Why do people hate Alien3?

Started by Basher917, Oct 30, 2011, 05:06:06 PM

Author
Why do people hate Alien3? (Read 237,472 times)

Ash 937

Ash 937

I've read all 58 pages of this thread and a lot of people made very good points in favor of Alien3.  Unfortunately, I still hate it. 

stephen

stephen

A lot of people also made some decent criticisms as well.

SM

SM

stephen

Hudson

Hudson

I kinds think the characters in Alien 3 are likable like the ones in Snatch, or in Predators. They're all horrible, reprehensible people, yet many are entertaining in some way. I've personally never had a problem with all the bald people, I'm good with faces, but I get where people come from.

aliennaire

aliennaire

Quote from: Ash 937 on Mar 14, 2012, 05:15:11 AMI've read all 58 pages of this thread and a lot of people made very good points in favor of Alien3.
You did a commendable job  ;)

Quote from: SM on Mar 14, 2012, 05:17:35 AM
Quote from: stephen on Mar 14, 2012, 03:59:04 AM
Well said SM.

I thought so.  ;D
Yes, convincing arguments, as always!  :)

Quote from: Hudson on Mar 14, 2012, 10:03:37 AMI kinds think the characters in Alien 3 are likable like the ones in Snatch, or in Predators. They're all horrible, reprehensible people, yet many are entertaining in some way.
In what way, if I may ask?

And, for the start, what was the necessity to have 25+extra bald heads in A^3, if they could have perfectly dealt with a less number of prisoners?.. Well, I have a conjecture, which is to deliberately made the film gorier, just want to gather others' opinions.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: SM on Mar 14, 2012, 03:56:56 AM
Quotepeople like Drake, Frost and Apone were dead very early on, despite being interesting and likeable characters too

They weren't interesting- we know next to nothing about them - just likeable.  And that's all you need.

Making likeable characters out of high penalty prison would be very cheesy and movie cliche. Those people are garbage who raped or killed. Making one of them as the only one who truly changed is more natural. Plus we also like Clemens and 85 (whi plays the role of Lambert & Hudson), and Morse is funny

QuoteThus illustrating the point that no one's going to give a shit when they die.

Right, but theres plenty of characters in most horrors and movies that we dont know and are just meatbags

QuoteAaron only becomes likeable because of his death.  Prior to that he's a fairly pathetic idiot.

he came off as that, but he wasnt a bad guy. And again, he played the same role as Lambert and Hudson - being the voice of the audience, the scared, panicking side

QuoteThere's no black and white on contrivances.  Some are easy to accept (Aliens) and others aren't (Alien3).  They should be applauded for taking the road less travelled

The script was written on the spot, there was no time for intricate explanations. The egg was there, audience assumes the Queen left it, thats it. The problems in details only

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Hudson on Mar 13, 2012, 11:41:43 PM
My head's in a whirlwind right now, only partly because I've had a few.

On these characters being faceless: Alien 3 is the closest to a slasher film that any of the Alien films are I think, and I can still distinguish all the bald British guys easier than anyone in any Jason, Freddy, or Michael movie.

I'd label Rez as the slasher film of the Alien films. It's the bloodiest of the four and contains dark humour.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: StrangeShape on Mar 14, 2012, 03:11:35 PM
The script was written on the spot, there was no time for intricate explanations. The egg was there, audience assumes the Queen left it, thats it. The problems in details only
Those are some pretty huge details. But the writing on the spot wasn't the problem, as mystery eggs and magic Aliens appear in every iteration of the script, from Gibson-Hill/Giler, from 1987-1991. Four years to come up with a logical scenario.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 14, 2012, 03:56:43 PM
Those are some pretty huge details. But the writing on the spot wasn't the problem, as mystery eggs and magic Aliens appear in every iteration of the script, from Gibson-Hill/Giler, from 1987-1991. Four years to come up with a logical scenario.

Nothing compared to why W&Y waited for 57 years to investigate the derelict.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

I think Val explained it pretty thoroughly in his latest blog entry on Ash

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Mar 14, 2012, 04:13:24 PM
Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 14, 2012, 03:56:43 PM

Nothing compared to why W&Y waited for 57 years to investigate the derelict.
Which is why everyone complains about it. Except they don't. Scott explained that WY didn't know about the Alien. This particular corporation didn't have any preconceived notion that an alien would be found on this mission, much less the particular alien that is brought onto the ship. The idea of bringing it back would not have been on the minds of the corporation executives when they first received the alien transmission. They just had high expectations when they ordered the Nostromo to investigate - it was purely out of curiosity.

Quote from: StrangeShape on Mar 14, 2012, 04:23:15 PM
I think Val explained it pretty thoroughly in his latest blog entry on Ash
Still, he's deflecting and says nothing about A3's hole, which is the subject at hand.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 14, 2012, 03:11:50 PM
I'd label Rez as the slasher film of the Alien films. It's the bloodiest of the four and contains dark humour.
All of the Alien films follow the Monster-in-the-Basement formula; Alien was inspired in some aspects by Halloween (a slasher film).

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

Some?
The entire final act of Alien follows the final act of Halloween note for note. The only thing missing is a stand in for Pleasence.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Said 'some' to play it safe; I have never seen Halloween.
That, and Myers got 'blown out of the goddamn airlock'?

;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed