The AVP vs. Prometheus Canon Debate, and all canon debates really

Started by Peakius Baragonius, Mar 01, 2012, 09:44:32 PM

Will fans ever make peace?

No, whoever wins, we lose
21 (46.7%)
Yes! I was totally wrong about Alien/Aliens/Alien3/Predator 2/AVP/Predators being a bad film!
4 (8.9%)
Perhaps someday
7 (15.6%)
Forget this poll, enough with the god-forsaken canon rant threads already!!! :-)
22 (48.9%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author
The AVP vs. Prometheus Canon Debate, and all canon debates really (Read 35,506 times)

stephen

Quote from: KingAngel ofthe Outergulf on Mar 18, 2012, 06:40:45 PM

Lets hope not otherwise "Aliens" goes bye bye since it has the most contradictions of all the movies including within its own continuity let alone the whole saga.

Such as?

Quote from: KingAngel ofthe Outergulf on Mar 18, 2012, 06:40:45 PM
Viral videos are NOT CANON.  I have never seen a viral video show anything that was relevant to the actual movie, Terminator 4 viral videos is a good example of why viral videos are not canon.  Or the Thing preq viral videos.

Perhaps in the terminator franchise they aren't - but that doesn't mean that they aren't in the alien franchise.

Besides - what if the fox said they were canon?

KingAngel ofthe Outergulf

Quote from: Sgt. Apone on Mar 18, 2012, 10:12:47 PM
Well, explain why the alien is dangerous even though it made mistakes.

com pm>

stephen

Quote from: KingAngel ofthe Outergulf on Mar 18, 2012, 10:41:59 PM

Do you have prof he wrote those scripts.

Look at the credits.

SM

Quote from: stephen on Mar 18, 2012, 10:47:41 PM
Quote from: KingAngel ofthe Outergulf on Mar 18, 2012, 10:41:59 PM

Do you have prof he wrote those scripts.

Look at the credits.

:laugh:
Indeed.

If someone makes a claim, then they should provide proof.

Xenomrph

QuoteNo it is not.
Prove it. :)

QuoteYup it was closed because 1) you made one to many personal insults, 2) Ignored facts
Actually you were the one who was making insults, that's likely why it got closed. If you don't believe me I imagine it wouldn't be difficult to get a mod or two in here to clarify it.

QuoteDo you have prof he wrote those scripts.
His name is at the top of them.

SM

He's almost disowned the film, but never denied writing it.  Quite the contrary.

predxeno

Does anyone notice that the weylandindustries.com timeline almost goes out of the way to not contradict the AVP films?

Xenomrph

I did, yeah.

I also noticed it had stuff happen on October 1st, 2004, a mere 9 days before the events of 'AvP'. When picking random dates for stuff to happen, they sure came close to picking a date for AvP. :P

predxeno

Yeah, and the mention of Weyland Industries winning a patent against the Yutani Corporation happened only 1 year before the 2 companies merged in Predator Concrete Jungle.

Xenomrph

Well evidently they're not merged as of 'Prometheus', but that's not too hard to explain. Maybe the merger deal hinted at in "Concrete Jungle" fell through and never actually happened, or perhaps they split off only to re-merge again later (like what happened with AT&T).

HybridNewborn

As was pointed out by Xenomrph in a different topic, the Timeline that has been posted on the Weyland Industries page doesn't actually state when the company was founded, and while Peter is referred to as the founder elsewhere it is a bit more unclear in the Timeline.

The Timeline does in fact, upon further inspection, seem to be going out of its way to accommodate the other films, and some of the games, even in subtle ways.

The penal colonies from Alien 3.
The Marines, Power Loaders, the Holographic Jungle thingy Ripley was sitting in, Archeron (yes I spelled that correctly, go check the site) being the name of LV-426, and more from Aliens.
Yutani Corporation is first (and only) mentioned at 2029, which is one year before Predator Concrete Jungle, in which they begin talks of some sort of partnership with Weyland Industries.
The date of AvP is in the timeline, given as the date of Peter's twelfth patent, which is not otherwise significant unless you take the date into account.

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 18, 2012, 10:59:12 PM
Yeah, and the mention of Weyland Industries winning a patent against the Yutani Corporation happened only 1 year before the 2 companies merged in Predator Concrete Jungle.

They don't actually merge in CJ. Yutani proposes they begin looking into some form of partnership. This makes more sense given that they just lost the lawsuit the year before.

Vulhala

Vulhala

Ok guys, I've contacted most of you by PM by now regarding this little 'beef' that seems to exist. I've asked you to individually to drop it, and yet it continues. So, in the interest of clarity, I'm going to lock this thread, and leave it here to state exactly where I stand.

The next time a thread descends into an insult-fest between you, you will ALL be banned from posting for 7 days. If it continues following that, you will be banned permanently. Contrary to popular opinion, it's not something I do lightly, but you all have assured me this would stop and it hasn't.

EDIT: Just want to clarify that those concerned know who they are.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed