Official ALIEN Literature 2012 Reissues List (UPDATED w/ New Details!)

Started by Cvalda, Feb 14, 2012, 10:33:29 AM

Author
Official ALIEN Literature 2012 Reissues List (UPDATED w/ New Details!) (Read 55,040 times)

First Blood

^ Great to hear, I highly look forward to getting this once released.

Cvalda

Unfortunately, it seems the hardback Artist's Edition is going to be largely an exclusively UK edition. There will only be VERY limited imports to the States through local comic shops, distributed by Diamond Comic Distributors. You can expect those to retail at a very premium price, as well. No news on whether the rest of the world will have any imports at all yet.

shoveke

Hi,

I'm the admin for the "Alien-TIS" facebook page and am responsible for scanning and restoring the artwork for the Titan reprints.

The "Original Art Edition" can be ordered right now at the Amazon.co.uk site, but you didn't have to live overseas to order it. We have plenty of american fans that have already ordered a copy through them. It is true that the only domestic outlet will be Diamond via comic shops and the like.

The new color reprint edition will be available as a mass market edition and is currently up for order at both the US and UK Amazon sites. It will also be available via Diamond.

If you have any questions, please feel free to fire away and I'll do my level-best to answer them in a timely manner.

Also, more info and any new info is posted first over at the Official FB page - http://www.facebook.com/AlienTIS

Thanks for the interest in this reprint project.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Nice to have you here, shoveke. I'm Aaron Percival from the FB page.

If folk want the Original Art Edition, I'd get your orders in on Amazon now before the price goes up. I've pre-ordered mine.

Shoveke, are Archie or Walter assisting you in anyway at all with the re-release?

SM

Shoveke - What exactly constitutes "restoring artwork"?  I have the original edition, which still stands up for mine.  Do you have any examples of the old edition compared to the new?

Cheers.  :)

Cvalda

Quote from: SM on Mar 12, 2012, 10:31:22 PM
Shoveke - What exactly constitutes "restoring artwork"?  I have the original edition, which still stands up for mine.  Do you have any examples of the old edition compared to the new?
Just visit the Facebook page, they regularly update with new scans.

predxeno

I'm thinking about getting the Artist's Edition, but $37 is a lot of money.  Originally, the highest price I was going to go for would be $30 and I don't know whether or not I should dish out the extra cash for the Artist's Edition.  If I do get the Artist's Edition, it will be more for the fact that I'm a fan of the Alien series than anything else as I have never bought an Artist's Edition of any kind of comic book and thus have no idea what truly makes these copies so special.

RagingDragon

Does that just mean it's autographed?  I'd like to know what's different as well, before I decide to spend the extra money.

I'm still recovering from buying Aliens: More Than Human when I' could've gotten Omnibus 4 with Berserker in it. :'(  Hoodwinked by those goddamned Swanland covers.

predxeno

I think all the original artwork is autographed, so that's a lot of pages in the book that will bear the artist's signature.

Also, I get your pain about More Than Human.  It's so sad that what was supposed to be a triumphant return was a dramatic failure for the comic series. :(  I hope you eventually did get Omnibus 4, tho.

Cvalda

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 13, 2012, 03:11:51 AM
I think all the original artwork is autographed, so that's a lot of pages in the book that will bear the artist's signature.
The book itself will be autographed. All the artwork is the original black & white ink illustrations done by the artist before coloring. It'll be quite a collector's item.

I can't afford it, so I'll just be getting the paperback reprint with the color version. I like da purrty colors :P

predxeno

I hope the facebook page for Alien The Illustrated Story or AvPGalaxy will do a giveaway where people can enter for a chance to win a free copy of this book.  That will definitely be more affordable. ;)

Cvalda

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 13, 2012, 03:28:42 AM
I hope the facebook page for Alien The Illustrated Story or AvPGalaxy will do a giveaway where people can enter for a chance to win a free copy of this book.  That will definitely be more affordable. ;)
Excellent idea.

RagingDragon

That would be great, the collectors edition sounds like a fine item...

shoveke

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 12, 2012, 08:46:08 PM

Shoveke, are Archie or Walter assisting you in anyway at all with the re-release?

Aaron - Sadly, Archie passed away back in '99. I work in Walter's studio so that's how I got the gig to do the art scanning and restoration, as I scanned all the artwork for the recent Marvel THOR Omnibus reprint and some of the artwork for IDW's THOR Artist Edition. Walter is extremely busy drawing Avengers for Marvel currently, but be assured he will be signing off on all portions of the finished product to make sure we get the best book published that we can. We will also have the original creative director for the book and letterer, John Workman involved. He is very excited to see this back in print, as are we all.

Quote from: SM on Mar 12, 2012, 10:31:22 PM

Cheers.  :)

SM - When the original book was printed, all of the lettering was done on a separate pieces of drafting vellum for each page, as some of the dialogue was to be printed in blue, and it was easier to have the lettering done that way for printing. Well, fast forward 30 years, printing is done somewhat differently and it's easier to have all the artwork setup and finalized going into the print process. So, I had to re-composite the lettering digitally back onto the artwork for the B&W and color editions. Also, the coloring in the original printing ended up being kinda muddy and the blacks were a little washed out in places. We have scanned in all the color artwork fresh and will adjust things so that it will be printed in the manner that was supposed to be originally released back in '79 but for some reason, did not turn out that way.

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 13, 2012, 02:54:45 AM
If I do get the Artist's Edition, it will be more for the fact that I'm a fan of the Alien series than anything else as I have never bought an Artist's Edition of any kind of comic book and thus have no idea what truly makes these copies so special.

What makes them so special, is that if you've ever seen original artwork compared to the printed version, there is usually a significant size difference as artwork is generally reduced by 35% for comics as a rule. The "Artist editions" print the original artwork at it's full original size, that means the pages in this book will 14" x 17", the same size as the original artboards. Plus with all the extra and new material and interviews, that's what makes them so "special". Also, the IDW edition start at US$100 a copy, so the price for the Alien book is a considerable bargain. If you are not one to care about such artistic matters, then the regular color reprint should hold you just fine.

Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 13, 2012, 03:07:35 AM
Does that just mean it's autographed?  I'd like to know what's different as well, before I decide to spend the extra money.

RagingDragon - All copies of the Original Art Edition will come hand-signed by Walter. It will be a limited run and there are no plans for re-printing as I understand it.

First Blood

Quote from: shoveke on Mar 13, 2012, 04:04:29 AM
Aaron - Sadly, Archie passed away back in '99. I work in Walter's studio so that's how I got the gig to do the art scanning and restoration, as I scanned all the artwork for the recent Marvel THOR Omnibus reprint and some of the artwork for IDW's THOR Artist Edition. Walter is extremely busy drawing Avengers for Marvel currently, but be assured he will be signing off on all portions of the finished product to make sure we get the best book published that we can. We will also have the original creative director for the book and letterer, John Workman involved. He is very excited to see this back in print, as are we all.

Just wanted to express that you and those involved did a beautiful job on the Walter Simonson Thor Omnibus. Well done. :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed