Fox CEO Tom Rothman talks Prometheus trailer leak

Started by Darkoo, Nov 30, 2011, 09:24:15 PM

Author
Fox CEO Tom Rothman talks Prometheus trailer leak (Read 22,570 times)

ThisBethesdaSea

To the contrary....Petitions have recalled governors, restarted television series, changed policies in corporations and so much more. You are entirely misinformed. :) :)

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Dec 03, 2011, 03:35:58 PM
To the contrary....Petitions have recalled governors, restarted television series, changed policies in corporations and so much more. You are entirely misinformed. :) :)

I don't believe I'm misinformed at all.  You'll note that I was careful to use the word "mostly".  One thing that's absolutely necessary for such a petition to have an affect in this case is a vast number of signatures, which I doubt such a cause will attract.

The examples of successful petitions you provided are telling; governors, cancelled television series, policies in corporations.  These are all "slightly" more far reaching and impacting than the rating of a movie.

It's only us hardcore fans who are bothered enough to actually take the time to sign and in the grand scheme of things we're a minority.  20th Century Fox isn't going to lower the number of potential audience members and therefore revenue for a 200 million dollar movie, simply to pander to the minority.

ThisBethesdaSea

You're right...but I'd like to at least put forth an effort before shitting on it.

The Xenoborg

I thought it wasn't PG 13. :o
It's sad if it is. Where do I go for the petition thing?

Glaive

...*puts head in hands, and slowly, SLOWLY, starts rocking back-and-forth...*

The Xenoborg

Quote from: Glaive on Dec 03, 2011, 05:49:37 PM
...*puts head in hands, and slowly, SLOWLY, starts rocking back-and-forth...*

Zenzucht

Petition is pointless.. It will be PG-13.

But it can prove demand for Director's Cut (R) for BD release :)

T Dog

You can try but I think you'll be pissing in the wind.

Movies are an industry. This isn't a low budget art film. It's an extremely expensive blockbuster that needs to make a lot of money to break even. And making it R would cut out a large demographic and probably take too big a risk.
Maybe it would be a marketing strategy to make a blockbuster for adults and I'd very happy and very surprised if Fox were the ones to take that first step. But it's not going to happen.

They are ultimately a large business that make large amounts of money from entertainment in which there is very little pride in the work. If some piece of shit romcom makes a billion in the box office nobody is going care about the merits of the work, just the money that's rolling in.

On a larger note, the american rating's system is ridiculous. I don't see why they can't just make another rating in between PG13 and R. In Ireland they have PG, 12's, 15's, 16's, 18's, which seems sensible to me. It gives greater freedom to the rating's board and film maker.

ThisBethesdaSea

nevermind then...jebus

Mr. Clemens

Mustn't forget also that if Fox cuts the film PG-13, then releases an R Director's Cut via seamless branching on blu-ray and dvd, they can expect to sell more discs than they would have otherwise. It's a win-win for them.

As long as I get Ridley's cut in the end, I'm happy.

Darth Vile

What rating was AVP: Requiem? That's a good litmus paper for such things...

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Actually, I see that that one got an R. Interesting.

The more I think about film ratings, the more ridiculous they seem. I don't think any child's mind got corrupted by a film watched in a movie theatre with their parents. If that kind of thing's gonna happen, it's gonna happen at home, in a dark basement while the folks aren't paying attention. Like, back in the day, how many times did some of you guys rewind Ripley's 'crotch shot' in Alien on home video? Were you even 13 years old at the time? (not saying we're all psychos, but you see what I mean.  :P)

I guess I'm rambling, but the whole ratings thing just kinda seems like the studios paying lip service to 'moral decency'. 'Cause we all know that once those films hit the shelves and the airwaves, any kid has carte-blanche to watch 'em if his/her parents aren't looking.

T Dog

It's America.....

JKS1

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Dec 07, 2011, 04:45:12 PM
Actually, I see that that one got an R. Interesting.

The more I think about film ratings, the more ridiculous they seem. I don't think any child's mind got corrupted by a film watched in a movie theatre with their parents. If that kind of thing's gonna happen, it's gonna happen at home, in a dark basement while the folks aren't paying attention. Like, back in the day, how many times did some of you guys rewind Ripley's 'crotch shot' in Alien on home video? Were you even 13 years old at the time? (not saying we're all psychos, but you see what I mean.  :P)

I guess I'm rambling, but the whole ratings thing just kinda seems like the studios paying lip service to 'moral decency'. 'Cause we all know that once those films hit the shelves and the airwaves, any kid has carte-blanche to watch 'em if his/her parents aren't looking.

In the case of AVP:R it shouldve been given a certification all of its own 'UR' (Universal Restriction) guaranteeing that absolutely no-one was allowed to see it due to it being so God awful !

(You rewound the crotch shot in Alien ?......I never did that..........and I thought was a perv !!  :o )

Mr. Clemens

It was 1983, and my options were limited.  :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed