Neal Scanlan Studio doing the creature effects

Started by Darkoo, Jul 05, 2011, 11:53:48 AM

Author
Neal Scanlan Studio doing the creature effects (Read 12,195 times)

Darkoo

Darkoo

http://www.nsstudio.co.uk/index.htm

Creature animatronics guru, Neal Scanlan, has been added to the Prometheus production crew according to IMDB and the Neal Scanlan Studio website.

Scanlan is attached as a Creature and Special Make-up Effects Supervisor according to IMDB.

Best known for his Oscar winning visual effects in Babe in 1996, he was one of the founding members of the Jim Henson Creature Shop where he worked as an Animatronics and Creative Supervisor.
Before leaving the Jim Henson Organisation in 1996, he had worked on titles such as Labyrinth, Little Shop of Horrors and The Witches.

In 1996 he formed Neal Scanlan Studios which went on to work on animatronics, special make-up and prosthetic effects for a string of movies and TV-series, including Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Sweeney Todd to name a couple.

http://www.alienprequelnews.com/2011/07/neal-scanlan-is-on-board-prometheus.html

ThisBethesdaSea

Awesome....this tells us how serious Ridley is about in camera effects. Animatronics have always been nmy favorite...at least...convincing animatronics.

Pn2501

Sounds promising for some practical effects.

harlock

Quietly reserved about this - the make-up effects they do are great, as long as we get good camera work and lighting on the animatronics like in the first Alien, this may turn out ok  :)

Uncanny Antman

Very promising news.  Me happy.  :)

ThisBethesdaSea

It's usually the cutting in between CG effects and in-camera effects that really stop me cold. ALIEN3 was a victim of this, and so was the Star Wars Prequels.

harlock

I think we're at the point now where thats not so much of an issue - however I hope the CG and especially 3D will be at a minimum, not up in our faces.

ThisBethesdaSea

I won't be seeing Prometheus is 3D. I have ZERO interest. A good story doesn't need it.

Corporal Hicks

Same. I shan't be supporting that gimmick. 2D all the way.

harlock

Aslong as we dont get another round of visuals that used it like Resident Evil: Apocalypse did, I should be ok with it - they even 3D'ed Wesker throwing his f'ing shades at the camera in that  :(

A nice 3D panoramic establishing shot or something to show off Giger's designs will do and thats all, thanks  :)

Pn2501

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jul 10, 2011, 06:56:46 PM
I won't be seeing Prometheus is 3D. I have ZERO interest. A good story doesn't need it.

Same for my first viewing, I'll be seeing it more than once I can assume so I might watch it in 3D on a second viewing.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Very f**king sweet.
Look at this, think one of the guys that brought this to life is gonna work on Prometheus... and tell me you're not spinning in joy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLO7IxKwruc#

jacc.90

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jul 11, 2011, 10:21:02 AM
Very f**king sweet.
Look at this, think one of the guys that brought this to life is gonna work on Prometheus... and tell me you're not spinning in joy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLO7IxKwruc#

I love audry II
dat plant xd

Space Voyager

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jul 10, 2011, 06:56:46 PM
I must say that I don't understand. A good story doesn't need a movie even, yet you will go see it. Why not read a script? /sarcasm

Seriously though, if it doesn't NEED it that doesn't necessarily make it a bad feature. It literally and figuratively adds a dimension, so why not?

@Corporal Hicks; I don't see it as a gimmick, it is evolution. You're not the first to shun evolution. ;)

ThisBethesdaSea

Voyager...these aren't difficult concepts. 3D in and of itself isn't a bad thing..but it's also not a necessary thing. Your argument about a script not needing to be a film if it's a good story is about the dumbest thing I've read in a while.

3D IS a gimmick. Sometimes the gimmick works, sometimes it doesn't.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed