The near future...

Started by ChrisPachi, Mar 01, 2012, 05:16:49 AM

Author
The near future... (Read 5,536 times)

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

It is interesting to think about how soon the Alien future is set in real time. My daughter will still be alive when the Prometheus is set to depart (god-willing) and my grandchildren will be about when the Nostromo sets out from Thedus. If you think about it this way the Weyland speech we have just seen suggests a pivotal moment in human history, something that propels human kind from where we are now into a science fiction type future. Any thoughts on how Peter Weyland might "change the world"? FTL? Bio-engineering?

My own hunch is that it is FTL travel, allowing Weyland Corp to either populate or at least mine distant planets for resources. You can then think of the events of the new film as a prequel to the future portrayed in the original film (and its sequels), not as a prequel to the events of the original film (if that even makes sense).

-Chris

irving343

irving343

Hmm, FTL Travel seems unlikely, I think the breakthrough  that may change the world will be large scale interstellar travel itself.

SM

SM

Prolly them cybernetic individuals that are indistinguishable from humans,

Deuterium

Deuterium

Chris, don't forget that they could get to Zeta Reticuli system (39 light years) in 7 years ships time, assuming 1g acceleration to midpoint of voyage, and 1g deceleration the remainder, to destination.  Presumedly, they could hyper-sleep through most of the voyage.  Max. velocity attained based on these parameters would be 99.89% of c

Unfortunately, the total Earth-time elapsed would be 41 years.

The speed of light limit "c" is not just a good idea...it is the Law.  ;D

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: SM on Mar 01, 2012, 05:35:10 AMProlly them cybernetic individuals that are indistinguishable from humans,

Ah, but he says in the speech that they already exist.

Quote from: deuterium on Mar 01, 2012, 05:37:53 AMThe speed of light limit "c" is not just a good idea...it is the Law. ;D

Did you catch the mention of M Theory in the speech? Perhaps this is a hint that in the next 11 years scientists will have some major breakthrough in physics that, fictionally at least, allows for FTL?

I guess I am assuming the his closing remark is a foreshadow of him actually revealing something world changing, which may not be the case of course. It does however seem as though Prometheus will deal with the idea of human arrogance in the face of technology and the viral seems to suggest that it is attempting to bridge the gap between 'now' and 'then'.

-Chris

SM

SM

QuoteAh, but he says in the speech that they already exist.

Not quite yet they don't.

QuoteI guess I am assuming the his closing remark is a foreshadow of him actually revealing something world changing, which may not be the case of course.

The way he says it, it seems like the latter.  Like he's going to be doing lots of groundbreaking shit - not one specific thing.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: SM on Mar 01, 2012, 05:59:10 AMNot quite yet they don't.

You're right, I remembered it wrong. Good point.

-Chris

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

atlantis

atlantis

I think they must have travel much much faster then 7 years... cause i can't imagine that Ripley, promised her daughter to be back for her 11th birthday at the age of 4...

bioweapon

bioweapon

i like this thread.

Quote from: atlantis on Mar 01, 2012, 06:26:09 AM
I think they must have travel much much faster then 7 years... cause i can't imagine that Ripley, promised her daughter to be back for her 11th birthday at the age of 4...

it seems to me like just take a year for that nostromo travel to go and get back.

i love the concept of the movie, more "ideas" throw it to guess whats going on in this near future. something very Space Odissey. u know Ridley loves this when u see this approach in Prophets of Science Fiction documentary.

Ruzena

Ruzena

Quote from: SM on Mar 01, 2012, 05:35:10 AM
Prolly them cybernetic individuals that are indistinguishable from humans,

Two words: Justin Bieber

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: atlantis on Mar 01, 2012, 06:26:09 AM

Time dilation?

SM

SM

Time dilation is a non-issue in the Alien films.  It may however be at this earlier time period.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67fPHOYqD3w#

I wonder if we'll make it...

As far as Weyland's speech, a new energy source would be required. I found it odd how he places fusion and fission along with M-theory when both of those are mid 20th century discoveries. Of course in the aliens universe the atmospheric processor and Nostromo are powered by fusion reactors. So that's either a gross mistake or referencing a new method of nuclear energy in a contradictory way.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

The step towards non-time-dilating spacecraft capable of dragging city sized ore refineries across 50+ light years in a handful of months lies somewhere between 2023 (only 11 years away) and 2122. Prometheus lands pretty much right in the middle.

-Chris

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed