Inside the Members Studio

Started by Aeus, May 30, 2011, 07:06:54 PM

Author
Inside the Members Studio (Read 165,579 times)

Aeus

Aeus

As some of you will be aware from this thread, AVPGalaxy members will now be up for interviews which will be posted in this thread, if they agree to do them.

Each interview will consistist of 11 standard questions that everyone will get, and then 5 or so questions specific to that member. If you're up for an interview you'll probably have a PM from me, but if you want one then feel free to drop me a PM.

-----------------------------------------

Shoutouts to Vulhala and SiL for helping me out with some of the kinks.

New interviews should be up each Monday.

Shasvre

Shasvre

It's on! Great name for the thread by the way.

Aeus

Aeus

First up is the anthropomorphic personification of hate, the man we all know as SiL.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off lets start with the big one. What's your all time favorite film of the franchise and why?

Alien, hands down. It's the definitive monster on a spaceship movie in the same way Jaws is the definitive shark movie -- you can do it over and over again, but in the end you're just ripping on Alien. It took everything the genre had offered up over the fifty-odd years preceding it and rolled into one coherent ball of kickass. Neither the first nor the most original, but definitely the best -- and if there's one genre I unashamedly love to death, it's monster-on-a-spaceship flicks.

There's also a certain nostalgic attachment (Saw it when I was nine) and this lasting sense of victory when I finally got to see it. Took months of pestering my parents before they'd let me watch it (I'd read the comics and Dissecting Aliens: Terror in Space, so I knew what I was getting into), and when they finally did it exceeded even my wildest expectations. I knew the plot backwards before I saw it and it still scared the shit out of me when Ripley was running down the corridors with the strobe lights.

Give us some insight into the man behind the username. In other words 'who are you and what do you do?'

I'm a fifty-four year old Korean man living in my mother's basement. I have a cat named Mr. Tinklehumpy who is missing half an ear and an adorable asthmatic cough. I make a living selling copies of Playboy to impressionable koalas.

Has your love of this franchise influenced you in anyway?

I probably write as much sci-fi as I do because of Alien, and Predator influenced how I see action movies. John McTiernan set a bar for me with it and Die Hard; you can have an inherently silly action movie and still have it kick ass and that you didn't laugh at when you weren't supposed to.

We're all brought here by our appreciation of this specific franchise. For you though, what about it keeps you interested after all these years of fandom?

I think now it's just habit. After AvPR and Predators I question why I bother.

What are your thoughts on how the series has developed over the years?

They've both pretty much gone to the dogs. I normally don't give credit for effort, but after AvPR I started appreciating AvP more for at least trying. Predators is one of the few movies I have ever seen that has insulted my intelligence so much that it made me angry. f**k that movie, honestly.

When your series gets to a point where you're reinventing the wheel every ten minutes just because you're so God-damned terrified the audience will be distracted by a shiny object off in the middle distance, maybe you should quit. Not because you've actually run out of steam, but because you clearly have so little faith in your own product that you don't think people think it's worth shit any more.

That being said, bring on the video games! Predator-human-penguin-jaguar-Alien hybrids for all!

What is it about he AVPGalaxy community that you enjoy the most? Aside from our mutual love of Giger and Winstons creations.

Some wonderfully stupid conversations. Also I think I get most of my movie news from the general movies discussion board these days.

... also the wonderful and charming people?

If you could change or add one thing to AVPGalaxy, what would it be?

Every thirty seconds and image of a middle-age woman who looks suspiciously like your mother appears and gives you a very unimpressed look, muttering "Dear dear dear" before turning back and walking away, dejected, upset that you have failed to live up to her hopes and aspirations.

Of all the members on the boards who is your favourite and why?

So many! Maybe all, really; reliably youthful, mentally excellent!

What is your favorite curse word?

Funktits.

They're tits. That play funk?

If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates?

"Wait, what?"

Ridley Scotts Prometheus is set to be the lastest installment to the franchise. What are your feelings towards the film and the direction they're taking with it?

I really really do not care at this point. My expectations are in the gutter. Any explanation for the Jockey in Alien is going to suck because part of the fun is coming up with your own explanation. If it's a prequel with Aliens I don't care; if it's not, I also don't care. It's a thing that will happen; hopefully I will like it.

You're fairly outspoken about how you feel James Cameron's Aliens took the creature in the wrong direction. If you were tasked with making a sequel to Alien, what would you do? Also, for the sake of arguement you're held at gunpoint, so saying 'I wouldn't' isn't an option.

Not make them insects. Go with O'Bannon's original idea, that they have a period of bloodlust followed by some manner of alien civilisation. Except rather than calming down to a scholarly life, it's some twisted Lovecraftian nightmare of a place. Ridley mused of a society based on sadism in one of his commentaries.

You could keep your guns and your marines and your action; keep your multiple creatures; but rather than say "Okay they're termites now everyone cool?", have fewer Aliens, make each and every one a threat. Yes, they're destructible, yes shooting them will kill them -- so make them more cunning, more intelligent, more resourceful. Let no Alien be disposable; every single one is a threat, not just the whole.

Also no Queen.

I tend to think that the concept of an AVP movie would only work with superficial renditions of the titular creatures. Incarnations reminiscent of Kanes Son and Anytime would be hard to make work. Having written your own AVP script, what are your thoughts on this?

I think the opposite. You need Kane's Son and Anytime going head to head. That's what people want to see. It'd look great. Throwing two things that vaguely resemble them is cheating the audience out of the whole reason they're there to see the movie; I think the previous AvP movies have proved this pretty thoroughly.

This holds true even if you mean personalities rather than looks. Gimme back my creeping Alien intelligence and my cool, methodical hunter!

Character driven vs Plot driven? Where do you sit on that and why?

For these movies? Plot-driven, but with good characters. We're not here to see the deep emotional development of a group of people, we're here to see people surviving alien encounters, be they Alien or Predator. But if we can get that as well, bonus.

I think it's fair to say you're a fairly critical person when it comes to cinema (cheesey 80s action films withstanding). For you though, what kind of movie attracts you most?

I go to see movies that I think have an interesting idea to them, or one that might involve a lot of explosions or weirdness. The movies I like are the ones that deliver on the idea and don't insult my intelligence. There's a difference between leaving your brain at the door, and having to shoot it out back before you enter the theater so it can't possibly interfere.

You go to no lengths to hide your love of Sean Pertwee and Jason Isaacs ('ALIN TH RTURN' anyone?), what is it about each of these actors that you enjoy so much?

Pertwee is the archetypal everyman hero. He's every blue-collar worker thrown into a shitty situation ever and he does it so God-damned well. He does likable as naturally as most people do breathing. When Bruce Willis came onto the scene in Die Hard it was all about how this guy wasn't Arnold Schwarzenegger -- he's the real down-to-Earth shitty dude doing a good thing. But Pertwee's that without the Hollywood clichés. He's that kind of archetype taken to its most basic level, and he kicks ass doing it.

Also dude can act! Needs more roles. Where he doesn't die.

As for Isaacs, I just think the dude's drastically underused. He's kind'a like Timothy Dalton -- you throw him in a movie and you've got +10 class. He could have the role of Exposition Boy and your movie will still seem like it just came from a canapé party because it's got Jason Isaacs in it.

Members who were with us during the production of AVPR will most likely remember your 'disagreemnts' with Director Colin Strause. For those of us who weren't there, what about the man and his views on the franchise did irked you?

It became very apparent very quickly that these guys had put no thought into this. What pissed me off, though, wasn't really their mentality, but that they were wasting such a f**king great opportunity. Here they are directing an AvP movie and they're spoiling it with shitty ideas a 10 year old would be throwing in their fan-fiction. A minute of thinking would destroy any of their ideas; when this is the case, maybe you've got problems with your story.

Pingu vs Chilly Willy in a no hold barred fight to the death. Who wins and why?

Pingu. Why? Because f**k you, that's why.

Nightmare Asylum

Woah, aweosme!

Shasvre

Shasvre

Aye, it's of to a great start. Awesome questions, awesome answers. :)

Pn2501

Pn2501

QuoteFirst off lets start with the big one. What's you all time favorite film of the franchise and why?

Your

QuoteWe're all brought here by our appreciation of this specific franchise. For you though, what about it keeps you interested after all these years of fandom?

You need to bold that.

How did I know SiL was going to say plot driven ha.

I like the format. I await the next interview.

Aeus

Aeus

Quote from: Pn2501 on May 30, 2011, 07:35:48 PM
QuoteFirst off lets start with the big one. What's you all time favorite film of the franchise and why?

Your

QuoteWe're all brought here by our appreciation of this specific franchise. For you though, what about it keeps you interested after all these years of fandom?

You need to bold that.

How did I know SiL was going to say plot driven ha.

I like the format. I await the next interview.

Ah thanks.

Kind of embarrassing considering I proof read this.  :D

my brain dun wurk so gud

Pn2501

Pn2501

Not bad for a human.
Fresh eyes Always help.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

This is awesome so far. Can't wait for the next interview. :)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Aeus on May 30, 2011, 07:14:45 PM
Pingu. Why? Because f**k you, that's why.
+1 Internet for SiL.

Great interview up there, also. Enjoyed reading it.

scarhunter92

scarhunter92

Looking forward to the next one. :)

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

I loved Pingu, that show was the

AUUUUGH f**k MY LIFE

Aeus

Aeus

Shasvre

Shasvre

Creds to Aeus for organising this. :)

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

The use of James Lipton is f**king beautiful.  :'(

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed