines armed with high-tech weapons, as well.

chupacabras acheronsis

i'm talking strictly about physical resistance, if the predator had been hit by Ol' Painless or that Barrett rifle one of the scorpios had, it wouldn't have walked it off either.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Well we don't really know that. The Predator in P2 "walked off" like 8 point-blank shotgun blasts to the chest.

Hell, the Berserker Pred in 'Predators' took a high-powered sniper rifle shot right through the torso and it didn't kill him outright. Stunned him enough to get decapitated by Royce, but it wasn't the shot that killed him.

chupacabras acheronsis

buckshot isn't exactly the best choice for hard targets, the blasts tore his skin, but the balls obviously didn't go deep enough to damage him seriously. Harrigan should have brought slugs for that. it did sent him into cardiac arrest/shock, but the fact that he ran through a wall shortly after says that Pussyface wasn't quite done for yet.

high caliber rifle rounds are a different story, they are heavy and travel rather fast. .50 is used to shoot down helicopters and chew through brickwalls and layers of armor. it turns people into spaggetti, i doubt a predator could survive the shock from a direct impact, let alone the catastrophic damage. a 7.62 isn't a joke either, those tend to pulverize bones and the fragments keep cutting like little razors once inside the flesh.

Xenomrph

Well sure, .50cal antimaterial rounds are used to pierce tank armor. I'm not saying the Predator is bulletproof or invincible, just that they can take a lot of punishment. Couple that with their intelligence and I imagine they'd give Colonial Marines a run for their money (this is supported by every AvP video game and several comics).

chupacabras acheronsis

i am not questioning that, but judging by the effect the marines AP ammo had on the xenos, i predict a predator that gets caught and shot by colonial marines is dimensionally f**ked.

as you put it, tactics and skill are everything for a predator. you'd think that invisibility and energy weapons are overkill but we're very capable of killing one with our modern weapons if they let themselves killed. i don't believe it would be different in a hundred years, which is a good thing, because i am frankly offended that humans are only thought of as xenomorph breeders lately.

Chris!(($$))!

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 25, 2012, 08:47:27 PM
(this is supported by every AvP video game and several comics).

NOT one of the AvP games or comics take into account that the Predators have only been up against "modern" day weapons in canon. Like wise in AvPR the National Guards' weapons shouldn't have done SHIT against the Xenos.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Chris!(($$))! on Mar 26, 2012, 01:19:48 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 25, 2012, 08:47:27 PM
(this is supported by every AvP video game and several comics).

NOT one of the AvP games or comics take into account that the Predators have only been up against "modern" day weapons in canon. Like wise in AvPR the National Guards' weapons shouldn't have done SHIT against the Xenos.
Why? Vasquez shot an Alien in the side of the head with a real-world 9mm pistol and hurt it pretty bad. Humans using 5.56 rifle rounds like those being fired from the assault rifles used in AvPR should have done plenty of damage.

Keep in mind the Pulse Rifle was firing essentially pistol rounds (that's what SMGs fire, and despite the name the pulse rifle is an SMG), 10x24mm caseless rounds. Maybe they were being propelled by some kind of future-propellant, though.

Modern-day weapons are pretty damn effective - there's even an ongoing thread right now talking about how the firearms in 'Aliens' aren't that advanced by current standards.
And for those who consider the EU to be canon, then yes the Predators have been up against USCM weapons - it happens in the games and comics. :P

chupacabras acheronsis

the pistols barely hurt them. knocked some teeth out, tore face tendons and lips, but it wasnt hurting more that you would. at point blank.

on the other hand, the M41 was chambered iin the same caliber and exploded them.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed