Official ALIEN Literature 2012 Reissues List (UPDATED w/ New Details!)

Started by Cvalda, Feb 14, 2012, 10:33:29 AM

Author
Official ALIEN Literature 2012 Reissues List (UPDATED w/ New Details!) (Read 55,036 times)

Mr. Domino

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 02, 2012, 04:35:17 AM
(does that make me some sort of comic book heathen? :P)

Nope, such does not make you a comic book heathen.

Quote from: SM on Mar 02, 2012, 05:05:14 AM
Also if you really dig colouring books.

This, however, does. Bad SM. Bad.

predxeno

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 02, 2012, 04:35:17 AM
Based on the hints that have been dropped, I think you're right. In that case, given the fact that the Artist's Edition is going to be outrageously expensive (the Amazon UK listprice is £39.99--Jesus) and that I like the purrty colors of the normal edition (does that make me some sort of comic book heathen? :P), I think I'll just go with the standard paperback reissue, which is currently under $10 on Amazon. Not a bad tradeoff considering I just recently sold my original '79 first edition for $30. 8)

HOLY SHIT!!!  The UK price is worth £39.99?!?!  I love the Alien franchise, but I am very hesitant to pay that much for a book that I already have.  Is there any chance that the price will go down if I wait?  Or will it instead go up?

Cvalda

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 02, 2012, 10:15:32 PM
HOLY SHIT!!!  The UK price is worth £39.99?!?!  I love the Alien franchise, but I am very hesitant to pay that much for a book that I already have.  Is there any chance that the price will go down if I wait?  Or will it instead go up?
That's the list price though, preorder price is currently at £23.99. Whenever Titan gets off its ass and updates Amazon US with the US list price, etc, I imagine Amazon's sell price will be around $30.

predxeno

That sounds a bit more reasonable.

Cvalda

Quick update--one of the admins for the ALIEN: The Illustrated Story Facebook page has clarified what's going on with the reissues, or at least how they're being remastered. All the artwork, both the original B&W and color, has been completely rescanned piece by piece from the original artists archives, with the text separate. Sounds like they're rebuilding the entire graphic novel from scratch.

I guess this means the artwork is going to definitely look much better than the original 1979 printing, especially with modern scanning and printing techniques. So looks like we're getting a definite upgrade! Hopefully they don't change the formatting too much from the original.

SM

Don't see the point.  It's great as it is.

Cvalda

Quote from: SM on Mar 05, 2012, 10:30:06 AM
Don't see the point.  It's great as it is.
Point is it's been out of print for over 30 years, and just doing a straight, musty old reprint would be a wasted opportunity. ;)

Cvalda

Amazon has been updated with cover art for the Artist's Edition of The Illustrated Story:

Cvalda

FINALLY! Details about the Artist's Edition have been released!
Per the official Facebook page and this link: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/03/10/alien-the-artists-edition/
QuoteWith Prometheus on the way, they are replicating the [Artist's Edition] format for themselves, with Alien: The Illustrated Story: The Artists' Edition, now renamed from "The Original Edition" to closer mirror the IDW editions. The volume will reprint the original art of the Heavy Metal Archie Goodwin/Walt Simonson adaptation of Ridley Scott's Alien at the 14″ x 17″ size.

The volume will also include colour tryout pages, the Goodwin script, an interviews with Simonson as well as his signature on every copy. Titan are also making the original story available in colour paperback at a... slightly more affordable price as Alien – The Illustrated Story.

That's right--these are very limited edition, and the price is so high because every copy is personally autographed. Note the original color version will only be sold separately in paperback.

Corporal Hicks

Haha. Think I'll pre-order this at Amazon. Much nicer price :P lol

I'll get these banged on the front page soon, as well.

First Blood

Walter Simonson was all I needed to read. So getting this.

RagingDragon

Just rad, take my money.

And the tech manual finally getting the love it deserves after what... 15 years?  I always thought they did a good job with that book, and assembled/presented it in an entertaining way as well.

First Blood

Here's some pics from the original for those curious about this...

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 05, 2012, 10:02:18 AM
Quick update--one of the admins for the ALIEN: The Illustrated Story Facebook page has clarified what's going on with the reissues, or at least how they're being remastered. All the artwork, both the original B&W and color, has been completely rescanned piece by piece from the original artists archives, with the text separate. Sounds like they're rebuilding the entire graphic novel from scratch.

I guess this means the artwork is going to definitely look much better than the original 1979 printing, especially with modern scanning and printing techniques. So looks like we're getting a definite upgrade! Hopefully they don't change the formatting too much from the original.

This is going to look gorgeous rescanned and redone. Almost like a fresh coat of paint. :)

EEV-2501

The Xeno style Alien font is so great.

SM

Easily one of the best comic book adaptations ever produced.  They really nailed the likenesses panel after panel.

Compare it to Earth War, Alien3, Newt's Tale or Resurrection and they pale in comparison.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed