Official ALIEN Literature 2012 Reissues List (UPDATED w/ New Details!)

Started by Cvalda, Feb 14, 2012, 10:33:29 AM

Author
Official ALIEN Literature 2012 Reissues List (UPDATED w/ New Details!) (Read 55,032 times)

Xenomrph

I seem to recall that he wasn't allowed to use Alien3 stuff in the book for some reason because of some licensing thing, that they'd only licensed 'Aliens' specifically but not any of the other movies. The only reason the Nostromo or Narcissus are in the book is technically because they're in 'Aliens' as well, and while the events of 'Alien3' are hinted at in the final chapter they're not directly referenced by name.

SM

The Nostromo isnt in Aliens.  Technically or otherwise.

Hudson

Was the Nostromo even in the book? I haven't read that thing in a few years so I don't remember much. I just remember I was too young to read it when I did; I'd probably enjoy it more now.

SM

No pictures, but there's a page and half or so of description.

Hudson

So...the Alien 3 licensing explanation thing doesn't apply to Alien? Strange loophole there.

SM

I dunno if there was a licensing thing.  He talks about events in Alien and makes more vague references to events in Alien3 (including the EEV).  Licensing was an issue early on with artwork, hence the proliferation of Harry Harris stuff over licensed stills.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Mar 19, 2012, 10:53:06 PM
The Nostromo isnt in Aliens.  Technically or otherwise.
I believe the name might be up on the screen in the ICC inquest which was the loophole they used.

I recall reading some sort of interview with Lee Brimmicombe-Wood where he mentioned it was a licensing thing which was why 'Alien3' isn't referenced directly.

Edit-- yeah, he mentions it in this interview but I also recall him mentioning it in some other interview as well.

QuoteQ: How did Fox get involved, and at what point did this occur?

A: I presume Fox got involved when my publisher negotiated the license. Much to my chagrin I soon discovered that Boxtree had only bought a license for the second movie. That was frustrating, as I'd hoped to fill out the book with material from the first and third movies. However, when Fox's licensing division in Beverley Hills began to read drafts of the manual they had kittens. A whole section of the final chapter referenced the events of the third movie, and went into all sorts of detail about Alien morphology. That had to be scrapped because it wasn't covered by the license. In the end I had to cut the final chapter down by half and restrict mention of the third flick to an oblique reference.

Fortunately, Fox were prepared to stretch things a little with regards to the first movie. As various events and items from Alien, such as the Nostromo, were mentioned in the sequel, I was allowed to drop those into the book. But a big article on the escape pod from the third movie, done originally for the magazine, was left out.

SM

Well there I go.  I do recall reading that now.

Quote from: Hudson on Mar 20, 2012, 01:04:34 AM
So...the Alien 3 licensing explanation thing doesn't apply to Alien? Strange loophole there.
Quote from: Hudson on Mar 20, 2012, 01:04:34 AM

Why are you asking, Huddo?  You interviewed the guy!  ;D

Hudson

Heh, yeah except that was like forever ago. I was still a teenager then!

Cvalda

Just so everyone knows, Amazon US has now listed the Artist's Edition for preorder, currently priced at $40.62. I took the plunge and preordered--not a bad price for a limited edition, autographed import. Wonder how many of these Amazon is gonna get. :-\

predxeno

I just got it as well.  For better or worse.

Frog

Thanks for all the info.  I pre-ordered all the reprints including the Original Art hardcover for Alien Illustrated Story.

The 2-disc version of Alien Soundtrack is back up on Amazon so get it while you can...

http://www.amazon.com/Alien-National-Philharmonic-Orchestra/dp/B0010OWLI4/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1333995151&sr=1-1

Cvalda

Looks like the cover art for PROMETHEUS: The Art of the Film has been finalized.

LarsVader

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 19, 2012, 03:53:06 AM
Looks like the cover art for PROMETHEUS: The Art of the Film has been finalized.

http://i43.tinypic.com/1zd9m5y.jpg
Hmm... where is it from?

Cvalda

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed