Thoughts on the Mrs.Yutani Scene In AVP:R?

Started by AlexVelez, Dec 26, 2011, 09:44:38 PM

Author
Thoughts on the Mrs.Yutani Scene In AVP:R? (Read 23,626 times)

AlexVelez

I was rewatching AVP:R today.(don't ask why, it's the movie I've seen least in all 3 franchises. I figured I would give it another watch.) But when that particular scene came on, I got chills. The way Mrs.Yutani turned to look at the camera, the music, the "Our world isn't ready for this technology." & "But this isn't for our world, is it?" lines, Etc.

I thought it was brilliantly shot. The dialogue was short, but effective. It also had a very sinister tone, which I loved because in all the Alien films Weyland-Yutani is made out to be the villain. Even though AVP:R was mediocre & had a lot of flaws, this particular scene was well done. Although I would have preferred if they had captured Predator flying technology like an engine or battery, to explain why they achieved space flight in the Alien films. It makes no sense for Yutani to have a Predator gun because the marines still use bullets in the future. But I guess it's possible to reverse engineer the gun for space travel. Plus, Predator weapons would have been too dangerous for the average person to have.

So yeah, I give the writers & the Brothers Strause some props for that scene. Don't shoot me. :-\ lol

EEV-2501

EEV-2501

I assume that a lot of people are frequently watching AvP-R ? Everyday, there is a new topic beginning with "I was rewatching AvP-R..." Each time they say they don't know why. Some are not telling everything about their relation with this film. :) ;)

Snowdog

Quote from: EEV-2501 on Dec 26, 2011, 09:53:12 PM
I assume that a lot of people are frequently watching AvP-R ? Everyday, there is a new topic beginning with "I was rewatching AvP-R..." Each time they say they don't know why. Some are not telling everything about their relation with this film. :) ;)

Yeah lol :laugh: A lot of avp-r topics coming up lately

AlexVelez

Quote from: EEV-2501 on Dec 26, 2011, 09:53:12 PM

I'm not understanding. :(

Spidey3121

I liked this scene. It was one of very few scenes in the film in which i actually felt as if i were watching a true Alien or Predator film. In the overarching scheme of things however, much like the film on the whole, this scene is relevant. I don't know why either AvP film felt the need to insert Weyland or Yutani in our present day. I mean, save for references to a better product, & in the case of Lance Henriksen, a competent & recognizable actor.

PsyKore

I liked the idea behind it but I found it was a little hard to take seriously. Ooh here's the stereotypical company suits in their big sterile-looking building getting their hands on Predator tech. Now wait as I (Yutani) take a look at the Pred' cannon and then turn to gaze out the window.

SM

What was the point of the scene?

Valaquen

I thought it was poorly shot, etc. Just didn't like it. It was trying to be ominous, and it showed.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: AlexVelez on Dec 26, 2011, 09:44:38 PM
It makes no sense for Yutani to have a Predator gun because the marines still use bullets in the future.

Rewatch Hudson's dropship speech.

SM

Not just that - the Alien crew had laser pistols they could never fire.

AlexVelez

Would laser & plasma guns be considered the same thing? Also, what exactly did Hudson say in his speech? lol I can't recall.

PsyKore

Quote from: AlexVelez on Dec 29, 2011, 05:51:22 AM
Would laser & plasma guns be considered the same thing? Also, what exactly did Hudson say in his speech? lol I can't recall.

"Phased plasma pulse rifles"

Come to think of it, I think the Terminator asks for one of those or something along those lines in the gun store.

MrSpaceJockey

Quote from: PsyKore on Dec 29, 2011, 06:00:25 AM

"Phased plasma pulse rifles"

Come to think of it, I think the Terminator asks for one of those or something along those lines in the gun store.

"Phased plasma rifle in 40 watt range."

Particle beam phalanx sounds lasery, too.

SM

Sounds more particley..

Xenomorphine

One's basically using a beam of light. The other is... A gun which projects hot steam, but science-fiction writers like to use it because 'plasma' sounds cool and futuristic. :)

Hudson's quote makes it sound just ambiguous enough to be plausible, since we don't know if it means it shoots plasma or if 'phased plasma' is just a descriptive term for how the firing mechanism functions (the same as how we don't know what the 'pulse' in 'pulse rifle' means).

Lasers are getting realistically close to battlefield applications to potentially be used in combat in a few years' time. Not so much as hand-held weapons, but on pods for aircraft, most certainly. The AC-130 gunship had a laser cannon proposed for an upgrade and there are plans for 12-shot laser pods to be carried by F-18s.

They'll be game-changers if/when they ever get here. The US military are hoping to use them for very clever things, like over-heating warheads and fuel at range, essentially disarming a group of enemies and leaving them defenceless, without anyone getting injured or killed.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed