Status Update on Sequel and Mod Support

Started by ikarop, May 13, 2011, 08:18:51 PM

Author
Status Update on Sequel and Mod Support (Read 84,607 times)

Ghostface

Quote from: Le Celticant on May 20, 2011, 08:21:30 AM
As far I'm aware, there are already threads to discuss the good and the bad side of AVP (2010).
A sequel will obviously come but we'll probably have to wait another decade (new movies, new other alien / predator games).

Concerning Mod Support, I think we should do something, the game has a huge potential to be mod and became a true Aliens Vs. Predator game.
I only wish so much that I could do some maps with those new graphics and possibilities offered by lighting!

Developers are stupid not to allow fans to mod. They should allow the creative genius of the fans to come up with some truly marvelous aspects of gameplay and implement them in a sequel. Thats a portion of the creative process they could get for free!

Le Celticant

Quote from: Ghostface on May 20, 2011, 09:07:51 AM
Quote from: Le Celticant on May 20, 2011, 08:21:30 AM
As far I'm aware, there are already threads to discuss the good and the bad side of AVP (2010).
A sequel will obviously come but we'll probably have to wait another decade (new movies, new other alien / predator games).

Concerning Mod Support, I think we should do something, the game has a huge potential to be mod and became a true Aliens Vs. Predator game.
I only wish so much that I could do some maps with those new graphics and possibilities offered by lighting!

Distributors are stupid not to allow fans to mod. They should allow the creative genius of the fans to come up with some truly marvelous aspects of gameplay and implement them in a sequel. Thats a portion of the creative process they could get for free!

Fixed, and yes I agree. There were some very innovative ideas in the modding of previous AVP games.

skull-splitter

There were indeed. None could've been worse than the melee system...

Le Celticant

Quote from: skull-splitter on May 21, 2011, 08:40:58 AM
There were indeed. None could've been worse than the melee system...

I used to say once "They can't do worse than Paul Anderson's AVP"... Greg & Colin Strause show me how wrong I was.

The melee system could have been great by this way if some featured were fixed as:
-Marine can't use Melee (not enough strong to be a real threat for both Alien & Predator).
-Alien should have an advantage on Predator with the melee.
-There shouldn't be any ability to block.
-Improve the auto aim by not giving it such a huge range (distance). Also, don't allow the player to hit another one this one is not in the FOV (sometimes my character make an instant 180° to hit a prey)
-Play with the Stealth kill to prevent hit spam as for example you could only do it if he's not moving.

In that way, it would have work much better. Maybe increase the pulse rifle damages since Aliens have no hard time to reach a prey... but do have hard time to kill it without using E-spam or wallwalk tail.

If we get the SDK, I think that's what need to be done first.

Brother

*Remove all auto aiming and focus attacks, at least on the PC.

Le Celticant

To get again the 'hit the empty' system hm... not sure about it.
The auto aim the way it is in AVP (2010) is wrong. But completely remove it would result as AVP2 system where most of the time... people were hitting the empty.  ::)

Brother

You need to aim to hit, not the game to do it for you. Eventually you get good at it. Oh and get good at dodging too.

skull-splitter

Quote from: Le Celticant on May 21, 2011, 04:57:32 PM
To get again the 'hit the empty' system hm... not sure about it.
The auto aim the way it is in AVP (2010) is wrong. But completely remove it would result as AVP2 system where most of the time... people were hitting the empty.  ::)

Bad Company 2 did it better than AvP did. I can see why the melee sstem was build, and on paper it works like a charm. Sadly, in execution it just kills the immersion and thus AvP got to be either a instakill or a random buttonbash-fest, plagued by lag-issues.

Look up BC2's melee, it's the best of both worlds.

About toning down the other options: it wasnt broken in AvP2, so why the hell try to reinvent the wheel? Improving is one thing, but tossing it upside down just sucks. A slap in the face to all the oldies.

AJL

AJL

So whats this BC2 system like ? ::)

In my opinion this AvP(3) melee system is at its core better than the simple
jousting "melee" in previous AvP games... But it could definitely take some
more work... ::)

And the melee should be mostly between Aliens and Preds... For marines
getting in to the melee should be a very bad idea...

And I think Marines should be able to suppress/neutralize focus attacks by
shooting at the attacker instead of defending against it with block...

skull-splitter

BC2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVh95EU_DcA#

It attaches to the other player to some extend, but allows a more free use. Not the instant-flash MW2 (the revolting kiddy game IMO)has, but a more brutal stab at someone. Many a scare was induced in the game.

The whole paper-rock-scissors-thing made it fluke IMO. During singleplayer you're blinded by instructions, in MP the only que you'll get is barely visible and just audible. Add some lag issues and you're stuck with a system that frustrates more than it immerses players. Same goes for the focus, the e-kills and the leaping/wallwalking. It just was SO much better in both AvP games the way it was, except the melee volume hitting mostly air.

Melee for Aliens and preds (I liked the idea of having wrists as a main, SC/Disc/Spear as an optional weapon that you can quick-draw when needed) indeed, Marines are masters of ranged weapons. Sadly, in this title you could only see about 33% of your screen at any given time, reducing the marines capabilities.

T.L.22

BC2's melee "system" would get real boring real quick in AvP.

I think we're getting off topic here anyway. Isn't this thread supposed to be about an unplanned sequel and an attempt to acquire an SDK?

I'd be perfectly okay with not getting a sequel if they decide to release tools. C'mon Sega, throw us a bone!

skull-splitter

Quote from: T.L.22 on May 22, 2011, 07:47:41 PM
BC2's melee "system" would get real boring real quick in AvP.
It's the golden ratio between previous AvP titles and what AvP'10 tried to do. The meleesystem got boring even quicker.

DragonBossk

They should have just kept it like it was in AVP2 IMO. No marine would ever pull a knife on a Alien/Pred (unless you're Bennett from Commando) and knocking back with the butt of your rifle is just plain ridiculous.

And oh god how I missed pounce attack  :'(

Corporal Hicks

AvP has pounce.

Space Sweeper

Quote from: DragonBossk on May 25, 2011, 09:18:45 AM
And oh god how I missed pounce attack  :'(
Hold the focus button and press "A", or "X", or whatever key it is on PC.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed