I'm I the only one that likes AVPR ?

Started by hunterelf, Jan 02, 2012, 08:58:29 AM

Author
I'm I the only one that likes AVPR ? (Read 39,126 times)

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Novak 1334 on Apr 12, 2012, 10:20:52 PM
I agree about forcing opinions, but to be honest I don't see much of it on here

There is a lot of on here on certain parts of the forum. The forcing of opinions is why I have a small contempt for the forum sometimes and it's members. Though some of them I am on friendly terms with.

Quote from: Novak 1334 on Apr 12, 2012, 10:20:52 PM
I still have failed to find the ability to banish things to other dimensions means you shouldn't worry.... yet!  :D

I know you're joking but I can't help but feel as if the idea of a democracy and the allowance of opinions is negated and we should all be put under the thrall of dictatorial rule.

Quote from: CarnalCalligraphy on Apr 12, 2012, 10:18:53 PM
Still, if I ruled the world, I would have every copy of this film burned and would not allow people to find enjoyment in mediocrity.

I spoke too soon.

I suppose next certain colors that you may not like on apparel and objects should also be put to burnings similar to book bon-fires?

-Rakai'Thwei

OpenMaw

The movie is set in COLORADO.

...COLORADO!

Do you know what my friend started quoting when the final credits rolled?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoTs-M4_RqI#

Yeah.

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Apr 12, 2012, 10:26:34 PM
I spoke too soon.

I suppose next certain colors that you may not like on apparel and objects should also be put to burnings similar to book bon-fires?

-Rakai'Thwei

He did say if, ya know. It was said in jest.

It's one thing to say "Well, it's crap, but I still enjoy it." It's another when people insist that from an objective standpoint a bad movie is good when it can be objectively compared to other films and can without a doubt be considered sub-par.

For instance. I know a LOT of people find ID4 to be a terrible movie and cant stand it. I love it, personally. However, I can look at the film objectively and see there are some flaws in it. That's the objective half of it. Subjectively, I still enjoy it. But I won't tell other people they are wrong for hating it based on objectively bad things within it. The contrived plot, the bad characterizations, shodding editing etc, etc... Whatever it is about the film in question. Yes?  :)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: OpenMaw on Apr 12, 2012, 10:35:12 PM
He did say if, ya know. It was said in jest.

You'll have to forgive me. I just... have this contempt towards most members based on certain experiences here in the past.

I'm just trying to fight this attitude of forcing opinions on others, is all.

It's one thing to say "Well, it's crap, but I still enjoy it." It's another when people insist that from an objective standpoint a bad movie is good when it can be objectively compared to other films and can without a doubt be considered sub-par.

Oh I know what you're saying, and in some aspects I do agree.

For instance. I know a LOT of people find ID4 to be a terrible movie and cant stand it. I love it, personally. However, I can look at the film objectively and see there are some flaws in it. That's the objective half of it. Subjectively, I still enjoy it. But I won't tell other people they are wrong for hating it based on objectively bad things within it. The contrived plot, the bad characterizations, shodding editing etc, etc... Whatever it is about the film in question. Yes?  :)

Yeah you're right about that.

I mean, I am a person who could be very easily entertained and find enjoyment in a lot of things. I mean I know that a lot of people didn't like AvP-R, but do I let that stop it from me enjoying it? No, but I sometimes feel that there is this strong sense of ostracizing of those who did for whatever reason like the film. At least on this forum, anyway.

I mean, I just watch monster movies to see monsters fight. I don't really care about the human characters, I don't really look for some deep metaphor or the meaning of life. I just want to see monsters fight.

-Rakai'Thwei

SM

SM

Quote"If you don't follow my opinion, or follow the rest of us.. you're an idiot and a retard. Opinions are not allowed."

:laugh:

What a load of horseshit.  Victim, much?

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on Apr 13, 2012, 12:29:30 AM
Quote"If you don't follow my opinion, or follow the rest of us.. you're an idiot and a retard. Opinions are not allowed."

:laugh:

What a load of horseshit.  Victim, much?

It's hyperbole and exaggeration.

-Rakai'Thwei

SM

SM

Is that opinion or fact?  'Cos you know opinions aren't allowed and all that...

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on Apr 13, 2012, 01:24:19 AM
Is that opinion or fact?  'Cos you know opinions aren't allowed and all that...

[Snickers] Smart-ass. You know it's me just exaggerating.

-Rakai'Thwei

chupacabras acheronsis

it shouldn't come as a surprise though.

how to expect people not to question your taste and judge you poorly, when most of the time it's inconceivable that anyone could have a positive opinion on something as widely repudiated as that? i've seen it happen with videogames and lots of other franchises too. It's not about attacking contrary opinions, it's that there is a point in which something has so few redeming qualities and has such negative impact rippling into other content that not hating it means almost dismissing the damage it caused and thus disrespecting the standards it failed to meet.

not defending religious fundie behavior here, but i don't think that people lose their shit for no reason. it's very clear why, they feel hurt that only someone enjoyed something that everyone should have been able to enjoy.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Apr 13, 2012, 02:58:04 AM
it shouldn't come as a surprise though.

how to expect people not to question your taste and judge you poorly, when most of the time it's inconceivable that anyone could have a positive opinion on something as widely repudiated as that? i've seen it happen with videogames and lots of other franchises too. It's not about attacking contrary opinions, it's that there is a point in which something has so few redeming qualities and has such negative impact rippling into other content that not hating it means almost dismissing the damage it caused and thus disrespecting the standards it failed to meet.

not defending religious fundie behavior here, but i don't think that people lose their shit for no reason. it's very clear why, they feel hurt that only someone enjoyed something that everyone should have been able to enjoy.

All of that is extremely smart, and I totally understand what you're trying to say here. So major respect points to you there, Chupabaras. Major respect points to you.

I haven't re-watched AvP-R, as a matter of fact it's been months since I've seen all of the movies and I've seen them enough times to know most of them by heart. But I'm gonna re-watch AvP-R tonight and see why there is so much negative reaction to it. I know people have said why they didn't like but I'm going to see if I can simply see what others see, or not.

If I do see what others see, and suddenly hop on the hate bandwagon, well... I don't know... Will it cause me to outright hate the film like others? Will I see what the majority is seeing?

Hard to say.

-Rakai'Thwei

First Blood

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Apr 13, 2012, 03:09:52 AM
If I do see what others see, and suddenly hop on the hate bandwagon, well... I don't know... Will it cause me to outright hate the film like others? Will I see what the majority is seeing?

Hard to say.

-Rakai'Thwei

Watch the film.

Then take a look at Alien & Predator afterwards. You'll immediately see and hear the level of quality from those two movies alone that is completely absent from AVPR.

SM

SM

You don't even need to compare it to any of the original films.  It's bad all on its own.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: First Blood on Apr 13, 2012, 04:04:51 AM
Watch the film.

Then take a look at Alien & Predator afterwards. You'll immediately see and hear the level of quality from those two movies alone that is completely absent from AVPR.

I have seen the movies enough to know them by heart.

But does it really matter what order I watch them in?

-Rakai'Thwei

mastermoon

mastermoon

What really annoyed me about AVPR, did they really have to make the characters Kelly and Molly models of Ripely and Newt?, they even made them share a similar relationship.

It was also stupid how Kelly assures Molly that, "There are no more monsters" as Ripely said to Newt.

predxeno

Quote from: mastermoon on Apr 15, 2012, 03:32:04 PM
It was also stupid how Kelly assures Molly that, "There are no more monsters" as Ripely said to Newt.

That was actually my only complaint about their relationship; it seemed to big a homage that was scrappily put together without much thought.

RakaiThwei

I re-watched the film last night, and while I do admit that there are some subplots which could've been done away with, I still enjoy watching the film and just don't see what everyone else does. I tried to watch the film with an objective eye and I just don't see what the big stink about it is. Never the less, there are somethings which were pointless and could've been done away with, not to mention some things could've been improved.

But here is what I found that could've been omitted or improved upon.

1) Ricky and Jesse Subplot: This is something which could've been done entirely away. Really, this subplot was something which I don't think should've been in the film. The pool scene was also something that could've been omitted.

2) PredAlien Design: This is something which I believe could've been improved upon. We've only seen a few PredAlien designs, stemming from the comics and the games-- each having different appearance from how such a creature should be depicted. However I think the PredAlien could've looked better with more a bio-mechanoid appearance and less of a Predator appearance. Also, the dreadlocks could've been omitted as well and I would've liked to seen a more Predator visage around the mouth area that closes around the entire maw area.

3) Alien Design: I will conceed that these Aliens are not the best we've gotten. As a matter of fact, the Aliens from the first Alien vs Predator looked so much more better than the ones in Requiem. They looked really disproportionate in so many ways and their heads were too thin and too shrunken down and their necks were too plump and flesh appearing. Really, they could've done better with these Aliens.

4) PredAlien Reproduction: Pointless. Absolutely pointless and done mostly for shock factor. Really, I think this could've been entirely omitted and reproduction should've been entirely done differently. Egg-morphing would've been infinitely better than the regurgitation process.

5) Alien Gestation and Growth: Something entirely unresolved since the first AvP. This could've been improved upon by actually going with the twenty four hour gestation process and growth rate.

6) One Predator: I really think that a group of Predators would've been better suited to handle the Alien infestation. Why just send one Predator? I know Wolf was supposed to be this experienced veteran but a little back up wouldn't have hurt to have incase things get too difficult as far as hunting Aliens goes.

So far that's what I found, but aside from these six reasons which make the film flawed, I still enjoy watching this movie and really don't see the need to hop on the hate bandwagon.

-Rakai'Thwei

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed