The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 460,204 times)

The Golden Fox

The Golden Fox

Quote from: Michael Harper on Jan 18, 2012, 10:45:23 PM
Quote from: The Golden Fox on Jan 18, 2012, 10:32:07 PM
Quote from: Michael Harper on Jan 17, 2012, 03:55:35 PM
Quote from: Valaquen on Jan 08, 2012, 08:22:03 AM
Quote from: SpaceMarines on Jan 08, 2012, 02:51:05 AM
Reading A Clash of Kings right now, and it's even better than the first one. I can't wait for this season to start.
And the two-parter third book is even better!  ;D

A Storm of Swords is by far the best of the series, followed closely by A Clash of Kings. :D

I thought 'AGoT' was better than 'ACoK', but 'ASoS' is definitely the best.

I haven't read 'ADwD' yet. Anyone got a spoiler-less opinion on it?
Spoiler

I've read quite a bit of negativity towards both A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons, which I'm actually partly surprised about. Firstly, I really enjoyed both books. I recently read them both back-to-back, knowing that they are partially overlapped (until the latter part of A Dance With Dragons). I got a real sense of the "Calm Before the Storm", and I think that's what George R.R. Martin was going for. With A Game of Thrones, he put the story in motion basically. With certain character deaths, and particular events shaped the rest of the entire A Song of Ice and Fire series. Then with both A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords we were given what I believe was "chaos". There were betrayals, deaths, and more terror around every corner. So, when you reach both A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons you're left at a point that is now a bridge of sorts, between the chaos of the second and third book, and what I imagine will be full-scale anarchy in the final two books, The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring. And secondly, I think a lot of the negativity is actually towards the length of time George R.R. Martin takes to write the books. Over the course of six years we've had two books that was as I described as the "Calm Before the Storm", and we must wait now until the sixth book has been written. And I understand where a lot of readers can get a bit disgruntled with that, but I also think that it builds even more of an anticipation - we're left in a bit of a limbo now until The Winds of Winter, and not only where the books giving me a sense of the "Calm Before the Storm" but this wait for the next book is like the readers going through the same experience.

So...basically, I really enjoyed it! :)
[close]

That's what I assumed, it's nice to have it confirmed by a second person. 'ASoS' was so very climatic, that Martin needs two whole books to make a bridge towards the next major (And possibly final) climax.

You know it's a great series of books when you're favourite character dies (It was in 'ASoS' for me), and after all the grieving you realize that he wasn't actually your favourite character at all - and you begin to see more and more qualities of other characters.

I sure never would've imagined that my favourite character in this series would be a 12 year-old girl.

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Quote from: The Golden Fox on Jan 18, 2012, 10:54:59 PM
Reading A Clash of Kings right now, and it's even better than the first one. I can't wait for this season to start.

A Storm of Swords is by far the best of the series, followed closely by A Clash of Kings. :D

Spoiler

I've read quite a bit of negativity towards both A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons, which I'm actually partly surprised about. Firstly, I really enjoyed both books. I recently read them both back-to-back, knowing that they are partially overlapped (until the latter part of A Dance With Dragons). I got a real sense of the "Calm Before the Storm", and I think that's what George R.R. Martin was going for. With A Game of Thrones, he put the story in motion basically. With certain character deaths, and particular events shaped the rest of the entire A Song of Ice and Fire series. Then with both A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords we were given what I believe was "chaos". There were betrayals, deaths, and more terror around every corner. So, when you reach both A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons you're left at a point that is now a bridge of sorts, between the chaos of the second and third book, and what I imagine will be full-scale anarchy in the final two books, The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring. And secondly, I think a lot of the negativity is actually towards the length of time George R.R. Martin takes to write the books. Over the course of six years we've had two books that was as I described as the "Calm Before the Storm", and we must wait now until the sixth book has been written. And I understand where a lot of readers can get a bit disgruntled with that, but I also think that it builds even more of an anticipation - we're left in a bit of a limbo now until The Winds of Winter, and not only where the books giving me a sense of the "Calm Before the Storm" but this wait for the next book is like the readers going through the same experience.

[close]

That's what I assumed, it's nice to have it confirmed by a second person. 'ASoS' was so very climatic, that Martin needs two whole books to make a bridge towards the next major (And possibly final) climax.

You know it's a great series of books when you're favourite character dies (It was in 'ASoS' for me), and after all the grieving you realize that he wasn't actually your favourite character at all - and you begin to see more and more qualities of other characters.

I sure never would've imagined that my favourite character in this series would be a 12 year-old girl.

It's great how these books can do that. For me, my favourite three characters are Stannis Baratheon, Jon Snow, and Arya Stark. But, I tried explaining to people who have only watched the show how characters such as Jaime Lannister, and Sansa Stark evolve incredibly. I think A Storm of Swords was the best on many levels. I remember just after I read A Clash of Kings in 2005, that I was like "how can George R.R. Martin make the next book any better than that", but then, when you read the third book it's incredible. On an emotional level, I've not read many books that has had me so engrossed on whether characters live or die before as much as this. And, off course, one of the most memorable parts of the entire book is
Spoiler
the Red Wedding.
[close]
I can't wait to see the faces on people I know who are only watching the show when that happens! :D

Spoiler

[close]

Oh and...
Spoiler
You know nothing Jon Snow!
[close]

The Golden Fox

The Golden Fox

Quote from: Michael Harper on Jan 18, 2012, 11:02:29 PM

Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler

[close]

It's great how these books can do that. For me, my favourite three characters are Stannis Baratheon, Jon Snow, and Arya Stark. But, I tried explaining to people who have only watched the show how characters such as Jaime Lannister, and Sansa Stark evolve incredibly. I think A Storm of Swords was the best on many levels. I remember just after I read A Clash of Kings in 2005, that I was like "how can George R.R. Martin make the next book any better than that", but then, when you read the third book it's incredible. On an emotional level, I've not read many books that has had me so engrossed on whether characters live or die before as much as this. And, off course, one of the most memorable parts of the entire book is
Spoiler
the Red Wedding.
[close]
I can't wait to see the faces on people I know who are only watching the show when that happens! :D

Aye, Sansa, Arya, and Stannis are my three favourite characters. Truly, I never saw that coming.

As for 'that' event:

Spoiler
I loved getting messages from my friends who'd just read the Red Wedding. It's really a great, great moment, but my favourite moment in the book was Tyrion firing that crossbow. I was grinning from ear to ear as I read that.
[close]

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Quote from: The Golden Fox on Jan 18, 2012, 11:10:36 PM
Quote from: Michael Harper on Jan 18, 2012, 11:02:29 PM

Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
the Red Wedding.
[close]

Aye, Sansa, Arya, and Stannis are my three favourite characters. Truly, I never saw that coming.

As for 'that' event:

Spoiler
I loved getting messages from my friends who'd just read the Red Wedding. It's really a great, great moment, but my favourite moment in the book was Tyrion firing that crossbow. I was grinning from ear to ear as I read that.
[close]

The crossbow moment was my favourite part of the entire book. It gave me both a feeling of happiness and at the same time, quite disturbed, by the fact that he did it! After reading it I kept telling myself, "I should have seen that coming" but I really hadn't!

I feel sorry for Sansa through the entirety of A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords. She gets stronger and stronger, which I think is great! But she is made to endure so much. I'll be interested to see how they handle some of the more stronger scenes with Sansa. I can't imagine it'd be that hard. For example the scene in the hall where she
Spoiler
is stripped naked and beaten. I expect that they will probably have her beaten, but still clothed. Or perhaps partially clothed. She's very young so it won't be the same as in the book, which I'm thankful for haha
[close]

The Golden Fox

The Golden Fox

Quote from: Michael Harper on Jan 18, 2012, 11:16:27 PM
The crossbow moment was my favourite part of the entire book. It gave me both a feeling of happiness and at the same time, quite disturbed, by the fact that he did it! After reading it I kept telling myself, "I should have seen that coming" but I really hadn't!

I feel sorry for Sansa through the entirety of A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords. She gets stronger and stronger, which I think is great! But she is made to endure so much. I'll be interested to see how they handle some of the more stronger scenes with Sansa. I can't imagine it'd be that hard. For example the scene in the hall where she
Spoiler
is stripped naked and beaten. I expect that they will probably have her beaten, but still clothed. Or perhaps partially clothed. She's very young so it won't be the same as in the book, which I'm thankful for haha
[close]

They made Sansa older by two years for the TV series, didn't they? But I agree, they probably wouldn't go so far.

Spoiler
I have high hopes for Sansa, although we all know where that leads with Martin. But I love the idea of her laying a claim to the Kingdom of the North (and the Vale, if she becomes Lady of it), and the War of the Five Kings turning into the War of the Three Queens (Sansa, Margaery, and Dany).

But I'm one book behind, so maybe that idea has already become an impossibility. Also, considering the White Walkers, I'm not sure such a war would erupt.
[close]

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Quote from: The Golden Fox on Jan 18, 2012, 11:22:18 PM
Quote from: Michael Harper on Jan 18, 2012, 11:16:27 PM

Spoiler
[close]

They made Sansa older by two years for the TV series, didn't they? But I agree, they probably wouldn't go so far.

Spoiler
I have high hopes for Sansa, although we all know where that leads with Martin. But I love the idea of her laying a claim to the Kingdom of the North (and the Vale, if she becomes Lady of it), and the War of the Five Kings turning into the War of the Three Queens (Sansa, Margaery, and Dany).

But I'm one book behind, so maybe that idea has already become an impossibility. Also, considering the White Walkers, I'm not sure such a war would erupt.
[close]

Spoiler
I'd be surprised if Daenerys didn't at least taste the power of being Queen of the Seven Kingdoms. Even if it is only for a very short amount time. After her entire story to get back home, and claim the Iron Throne, I think she will take it, But it'll be short lived. This is complete speculation, but I think that The Winds of Winter will end in the final quarter of the book with Daenerys taking the Iron Throne, and the War of the Five Kings ending. With Stannis at the Wall with Jon and the rest of the Nights Watch. Sansa at the Eyrie. Arya and Tyrion across the Narrow Sea. Most of the Lannisters dead. And, right at the end, the Others (White Walkers) will breach the Wall. And kill almost everybody there. Jon Snow and Stannis (and some others) will rally up all of Stannis' army, but it is not enough. It will be anarchy and Winter will be horrific. Daenerys believes her Dragons will protect her. And this will lead into the final book (which I expect will be MASSIVE), and it will bring every character back together through specific events. Every character having a use, and doing something significant. And, the Dragons killing the White Walkers, but at the cost, will be Daenerys' life. The Iron Throne will go to whoever has the right. I believe Stannis will be dead, and the right will go to who has the highest right, and that will be Tyrion. But, I think he will be dead at the end too, so the Iron Throne will fall to his wife - Sansa. So, I too think she will end up becomming Queen. Off course, EVERYTHING I just wrote was just speculation. I also think Jon Snow will do something VERY significant before the end, and will not die.
[close]

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Michael Harper on Jan 18, 2012, 11:35:50 PM
Spoiler
I'd be surprised if Daenerys didn't at least taste the power of being Queen of the Seven Kingdoms. Even if it is only for a very short amount time. After her entire story to get back home, and claim the Iron Throne, I think she will take it, But it'll be short lived. This is complete speculation, but I think that The Winds of Winter will end in the final quarter of the book with Daenerys taking the Iron Throne, and the War of the Five Kings ending. With Stannis at the Wall with Jon and the rest of the Nights Watch. Sansa at the Eyrie. Arya and Tyrion across the Narrow Sea. Most of the Lannisters dead. And, right at the end, the Others (White Walkers) will breach the Wall. And kill almost everybody there. Jon Snow and Stannis (and some others) will rally up all of Stannis' army, but it is not enough. It will be anarchy and Winter will be horrific. Daenerys believes her Dragons will protect her. And this will lead into the final book (which I expect will be MASSIVE), and it will bring every character back together through specific events. Every character having a use, and doing something significant. And, the Dragons killing the White Walkers, but at the cost, will be Daenerys' life. The Iron Throne will go to whoever has the right. I believe Stannis will be dead, and the right will go to who has the highest right, and that will be Tyrion. But, I think he will be dead at the end too, so the Iron Throne will fall to his wife - Sansa. So, I too think she will end up becomming Queen. Off course, EVERYTHING I just wrote was just speculation. I also think Jon Snow will do something VERY significant before the end, and will not die.
[close]

As for Jon Snow...

Spoiler
If he really is Rhaegar Targaryen's son (as some people have speculated), maybe he will take the throne?
[close]

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Quote from: Laufey on Jan 18, 2012, 11:38:40 PM
Quote from: Michael Harper on Jan 18, 2012, 11:35:50 PM
Spoiler
[close]

As for Jon Snow...

Spoiler
If he really is Rhaegar Targaryen's son (as some people have speculated), maybe he will take the throne?
[close]

Spoiler
I was thinking that myself. I do think he is Rhaegar's son. But, I think he will deny the Iron Throne, in order to remain with his brothers of the Night's Watch. I've always found Jon Snow to be the character that every young boy wants to be. He's the hero. Though, he doesn't have the greatest of lives. I'm interested in seeing what will truly become of Tyrion though. He is George R.R. Martin's favourite character, and is most people's favourite character too. In that case - he'll probably die haha :P

I also was talking to a friend about Stannis Baratheon. How, when he watches Season 2 he will see Stannis as just another King. Yes, he plays the biggest part in my opinion in the War of the Five Kings, because he does have a certain right to the Throne more than Renly had, and more than Joffrey had. But, as the books continue on, Stannis becomes a character that is just so damn cool. And, is actually a "good" person. But, to get the most of that you'll have to read A Dance With Dragons haha
[close]

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

So, just finished watching episode 9.

:'(

This show is just plain mean.

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on Jan 23, 2012, 05:35:41 AM

You think that's mean? You ain't seen nothin' yet!  ;)

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Michael Harper on Jan 23, 2012, 02:43:16 PM

Wh... whaaat? :'s

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jan 23, 2012, 02:59:47 PM

Just wait  ;D

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jan 23, 2012, 02:59:47 PM

Just wait and see. Book 1 (Season 1) is pretty much just an introduction to characters and sets up everything that follows. Now, the real story begins!

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

oh christ.

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jan 23, 2012, 03:08:05 PM
oh christ.

Oh christ indeed! Especially when Season 3 (or possibly Season 4, depending on how they go through with the third book) arrives!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed