What went wrong?

Started by KirklandSignature, Dec 29, 2011, 08:23:27 PM

Author
What went wrong? (Read 13,565 times)

AlexVelez

AlexVelez

Quote from: Edvin on Jan 02, 2012, 12:52:13 PM
i dont know what people have against the Scar/Lex team-up?
It made full sense in the comics?

It's the way it was executed. I also don't like the idea in the novel either, but it works.

SM

SM

The main problem was Lex didn't really do anything to earn a reprieve from the Predator.  She simply got lucky when the Alien walked onto a spear she was holding then forgot it had arms.

maledoro

maledoro

The answer to this thread's question is in the title of the first movie...

Edvin

Edvin

Quote from: maledoro on Jan 04, 2012, 01:13:45 AM
The answer to this thread's question is in the title of the first movie...
AVP?  ???

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Edvin on Jan 04, 2012, 01:34:38 AM
Quote from: maledoro on Jan 04, 2012, 01:13:45 AMThe answer to this thread's question is in the title of the first movie...
AVP?  ???
Well, in its non-abbreviated form...

Edvin

Edvin

Quote from: maledoro on Jan 04, 2012, 01:39:00 AM
Quote from: Edvin on Jan 04, 2012, 01:34:38 AM
Quote from: maledoro on Jan 04, 2012, 01:13:45 AMThe answer to this thread's question is in the title of the first movie...
AVP?  ???
Well, in its non-abbreviated form...

Alien vs Predator? Idunngeddit.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Edvin on Jan 04, 2012, 01:46:04 AMAlien vs Predator? Idunngeddit.
The idea of putting the two of them together in the same movie is "what went wrong"...

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

When Celtic jumps up off the floor in that stance... that was the peach pie for me :laugh:  Tried to find a gif of it, all I somehow found was this?  Which is in no way related, but hilarious I thought very.

Spoiler
[close]

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: RagingDragon on Jan 04, 2012, 02:13:10 AM
Spoiler
[close]
I hope they sanitize their dolls...

Edvin

Edvin

Quote from: maledoro on Jan 04, 2012, 02:01:04 AM
The idea of putting the two of them together in the same movie is "what went wrong"...
-sigh- http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=41491.0

maledoro

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Superficiality is what went wrong with it.

The first one needed 'Event Horizon' Anderson. What it got was 'Resident Evil' Anderson. You could at least tell it had some interesting ideas, though - what was being aimed for. In a few points, it kind of works. There just aren't enough of them. On the whole, it comes across as flashy and unremarkable. Some of this, however, is to do with it having a small budget.

Likewise, the next one feels even cheaper - except in terms of quality. They even had a surplus budget, decided to unnecessarily reshoot the Predator chestbursting scene and made it look worse. It came across like a bunch of fan-boys jamming loads of ideas together for the sake of it, rather than trying to tell a legitimate story.

I seem to remember one of the actors at the time saying the sequel was going to be "pure awesomeness" or something, which became a bit of an AVPG meme. :)

Basically, neither film really treated its audience like mature adults. Not in the way 'Alien', 'Aliens' and 'Predator' had. That's why both films always seem like they're missing something. You feel like you're a teenager being led into something cool and comic-worthy. But the people behind them forgot that what made the original comics so great was that they were trying not to be comics. They were trying to be worthy of being made into legitimate film sequels.

RazorSlash

RazorSlash

Everything.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jan 07, 2012, 04:29:25 PM
Superficiality is what went wrong with it.

The first one needed 'Event Horizon' Anderson. What it got was 'Resident Evil' Anderson. You could at least tell it had some interesting ideas, though - what was being aimed for. In a few points, it kind of works. There just aren't enough of them. On the whole, it comes across as flashy and unremarkable. Some of this, however, is to do with it having a small budget.

Likewise, the next one feels even cheaper - except in terms of quality. They even had a surplus budget, decided to unnecessarily reshoot the Predator chestbursting scene and made it look worse. It came across like a bunch of fan-boys jamming loads of ideas together for the sake of it, rather than trying to tell a legitimate story.

I seem to remember one of the actors at the time saying the sequel was going to be "pure awesomeness" or something, which became a bit of an AVPG meme. :)

Basically, neither film really treated its audience like mature adults. Not in the way 'Alien', 'Aliens' and 'Predator' had. That's why both films always seem like they're missing something. You feel like you're a teenager being led into something cool and comic-worthy. But the people behind them forgot that what made the original comics so great was that they were trying not to be comics. They were trying to be worthy of being made into legitimate film sequels.

One of the best summaries I've ever read.  Very nice.  I'm constantly intrigued thinking about this, as traditionally, comic books have been a medium targeting children and teens, but can also be made with the quality, and maturity, of big-budget films.  The first AvP series was like this.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: maledoro on Jan 04, 2012, 02:01:04 AM

Exactamundo

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed